Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Shimmy Felt in Front End - Jan 31 2019 Star case # S1819000004

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Issue Bulletin: Shimmy Felt in Front End - Jan 31 2019 Star case # S1819000004

This is an update to one that was published in November 2018.

Steering Stabilizer Steering Damper Date Code

Includes how to test it.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.29.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.30.10 PM.png
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Oh here come the "blow dried hair, steering stabilizer does not fix shimmy, ignoring the defective one was a problem" posters!

Yes, everyone knows the other problems need to be looked at too, before you get your hair driers out.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I have a 2019 JKUR with code X295M.

No signs of wobble or shimmy at all. But I guess if it does show up, then I get the newer stabilizer, that does what...be newer?

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2019 JKUR with code X295M.

No signs of wobble or shimmy at all. But I guess if it does show up, then I get the newer stabilizer, that does what...be newer?
Some of the steering stabilizers in the date code range had air pockets in them from the mfg, causing issues with it compressing smoothly and easily.

Capie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Oh here come the "blow dried hair, steering stabilizer does not fix shimmy, ignoring the defective one was a problem" posters!

Yes, everyone knows the other problems need to be looked at too, before you get your hair driers out.
As of today the second or should I say the third damper is being installed. Second damper only made the problem worse, and today life threatening

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As of today the second or should I say the third damper is being installed. Second damper only made the problem worse, and today life threatening
Do yourself a favor and simply buy an aftermarket unit, and throw that OEM junk in the trash where it belongs. I realize that an argument could be made that the manufacturer should have this right from the start but at this point 3 times @ the dealership for this? Your time is more valuable than that if you ask me. I threw on a Teraflex Nexus 2.2 Stabilizer and I love the thing. To each his own, and just my 2 cents worth.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Don't understand why manufactures wouldn't spend that extra 20 cents and get it right the first time, almost seem like they rather waste more resources, run into complications and headaches later trying to "fix" it.

It's not their first time making vehicles.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do yourself a favor and simply buy an aftermarket unit, and throw that OEM junk in the trash where it belongs. I realize that an argument could be made that the manufacturer should have this right from the start but at this point 3 times @ the dealership for this? Your time is more valuable than that if you ask me. I threw on a Teraflex Nexus 2.2 Stabilizer and I love the thing. To each his own, and just my 2 cents worth.
Agreed, but don't throw away the OEM stabilizer. Save it so you can put it back on if the Jeep dealership refuses to even look at any steering related problems because it has aftermarket parts in the steering system.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't understand why manufactures wouldn't spend that extra 20 cents and get it right the first time, almost seem like they rather waste more resources, run into complications and headaches later trying to "fix" it.

It's not their first time making vehicles.
Good question, though as you and I both know it all boils down to $, and how much, even pennies can be saved mean a lot of money with manufacturers this size. After all, bean counters control the given product (speaking of FCA, or any other large manufacturer, for example). All about cash flow. When I pulled off my stabilizer and compared it to the Teraflex unit, it was so apparent to me how poor the quality of that OEM stabilizer was. Merely far cheaper to appease the masses any crap stabilizer a whole and deal with the nickel and dime swap outs, and complaints than to just put on something that will be trouble-free for everyone.

Sponsored

ozzysjeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange 2018 2dr JL
I bought my JL 6 weeks ago. The steering issue wasn't noticeable initially, but after a couple of weeks and several hundred miles I began to feel the sloppiness. And then the worst appeared this past weekend. Driving I75 between Naples FL and Venice FL there are several areas of uneven pavement, bridges and other road imperfections. It was nerve wracking to feel the front wheels change direction on their own. I am an experienced driver, in my 50s, and have driven many Jeeps as well as other vehicles over many years. I can say that I've never experienced a steering issue like this and one that makes me uncomfortable to drive on an interstate highway. I've called and made a service appointment to deal with this but after reading through this forum, I'm not holding out much hope for an acceptable resolution.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't that just mask the real issue?
Fair question and I believe that the steering issue is only felt by some, and not all of us. For instance, I have no issues with the steering, and I suspect the vast majority of JL owners do not either. The forums are populated with a very small percentage of JL owners, as well so were only getting head counts from those of us who venture forth into the forums, and seek out conversation with other JL owners. That said, I do believe there are some with genuine steering issues in some shape, form or otherwise.

I only upgraded mine to help with the on-highway ride with my new 35" tires.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JL 6 weeks ago. The steering issue wasn't noticeable initially, but after a couple of weeks and several hundred miles I began to feel the sloppiness. And then the worst appeared this past weekend. Driving I75 between Naples FL and Venice FL there are several areas of uneven pavement, bridges and other road imperfections. It was nerve wracking to feel the front wheels change direction on their own. I am an experienced driver, in my 50s, and have driven many Jeeps as well as other vehicles over many years. I can say that I've never experienced a steering issue like this and one that makes me uncomfortable to drive on an interstate highway. I've called and made a service appointment to deal with this but after reading through this forum, I'm not holding out much hope for an acceptable resolution.
I noticed that with the stock/OEM stabilizer with my newly installed 35" tires that the front end (i.e. steering) was susceptible to the ruts in the road, and all sorts of bumps that kinda made the jeep unsettled. After the Teraflex stabilizer, it settled down so much that it actually felt like a whole new vehicle. Although I never really had any steering issues, and my observation is more of a quality of life improvement, so to speak, vs anything else.
Sponsored