Issue upgrading to a Mopar steel bumper on a Rubicon

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon with a plastic bumper and I have just purchased a Mopar Steel bumper. Im looking at the skid plate mounting brackets and they look different than the ones in the instructions and there are two additional holes with welded hex nuts to the verticle side of the plates. The parts department at the dealership are clueless. It does not look like the plates are a proper fit for putting on the steel skid plate and looks like too much plate. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't want to spend an hour taking the bumper off just to find out these plates don't work, Suggestions?
Sponsored

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
You're going to need a few things .... Give your parts department these numbers

Brackets (if the skip plate did not come with them) Right side - 68353837AA and left side - 68353836AA
Rivnuts for the brackets to frame - Need 4 -- 06511076AA
Screws for rivnuts to hold brackets - Need 4 -- 6104414AA
Screws to hold skid plate to bracket - Need 2 -- 06512587AA

The skid plate is held by 5 of these on the bumper. My bumper was missing a few of these. Order as needed 68355472AA

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Should also mention that the plastic trim piece is different. You will need this 6BU43RXFAB if it wasn't included with your bumper

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you purchase the steel bumper and skid plate new or used? The new skid plate from mopar is to come with the parts itstotalbacon mentioned. But used, you do have to get those parts.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you purchase the steel bumper and skid plate new or used? The new skid plate from mopar is to come with the parts itstotalbacon mentioned. But used, you do have to get those parts.
New in the box

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're going to need a few things .... Give your parts department these numbers

Brackets (if the skip plate did not come with them) Right side - 68353837AA and left side - 68353836AA
Rivnuts for the brackets to frame - Need 4 -- 06511076AA
Screws for rivnuts to hold brackets - Need 4 -- 6104414AA
Screws to hold skid plate to bracket - Need 2 -- 06512587AA

The skid plate is held by 5 of these on the bumper. My bumper was missing a few of these. Order as needed 68355472AA
Yea the parts number you list match the part numbers i have except for the AA. Mine are AB and the parts department says that the AB makes no difference. Its getting frustrating talking with the dealership and so that's why i turned to you guys who may have dealt with this.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should also mention that the plastic trim piece is different. You will need this 6BU43RXFAB if it wasn't included with your bumper
Don't need the plastic trim piece, im installing a Warn Winch

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Yea the parts number you list match the part numbers i have except for the AA. Mine are AB and the parts department says that the AB makes no difference. Its getting frustrating talking with the dealership and so that's why i turned to you guys who may have dealt with this.
You should be good to go then. Install sequence is as follows (I have a sport, but should be similar or identical for the plastic Rubi)

- Remove plastic trim piece from bumper
- Remove skid plate
- Disconnect the fog light harness
- Remove 8 nuts on the bracket that hold the bumper to the frame
- Remove the bumper --- Mine took a lot of working back a forth to get it to budge off
- Remove the longer black piece (can't remember the name) The plastic skid plate attaches to that and there are 2 bolts holding it onto the frame
- Install the fog lights (if they aren't installed already)
- Insert the 4 rivnuts (06511076AA) into the holes and tighten them down using the 4 bolts (6104414AA)
- Install the 2 skid plate brackets and attach using the 4 bolts (6104414AA)
- Install your winch plate and winch if you're doing this now
- Lift the bumper into place and attach using the 8 nuts. Again, takes a little back and forth to get it seated. When you tighten the nuts it will also pull the bumper into place
- Install the skid plate using the 2 bolts (06512587AA) onto the newly installed brackets and the 5 bolts to attach the skid plate to the bumper.
- Connect the fog light harness

This is just from memory, but should be darn close to the install you need to follow. It took me just about an hour to install.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be good to go then. Install sequence is as follows (I have a sport, but should be similar or identical for the plastic Rubi)

- Remove plastic trim piece from bumper
- Remove skid plate
- Disconnect the fog light harness
- Remove 8 nuts on the bracket that hold the bumper to the frame
- Remove the bumper --- Mine took a lot of working back a forth to get it to budge off
- Remove the longer black piece (can't remember the name) The plastic skid plate attaches to that and there are 2 bolts holding it onto the frame
- Install the fog lights (if they aren't installed already)
- Insert the 4 rivnuts (06511076AA) into the holes and tighten them down using the 4 bolts (6104414AA)
- Install the 2 skid plate brackets and attach using the 4 bolts (6104414AA)
- Install your winch plate and winch if you're doing this now
- Lift the bumper into place and attach using the 8 nuts. Again, takes a little back and forth to get it seated. When you tighten the nuts it will also pull the bumper into place
- Install the skid plate using the 2 bolts (06512587AA) onto the newly installed brackets and the 5 bolts to attach the skid plate to the bumper.
- Connect the fog light harness

This is just from memory, but should be darn close to the install you need to follow. It took me just about an hour to install.
Yea,, Install is not the issue, I'ts the apparent differences in the brackets than what's in the instructions and the extra holes and welded hex nuts that have no apparent purpose. I'll have to post pictures so you may get a better understanding of what im asking. Stay tunned

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Extreme Terrain has a video showing the change out.

JEEEZE! Common People! Its Not an Install Issue! It's The difference in the brackets! Has anyone had experience with the difference in the "SKID PLATE MOUNTING BRACKETS"?

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
JEEEZE! Common People! Its Not an Install Issue! It's The difference in the brackets! Has anyone had experience with the difference in the "SKID PLATE MOUNTING BRACKETS"?
Definitely need photos ... I had no issues

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one in a box. Post a pic of what came with yours and I'll open mine and see whats in there. I think I know what brackets, nuts, and bolts you're referring to, but it sounds like you didn't get the correct ones in your box.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one in a box. Post a pic of what came with yours and I'll open mine and see whats in there. I think I know what brackets, nuts, and bolts you're referring to, but it sounds like you didn't get the correct ones in your box.
20191228_164216-jpg.jpg

This is the Bracket that i have with my kit but its not the same bracket in the Videos and on the instructions in the kit. The parts manager thinks that the bumper, skid plate and brackets are part of an accessory kit for non Rubicon models that upgrade to a Rubicon bumper and Im not getting the upgrade, I'm getting the bumper that belongs on the rubicon, so the brackets may be different. I may end up just taking a grinder to the brackets to knock off those welded hex nuts and Trim the plate.

If you don't have a Rubicon with a Rubicon steel bumper from the factory then you will have these Brackets with the welded Hex nuts. Otherwise the Rubicon comes with brackets that are smaller and without the Hex nuts when it has a factory mounted steel bumper.

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
20191228_164216-jpg.jpg

This is the Bracket that i have with my kit but its not the same bracket in the Videos and on the instructions in the kit. The parts manager thinks that the bumper, skid plate and brackets are part of an accessory kit for non Rubicon models that upgrade to a Rubicon bumper and Im not getting the upgrade, I'm getting the bumper that belongs on the rubicon, so the brackets may be different. I may end up just taking a grinder to the brackets to knock off those welded hex nuts and Trim the plate.
Do those welded nuts interfere with the winch plate that you have? If it doesn't they won't interfere with the bumper or the skid plate. However, if it does interfere, either grind them off or have the dealer replace with these -- Right side - 68353837AA and left side - 68353836AA

Do your brackets have part numbers on them?
Sponsored