wolf

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Before you seal it for life by potting it, there’s a chance the issue is not so much the conductance of an oil soaked PCB but possibly thermal/vibration micofractures at the soldering points (bad Chinese soak solder process).

LG TV’s are famous for their crappy motherboards dropping HDMI inputs. We’ve set the toaster oven to 450 F and baked the board to bring it back to life. Might need to do the same with the locker HET sensor but potting it will all but guarantee taking that option off the table.
I like the no drain plug. You can use the fluid evacuator to get it out. That way you don't break the cover seal. That's how I would change it if I didn't have the drain plug.
I think you're misunderstanding what's happening when the sensors fail. It's not cold/cracked joints.

They're failing because the gear oil has metal flake in it which is shorting out 1 of the 3 capacitors on the board. The potting material is just keeping the gear oil from getting to the PCB.

Nothing more than that.
Has anyone done this? Have a friend in Colorado who has a business and has about 15 vehicles (trucks) does heavy maintenance all over with a lot of driving. He told me when discussing this thread that for almost 40 years he changed his differential fluid by draining about 30 percent of the fluid and adding kerosene. Then drive for a while until good and warm. Then drain immediately. Cleans everything out. These are heavy duty gas and diesel trucks 1/2 to 5 tons. Job site vehicles. He does this every time he changes oil. These differentials are upwards of 8000 dollars. He has never had any problems of any kind and yes there are some (most) 4wh dr. With electrical cylinoids etc. He is still working and doing his own maintenance.
Advertisement

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I fear there's not enough failures to make a business case for the aftermarket to supply these. That would be another solution I'd love to see.
Actually there is. The aftermarket jumped on this a long time ago. Personally I would only go this route after your warranty runs out.

This part completely bypasses the failure point and has the lockers working seamlessly. Simply purchase aftermarket E-Locker or Air Locker of your choice. A very cheap and reliable upgrade to the poorly OEM designed and unavailable locker sensor.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...sJKkccHh6IXyk6Yslcgo2HmMuruJczzQaAoI5EALw_wcB

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Actually there is. The aftermarket jumped on this a long time ago. Personally I would only go this route after your warranty runs out.

This part completely bypasses the failure point and has the lockers working seamlessly. Simply purchase aftermarket E-Locker or Air Locker of your choice. A very cheap and reliable upgrade to the poorly OEM designed and unavailable locker sensor.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...sJKkccHh6IXyk6Yslcgo2HmMuruJczzQaAoI5EALw_wcB
True! But that is a bandaid or workaround rather than a full repair. And I do have one of those in my rear storage compartment, just in case. I was really referring to an aftermarket replacement for the sensor itself, for a full and proper repair. But functionally and practically, I do think that cable will do the job.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

wolf

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

Can you use this bypass with the stock lockers and switches?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Can you use this bypass with the stock lockers and switches?
Yes, that is what it was designed for to essentially trick the stock set up.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It just doesn't tell you the state of your locker. Granted, it usually isn't hard to tell but people should know they don't get any lights when using this cable.
Have you used it? I was told that it actually would still give you the indications. The problem would be if the locker gets stuck in the engaged position, it would not tell you.

But I could have been misinformed.

If you have not used it, I'd love to hear from somene who had their sensor fail and used this bypass harness.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe
Have you used it? I was told that it actually would still give you the indications. The problem would be if the locker gets stuck in the engaged position, it would not tell you.

If you have not used it, I'd love to hear from somene who had their sensor fail and used this bypass harness.
I promise you’ll know if the locker doesn’t disengage.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I promise you’ll know if the locker doesn’t disengage.
Of course. But the way I understand it is that when you press the button to disengage, the light will go off and show it to be disengaged when it actually is not, when using the ZAuto harness. Whereas with a functioning sensor, it would alert you. Not sure that this is true, but it was how it was explained to me.

So yeah, your ass becomes the sensor, LOL!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe
Of course. But the way I understand it is that when you press the button to disengage, the light will go off and show it to be disengaged when it actually is not, when using the ZAuto harness. Whereas with a functioning sensor, it would alert you. Not sure that this is true, but it was how it was explained to me.

So yeah, your ass becomes the sensor, LOL!
Yup. But let’s say it errors out. What are you gonna do differently? You may know a minute earlier, but it’s still gonna be a bitch to even steer.

TJJL19

First Name
TJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
What are you talking about, you forgot to take off the racist post that I replied too!

Dyolfknip74

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

I have not, just spend a lot of time here. Lol. From what I understand it doesn't tell you it's on or off.

Advertisement

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement