Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
No fuzz on Magnet, oil not dark, no need to remove cover. I like the plug. I change oil often, much cheaper than gears. My 20 JLUR has it and I would not be happy without it but I would put a cover on it that had plug.
Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
When the new XR gets here it will definitely get new covers if there is no drain plugs in the housing.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I guess I'll go against the grain here. I was actually ecstatic when I brought my JLU home and saw that the front and rear both had drain plugs! I remember all the years when Rams and Jeeps had no drain plugs and no fill plugs. Only a rubber stopper to hold the fluid in which would of course leak down the inspection cover.

A true drain and fill plug is awesome! I can still pop the cover during scheduled maintenance and clean the magnet and inspect the spiders, etc. But with the drain and fill plugs I can now also do drain-n-fill very quickly if I find myself in deeper water than expected.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Checked my XR this morning. The rumors are true. The front Rubi diff no longer has a drain plug. I wonder if this is a parts-related change, or a design-related change. In any event, I don’t like it.

A4DDFA47-9DBD-4F8C-87D6-73122BB1980E.jpeg
Fantastic. It's about time.

I've been welding these shut for some time.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
For those that don't have a torque wrench, I'd suggest either buy one or take it to the dealer or an indy shop and let them do it.

But again, if mine were like this I'd just change it out at maybe 100k miles and not worry about it before then. I have never seen front gear lube come out of my YJ, JK, or JL that looked even remotely spent. I remember changing the YJ's front fluid at close to 100k and it looked fine. The rear gets most of the work and wear. The front has a pretty easy life, even when used off road a lot.
Yeah, torque wrench is one of those "don't need to have it, but it's best if you do" tools. Except that they can provide a false sense of security if you don't use them properly.

For instance, with regular bolts, you need to make sure no lube, oil, water, etc. is on the threads, or you get an inaccurate reading. However, for stainless steel bolts, you (usually) need to put anti-seize on the threads to prevent galling. Torque values listed for things take all this into account.

Then there are those TTY (torque to yield) bolts. The ones where you torque to like 50ft/lb and then turn an additional 1/2 turn. Those are my favorite. Still can't figure out why they don't just say "torque to 75ft/lb". There has to be a reason - I just don't know it.

ducati2v

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep JKUR
Yup, noticed it wasn't on our 4xe Rub either.

My 4xe does has a drain plug. I took delivery May 5th but looks like others have more recent builds than this and have it too.

Personally, I like the drain plug. It gives you the option of a quick change or doing a full cover-off inspection.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Checked my XR this morning. The rumors are true. The front Rubi diff no longer has a drain plug. I wonder if this is a parts-related change, or a design-related change. In any event, I don’t like it.

A4DDFA47-9DBD-4F8C-87D6-73122BB1980E.jpeg
You shouldn't like it... you should love it. I have an entire thread on how that little bolt (but on the rear axle of a Sahara) came out and got us new D44s. They should NEVER have put the bolt on the bottom of the diff on a vehicle designed to off road.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I went out and checked my Overland JT and it does have drain plug. Built 5-27-21.

There are guys on the JT forum with Rubicons built this summer that do NOT have the drain plug.

So I wonder if this is a running change that happened at some specific day during the summer OR does it have anything to do with heavy duty vs. standard axles?

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has tried to please both sides of the debate with my 2020 Rubicon JL:
Drain plug as pictured in the front differential
No drain plug (cover popper) in the rear differential

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I change mine annually given I wheel quite a bit. I'd argue if you do, and enter water -- you should change more frequently. At the same time, potting the sensors as preventive is a common thing owners should consider doing early on. In my case, my lockers were already starting to have issues engaging after 3k miles. Mine will get potted after break in at first oil change which I'll be doing at 3k.
What do you use for potting?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has tried to please both sides of the debate with my 2020 Rubicon JL:
Drain plug as pictured in the front differential
No drain plug (cover popper) in the rear differential
Did you look on the side? The rear isn't on the bottom but rather the side toward the rear.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T