Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So I just replaced my batteries and I cant secure the main negative post. As you rotate the main nut it is supposed to lock itself. But the lower end ate through the metal and it is rotating freely. obvious solution is to hold the lower end with a tool but there is no space there to place a small wrench. Any ideas?
Jeep Wrangler JL Issues securing negative post main battery IMG_20220902_123152596

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@entropy

That I have seen multiple times / different JL's. Is the result of overtightening. Always the same one...

You can replace that bolt..

As you say is obvious..... For now, place a flat tip screwdriver so it keeps the square bolt head from spinning... then tighten the nut on the other side...

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@entropy

That I have seen multiple times / different JL's. Is the result of overtightening. Always the same one...

As you say is obvious..... For now, place a flat tip screwdriver so it keeps the square bolt head from spinning... then tighten the nut on the other side...
Yeah I figured I overtightened. I guess it cant take much.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@entropy

Didnt work. I am gonna have to figure out something else. Cant even get the thing off so I might have to cut the bolt

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Didnt work. I am gonna have to figure out something else. Cant even get the thing off so I might have to cut the bolt
@entropy

The few that I dealt with that were like that I was able to wedge a large flat head screwdriver head, into the mix so that the bolt was secure enough so the nut could be tightened.

If the nut is cross threaded or damaged and difficult to turn/thread downwards then I can see you would not be able to tighten.

Use a Dremel with a cutting blade and cut that bolt and replace it. I had to do that on one JL a couple of years back.

Whenever I talk to guys about battery changes on a JL, I always warn them to go easy and not overtighten that one on the negative.

I also tell them, to as soon as they disconnect the pos side bundle, that they wrap the bundle in a shop cloth so it does not touch metal and blow the N3 fuse in the high amp fuse array.

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6
If the nut/bolt are spinning like the video you posted, then the cable/clamp is not fastened.
Twist/yank it off and then use some wrenches to get the nut/bolt off and replace them.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

@entropy

The few that I dealt with that were like that I was able to wedge a large flat head screwdriver head, into the mix so that the bolt was secure enough so the nut could be tightened.

If the nut is cross threaded or damaged and difficult to turn/thread downwards then I can see you would not be able to tighten.

Use a Dremel with a cutting blade and cut that bolt and replace it. I had to do that on one JL a couple of years back.

Whenever I talk to guys about battery changes on a JL, I always warn them to go easy and not overtighten that one on the negative.

I also tell them, to as soon as they disconnect the pos side bundle, that they wrap the bundle in a shop cloth so it does not touch metal and blow the N3 fuse in the high amp fuse array.
And that was the case.

Fixed. Thanks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Issues securing negative post main battery IMG_20220902_182342028
Jeep Wrangler JL Issues securing negative post main battery IMG_20220902_182342028
Sponsored