Issue with Navigation on 8 inch touchscreen

Rickg667

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 62 CJ-5, 54 m38a1, 52 m38a1c
Anyone have a solution to the navigation system breaking on an 18 JLUR? I took it to the dealer today and they told me that there is a software update that I need? My navigation has me driving in the lake, East is west and north is south. It is also telling me speed limits for whatever road I am on etc. I thought this was a radio/navigation unit issue that would be warranty repaired, but it seems that the dealer is asking me to wait a few weeks and the new update will fix it. Sounds like a crock to me but...
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The dealer should be able to perform the software update for you.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Had the exact same issues on mine a few months back- turned out the cellular data card that's integral to the radio had failed. The compass and GPS both need that to function properly. To see if your card has failed, go to the the wi-fi hotspot app and see if you have any cell signal bars. Mine had zero bars all the time, indicating it had failed.

No software update will fix that. In my case, the dealer replaced the entire head unit under warranty. Good luck!

HipCheck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon V6
Anyone have a solution to the navigation system breaking on an 18 JLUR? I took it to the dealer today and they told me that there is a software update that I need? My navigation has me driving in the lake, East is west and north is south. It is also telling me speed limits for whatever road I am on etc. I thought this was a radio/navigation unit issue that would be warranty repaired, but it seems that the dealer is asking me to wait a few weeks and the new update will fix it. Sounds like a crock to me but...
Mine had me further and further out to sea over a 4 month period. I went to the dealer. They said every other Jeep has this issue. They perform a firmware update and if it doesn't work, you need a new unit, like I did. Except the gave me a refurbished one under warranty.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I would disagree that every other Jeep has this issue- I also have a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the same 8.4 radio, and no issues. Pretty sure a "firmware update" would be a stall tactic by the dealer. If the cellular card has failed, it will create the same symptoms the OP noted. No software or firmware updates will fix that. Lots of info in another forum on this issue- usually trying to update it will brick it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Except the gave me a refurbished one under warranty.
You will not see a new unit as a warranty replacement. Unfortunately, there’s nothing in the warranty terms that states the replacement unit must be new.

Last edited:

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
My GPS went out about an hour or two prior to the OTA update. The update bricked the unit. My dads GPS went out at about the same time so something is up. He hasn't had an update so everything is working except the map.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
So in reading All of this Dont do the update ???? And check on the wifi signal card thing? Wth? This is the second unit gone out in 2 years. I have 2018. And Jeep needs to step up and tell us how to fix this?
Sponsored