Sponsored

Issues with local service if you buy out of state?

marthasiny

First Name
Martha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Planning on buying jeep out of state or out of local area. Have you experienced any issues with bring it to local dealership for warrany or other services?
Sponsored

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Shouldn't be an issues. Have bought several different cars and makes out of state and wasn't a problem. If its warranty work any Jeep dealership in the US has to comply and honor it. Any other service they give you problems with you should find a new dealership that appreciates your business

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Bought both of my JLUR's out of the local area and no problems with local service.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You shouldn’t have issues getting warranty work done regardless of where you purchased. With that said you are more likely to encounter problems getting warranty work done with a dealer you didn’t purchase from. While they’re not supposed to they do care if you didn’t purchase there. It’s just how the industry is.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Purchased my JL out of state and not had any issues with the local shop. They've been good to deal with the few times I've been in there.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don't want to respond simply to hear myself speak when I concur with the above, but rather to offer a different angle.

Especially if the dealer was given a chance to beat a price, but even if not, warranty work, indeed service forms much of a dealer's profits.

Sure, what FCA pays may be less than what you pay out of pocket, so if the dealer is really busy they may push you off, but due to COVID, my local dealer is currently slow and would love service revenue of any kind despite my not purchasing my vehicle there.

They have been very good on service at all times.

I gave this dealer opportunity to match a price I was willing to drive quite a distance for. When they responded with frustration about not being about to compete I said, "sure you can. Open up a high volume heavily discounted side business, where FCA will credit you with monies for moving so much product, whose profits you share with the consumer like the deep discount outfits do."

These discounters make small profits on large numbers of factory ordered sales like mine, and do quite well for themselves, especially in light of the fact that many of their customers get their service done locally and are never to be seen at the again--until next purchase.

Fear of inadequate service at the dealer you turned down, IMHO, should never trump getting the best price someplace else, factory order or not.

If you have time, a factory order with one of these dealers IMHO is the way to go. Check the Ordering, Pricing, Production and Tracking sub forum for more details.

You get deep discounts, don't pay for accessories you don't want, nor do without the accessories you do want buying the dealer's inventory, or some other dealer's inventory in a swap.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have bought out of state many times, and yes, I’ve had warranty issues with the only local Jeep dealer we have. But it is impossible to provide a blanket “yes, you will have issues”/“no, you won’t.” In the end, it will depend on the dealer itself whether it gives you problems or not.

If your dealer gives you trouble and you live on a large metro area, there may be other dealers within reasonable distance that are happy to take your business.

Either way, that won’t stop me from buying a vehicle from a dealer that is out of my county or state,

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How would a service department know where you bought your Jeep?
I believe they can see on the VIN’s history where it was first PDI-ed.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Bought in Idaho and live close to the Oregon coast. No issues with service

Planning on buying jeep out of state or out of local area. Have you experienced any issues with bring it to local dealership for warrany or other services?
Sponsored