Issue w/ Metalcloak Tie Rod & Stabilizer Kit for JL

emcoach11

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I purchased the HD Dog-Legged Tie Rod & Stabilizer Kit, JL Wrangler/JT Gladiator, Rubicon, RockSport Edition (https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-...ed-tie-rod-kit-rubicon-rocksport-edition.html) - and my understanding from reading the requirements and product description. It says works with stock backspacing. In addition, it says "comes with dual 1-ton forged and heat treated 1" Dog-Leg Rod-Ends that have strength AND provides clearance for use with stock or aftermarket wheels".

My 2019 Jeep RUBICON is running stock wheels and tires right now. I installed the tie rod and when doing a sharp turn the tie rod rubs on the inside of my wheel. Not good so I removed it and put my stock tie rod back on. I am not sure how this tie rod works if it says you can have stock wheels on it. Do I just not do sharp turns and yeah it's good? Has anyone had this issue? MC informed me they've never had this issue and offered a steering stop bolt solution or when I decide to upgrade my wheels I could throw it back on. Am I missing something here?

IMG_1828.jpeg

IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno thats kinda odd, that steering looks super sharp, i wonder if your stop bolts are shorter or something. Im just grasping at straws. Thats all i would to is stick a few washers behind the bolt. But it does state works with stock wheels so im not entirely sure

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Are both the dog legged ends the same bend? Maybe one got bent less?

OP
OP
emcoach11

emcoach11

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Are both the dog legged ends the same bend? Maybe one got bent less?
Yeah both are intact and are the same bend. There was only scuffs from the rubbing that occured.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Issue w/ Metalcloak Tie Rod & Stabilizer Kit for JL images (4)

Sorry, I've got nothing but jokes. Never heard of any others on this forum having that problem. That does look like a very sharp turn angle, i wonder if your steering stops came improperly adjusted.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah both are intact and are the same bend. There was only scuffs from the rubbing that occured.
Plus one on your turn stops. Back the tire off until it clears. Then see how far away from the stops you are . Then either turn them out or add washers. I don’t think you’ll even notice the difference in turning radius.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
1 or 2 washers in the steering stops and you’re golden. And you won’t miss that tiny amount of steering angle. I’ve got 2 in from a slight sway bar link rub I had prior to getting wheels with more offset. I’ve been meaning to take them out but always forget.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@emcoach11 - I had the same issue on my Rubicon when @rustyshakelford installed them. @Metalcloak said I was one of a handful (at the time) who they knew had this issue. MC states that variations in manufacturing tolerances by FCA is the culprit.

They suggested I add some washers to the stops, but that did not work. I could not add enough washers to create enough clearance to stop the rubbing at full lock (not enough thread on the stops).

I was going to be upgrading to 35" tires at that point and I wanted to keep my OEM wheels so I installed a set of Synergy spacers and that solved it.

Hope this helps!

Matsonian

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Matson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Thank you to the OP for the thread... just give us a call next week so we can (1) figure out what went wrong and (2) get you replacement ends or (3) refund the product if it is not working the way we promised.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
What is your toe set at? That will change how far the tire will turn in when it hits the steering stops. 1/16 in is a where you want it.
Sponsored