Sponsored

Issues with soft top and hard rear enclosures (diabolical, tuffy, backbone)

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
So I love my soft top but I needed a locking rear trunk. I went with the backbone as it was only $400 when I bought it vs $700 for the Diabolical slipstream and the Tuffy not available. I like the easy removal of one or both top sections without tools in just a minute, the clean look, and the aluminum construction. (I modded it like someone posted here to make it tool-free except I use 2 quick c-clamps for the top section.) It stays on all the time unless I remove it to carry something large. No rattles and keeps most of the rain out.

But a few problems with all of these for those of us who keep their soft tops on in the summer. The JL soft top is designed to drop into the tub a few inches and these tops prevent this. Instead the top sits on top of the tub security cover. That causes a few issues:
1. The top won't lock down. Not a big issue for me as I use velcro straps or a boot.
2. The top sits about 3 inches higher (above the 3rd brake light) obstructing some (more) rear vision.
3. The rear of the top sits directly on the metal security cover and will cause wear on the fabric top. I saw a video here where one diabolical slipstream owner put some foam pads on the corners to help prevent wear.

I can do the foam, but I am looking for a better solution. I am thinking of having a friend who does metal work modify the rear piece of the Backbone to let the top drop down into the tub as it is designed to do and at the same time fix the issue with the contact that causes the wear.

Or I may make my own boot that covers the entire top. The only boot available (by @JTopsUSA ) does not cover the bottom fold of the soft top. That looks fine when the top is fully down with no security enclosure, but on the enclosure, it doesn't cover it all and doesn't prevent the wear issue. I'm not sure why JTops decided not to cover the whole top with the boot. It is an otherwise high quality product and easy to put on.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

Stonewall Lee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
I also have looked hard at the Backbone, and have been concerned about the soft top not folding and locking. Glad to get your first hand experience on the fabric wear and the fit of the JTops USA boot cover. I might could live with the top not locking down and a little less rear view but not the wear on my extra cost premium soft top. Hope someone comes out with a full coverage boot cover.

Mmoran33

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Backbone and the JTops boot cover. You can fit the cover over the whole soft top to protect it. The JTops video shows a different method to allow the soft top to sit in the well and “lock down.” Since that is not possible with the Backbone, you can just put the JTops boot cover around the whole folded down soft top. I’m very happy with both products. I’ll take some pics the next time I do it, but New England weather doesn’t appear to make that likely this weekend.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know about the JTop and the backbone. I have a backbone installed and just put some sticky foam down though it doesn't like to stay in one place then use velcro straps to make sure nothing bounces.

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Backbone and the JTops boot cover. You can fit the cover over the whole soft top to protect it. The JTops video shows a different method to allow the soft top to sit in the well and “lock down.” Since that is not possible with the Backbone, you can just put the JTops boot cover around the whole folded down soft top. I’m very happy with both products. I’ll take some pics the next time I do it, but New England weather doesn’t appear to make that likely this weekend.
I tried real hard to fit the JTops boot cover over the whole top. No possible way. Either your JTops boot cover is different than mine or perhaps you have the standard soft top and not the deluxe one so yours is thinner. @JTopsUSA : is it supposed to cover the whole top??

Sponsored

Mmoran33

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go. I have the premium top. Sorry I don’t have a pic from the rear, but this is the second time I’ve installed it this way. Admittedly the last “lower corner” is a bit challenging to get over but it definitely works.

716E9846-8A37-4063-9A9C-E879B20FE699.jpeg

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @Mmoran33 . Yeah, no possible way mine will do that. Beginning to think they sent me the JK version instead. I think I may make my own. Dad does upholstery. Pretty simple construction. Will do one that fully covers the top and doesn't require a contortionist to install. Perhaps with some built-in straps to secure down with or without the back cover on. Will post pics when done.

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that's the reason for my "forced upgrade" to a JL in Jan 2018. 2.5 rotations (one lateral, one end-over-end) after oncoming driver fell asleep on curvy mountain road. concussion and banged up shoulder from driver side pillar. Jeep well protected me otherwise. So upgraded for side airbags.
Sponsored