Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I don't usually jump in on long threads, but my experience lends a bit more insight into the issue. I bought a new JLR in January 2021 that had a production date of October 2020. It had the drain plug on the bottom of the front diff. Due to an issue that I'll cover in a longer post later, I had to replace it earlier this month. I found the only JLR in 3 states and bought it. Production date is May 2021, and there is no drain plug on the bottom of the front diff. Thus, it was apparently a mid- model year change. I like it.

Surfarch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURxR
Has anyone found a front diff skid that will work with this new diff cover? With the drain plug relocated to the front, none of the skids I have found work with it. They all have drain access holes in the bottom. Rancho has acknowledged it, but no new part number yet, that I can find.

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 1647901307473

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found a front diff skid that will work with this new diff cover? With the drain plug relocated to the front, none of the skids I have found work with it. They all have drain access holes in the bottom. Rancho has acknowledged it, but no new part number yet, that I can find.

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 1647901307473
That's not the drain plug, that's the fill plug. The drain plug is on the bottom of the diff on the old diff and I believe bottom side on the new diffs.

Surfarch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURxR
That's not the drain plug, that's the fill plug. The drain plug is on the bottom of the diff on the old diff and I believe bottom side on the new diffs.
Pretty sure there is no plug. Can't see one anywhere. I'm just looking for a skid that will help prevent peeling it open like a tuna can.

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 1647902211973

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 1647902242962

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure there is no plug. Can't see one anywhere. I'm just looking for a skid that will help prevent peeling it open like a tuna can.

Jeep Wrangler JL It’s true: the drain plug has been removed from the front diff on Rubicon 1647902242962

I'm telling you the plug you showed is the fill plug :)
I haven't seen the new diff yet but the square on the bottom is where the plug used to be. I thought that moved it about an inch over to the bottom side of the diff like it is on the Rubicon rear axles. It has to be there on the bottom side but your pics are too far out.

Surfarch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURxR
I'm telling you the plug you showed is the fill plug :)
I haven't seen the new diff yet but the square on the bottom is where the plug used to be. I thought that moved it about an inch over to the bottom side of the diff like it is on the Rubicon rear axles. It has to be there on the bottom side but your pics are too far out.
The leopard camouflaged mud splotches don't help with the photos either. But when I am under there, I see no plug. Maybe it is gone and they expect us to remove the cover to drain it? Either way, I'd still like to have a skid for it. I just don't like that seam across the bottom.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The leopard camouflaged mud splotches don't help with the photos either. But when I am under there, I see no plug. Maybe it is gone and they expect us to remove the cover to drain it? Either way, I'd still like to have a skid for it. I just don't like that seam across the bottom.
Look on the sides of that bottom square. It could be there is none but I would find that odd since there is a magnet on it to collect shavings. If there truly isn't one you need to go old school and pull the cover which you should be doing anyway on a fluid change so you can inspect and clean out.

The Rancho diff skid will be fine regardless of where the plug is or if there isn't even a plug. I've run it on two jeeps with good results.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal

Just put a stronger diff cover on. I’m putting on Dana/Spicer diff covers on mine.

Surfarch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURxR
No aftermarket diff covers I can find that will fit. Some in the works, but not out yet. I'm going with a skid. Not only due to availability of a cover, but also concerns about warranty. Heard issues with that due to potential lube flow differences from aftermarket covers. Once warranty expires, may add a cover then.

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
No aftermarket diff covers I can find that will fit. Some in the works, but not out yet. I'm going with a skid. Not only due to availability of a cover, but also concerns about warranty. Heard issues with that due to potential lube flow differences from aftermarket covers. Once warranty expires, may add a cover then.
I ordered the Dana/spicer covers designed for these axles.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I just ordered this skid for my 2022 XR. Kinda spendy, but the only one I've found that's specific for the larger XR front axle- https://nextventuremotorsports.com/collections/jeep-wrangler-jl/products/jl-front-diff-skid-fds. Won't have it for a few weeks, so we'll see!

Last edited:

Surfarch

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURxR
That is my preferred one. It says this one requires a shim/spacer to account for the factory cover's thinner material. They recommend getting the cover too. I've heard issues with warranty due to potential different fluid distribution with aftermarket covers. I might have to wait.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...concerns about warranty. Heard issues with that due to potential lube flow differences from aftermarket covers.
How would that occur? The fill hole on any differential cover should be located in such a manner to guarantee a fluid volume sufficient for safe operation with that particular cover in situ.
Sponsored