Issue with Rock Krawler 2.5" x-factor AND stock wheels/35" tires

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Edit: please note, this issue is of my own making. It comes from me wanting to keep my stock wheels and keep the 35s under the fender. I had no issues with the stock Rubicon height or with the mopar 2” lift. Therefore I thought I shouldn't have any issues with any other lift either. This could have easy been solved with wheel spacers but I don’t want to go that route. Maybe when wider fenders are available.

I finished my install of the Rock Krawler 2.5" x-factor lift a few days ago. I love it so far but one problem I have is with the stock wheels and 35" tires. On a hard turn, the tire runs into the lower control arm.

Looking at the Mopar 2" lift lower control arms, which I took out for Rock Krawler, I noticed they are bent inward so that this can't happen. On the Rock Krawler lower control arms, they are bent but only in the up down direction thus causing rubbing on a tight turn.

I have 3 options:
  1. Put the Mopar lower control arms back in. I don't care for this because the Rock Krawler lower control arms have better joints.
  2. Add washers to the steer stops to restrict the turning radius. I already did this and it took 5 washers per side! Leaving only about 3/8" usable thread. It might be a bit harder to turn into parking spots now.
  3. Buy new wheels. I do want new wheels but I am trying to find something with an offset closer to stock wheels. We have laws requiring tread sticking out past the fenders.
Your thoughts?

@Rock Krawler Suspension

Here is the Mopar LCA showing the bend
IMG_5463.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I forgot to mention, I have a Rubicon so my axles are wider than the other models by 1.5" each axle

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
How about wheel spacers? It might not take much to fix the issue!

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
RK recommends 4.5" backspace wheels with 35's if I'm not mistaken. Stock Rubicon wheels have a backspace of about 6". You could use wheel spacers.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just assumed that my wheels and tires fit for the 2” mopar lift then it would fit the RK lift. I didn’t realize mopar LCAs bent inward. Of coarse there could be rubbing elsewhere as I haven’t done a full flex test yet.

I don’t think you can claim 4.5” BS across the board anymore.Rubicons axles are longer than sport and saraha axles. I would like to get a wheel with a 25mm to 30mm offset. That puts the tire 1/2 to 3/4” further out. Granted a 1/2” might not be enough.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Actually, the specifically state Rubicons with high line fenders and give recommendations for all the other models as well. It's right on their web site.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just checked their website, they don't mention wheel recommendations for 35's on a Rubicon just 37's. But that said, it obviously doesn't work in this configuration. How bad is the rubbing? I still think wheel spacers are the cheapest option unless you are getting new wheels. In that case go with a 4.5" backspace and you're good up to 37".

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Dam a 4.5 backspace is going to stick out a long ways like 3" on a 9" wheel. I'm sure there's lots of guys that don't want them hanging out that far. I'd think these guys would build something to work with the new platform better. I see metalcloak has a choice on there 3.5 kit. More than 5.5 and less than 5.5 on backspace.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here is where it rubs. The white is just chalk I used to see if it was still rubbing after I added the washers.
8FC84743-252B-448E-B0C8-FD686454A79A.jpeg
And here are the washers I added to stop the rubbing:
AAB64765-B51E-4B01-94FF-952FB133EBAE.jpeg

I bet the stock 6.125” backspace would be fine on a 9” width wheel. That would put the center of the wheel out .75” farther. That probably doesn’t exist though.

It could be rubbing in other places but I can’t do a proper flex test until I get longer shocks so for now I think I will just leave it as is.

I can’t tell how the metalcloak LCAs are bent but if they are bent the same way as the RK ones then they would have the exact same problem.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 9" wheel with the same backspace as stock would rub worse.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A 9" wheel with the same backspace as stock would rub worse.
No. The inside wheel edge would be exactly the same. The outside wheel edge would be out 1.5” more and the offset would be half that at .75” farther out.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well dam my math said you would be 3mm further in than a 7.5 wheel and 35mm further out.

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I got some ProComp sreelies for the 35" off-road tires and they stick out quite a ways. 4.25" backspace. I actually like the stance.
20180612_125406.jpg

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well dam my math said you would be 3mm further in than a 7.5 wheel and 35mm further out.
Are you using a tire calculator? If two wheels of differing widths have the same BS then the inner wheel edges are the same. I dont follow how you get 3mm

I’m not rubbing at the wheel or even the tire sidewall. Just the corner tire tread which should move out .75” when going from a 7.5” wheel to a 9” wheel(of the same BS)

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
For 35" tires, sport/sahara and rubicon would both need 4.5" back space, on a rubicon you can probably get away with more but you would have to experiment there. I'm curious what you have for clearance on your back wheels and the sway bar links, in our experience, you can't bolt factory wheels on with the sway bar links installed correctly.

Adam C
Sponsored