Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Checked my XR this morning. The rumors are true. The front Rubi diff no longer has a drain plug. I wonder if this is a parts-related change, or a design-related change. In any event, I don’t like it.

A4DDFA47-9DBD-4F8C-87D6-73122BB1980E.jpeg
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Glad you brought up the point and counterpoint.

Not sure it's all Rubicons. I *think* it's only been seen so far on eXtreme Recons.

I have a Rubicon on order. It would actually make me happier if it's done this way.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Of course, this is the argument for removing it:

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 9B2FD529-A7BF-4E1E-83A6-333B57DCF2AE
This is exactly why. It’s not that hard to loosen the bolts to drain it, plus you can clean it better that way.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I would always remove the diff cover anyway. Seems odd to have a drain plug on something you'd want to inspect anyway, especially in the place where it is most likely to be damaged. Makes it quicker for the quicky-lube places, but not an advantage for someone that does their own work and wants to look things over.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I see no reason for a drain plug on a diff. In fact the Jeep's are the only vehicles I have ever seen with a drain plug. I find it odd and concerning that it would put someone out to do something as simple as removing a diff cover to drain fluid.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I see no reason for a drain plug on a diff. In fact the Jeep's are the only vehicles I have ever seen with a drain plug. I find it odd and concerning that it would put someone out to do something as simple as removing a diff cover to drain fluid.
Ha try that on a Ford 9" style diff :).

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I will double check, but I think it was missing from my Rubicon as well. V6 eTorque delivered in early September.

OK - can of worms here, quick glance at the maintenance plan it says to change front and rear axle fluid at 40,000 miles if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet off-road or frequent trailer towing.
it doesn't seem to list any light duty (my words) interval for changing.

So is 40K a reasonable mileage to change front and rear diff fluids?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Ha try that on a Ford 9" style diff :).
We are not talking a Ford 9". In the case of those (and a lot of Toyota diffs) then it is a very simple third member removal. Only difference is having to remove the driveshaft.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I will double check, but I think it was missing from my Rubicon as well. V6 eTorque delivered in early September.

OK - can of worms here, quick glance at the maintenance plan it says to change front and rear axle fluid at 40,000 miles if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet off-road or frequent trailer towing.
it doesn't seem to list any light duty (my words) interval for changing.

So is 40K a reasonable mileage to change front and rear diff fluids?
I change mine annually given I wheel quite a bit. I'd argue if you do, and enter water -- you should change more frequently. At the same time, potting the sensors as preventive is a common thing owners should consider doing early on. In my case, my lockers were already starting to have issues engaging after 3k miles. Mine will get potted after break in at first oil change which I'll be doing at 3k.
Sponsored