DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Would the Spicer still let the drivetrain be covered under warranty, since it is a Dana product?
I seriously doubt you'd have any issue. It is from the same company that designed and supplied the original, so it'd be hard for someone to argue it caused a problem.
Sponsored

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
Matt is spot on.

I am a thinker. Every little operation has to be planned down to the last nut and bolt, as it were. Pull the cover, or just the plug? There will always be a little left in the pan, axle tubes, cylinder heads, etc. and I can live with the 3%.

At one time, I even wrote a DOS based app that would calculate the capacity of the engine, transmission, etc. against how much oil came out and would tell you the % of clean oil after 1 change, 2 changes, etc.

If I think something is going on, I will put some cheap oil in, drive it a round a few minutes and drain it for the good stuff.

Luckily, these Advantek axles (30 front and 44 rear) have drain plugs. if I see anything suspicious in the color or on the magnet, I will pull the cover or run it over to the dealer. When I put the new heavier covers on, I made sure everything was good, figured fill levels according to the changed caster, etc. and went to town. It is that easier 5-10 minute process that is priceless. Even pulling the cover and taking a half or full hour is better then never doing it. But, I have always maintained everything I own myself and don't mind doing it.

The main point here is that we all want to take care of our vehicles. This is a Jeep thing just like it is a 60s muscle car thing or the local Miata enthusiast's group thing. We are in the five percent of vehicle owners who actually fret this and have, at times, spirited conversations about silly little things, like the lack of a drain plug or how much old oil is still in the sump!

Some people say man up and pull it, others are just as happy to have a plug. Personally, I will do what it takes to get the job done, but yeah, I prefer drain plugs.

Axles ain't cheap!!!

I know people who literally do no maintenance and either whine when it dies or just go get a new vehicle. A lot have issues because they are afraid to ask for help or think they will get jerked around and crucial maintenance gets missed. I suspect a lot of drivers are that way.

There are some who know they need to do more and might remember at Jiffy Lube to ask, which is a mistake, but at least they are trying. I am the neighborhood/circle of friends car guy. They all come to me because I am square with them and they appreciate the insight and understand that $30 of gear oil is much better than the alternative.

At the end of the day, be glad you have the understanding and the ability to do it yourself and are wanting to keep the life of your vehicle up! The once a year oil change crowd has no clue.

If this is the biggest issue, unscrew a plug or pull the cover, you are not doing too bad, in my opinion.
Sponsored