Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Frame Weld Inspection/Repair (Rust, Pinholes, Alignment)

codylancaster

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Not sure without confirming with someone in the FCA welding group, but a lot of processes for welding refer to AWS D1.1 specification. Here is a link for an older version to give more insight to good and bad welds. Knowing a certified weld inspector can help determine a structurally good or bad weld. However, that decision is typically based off the weld specification.

Weld failures such as stress risers and porosity is another animal all together. Weld cleanliness (p172, as attached) is important in welding and most codes state to clean the weld following which will remove the slag etc.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/003/aws.d1.1.2000.pdf

3DF46D45-D40B-42CD-94D6-24B201428955.jpeg
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could people post the Build Dates of their JLs, that is more informative and easier to follow than Serial Numbers.
Thanks

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
The 18 JL I had with bad welds was built Feb 12 2018 iirc.

This might help but iirc those build dates are for assembly. Frames and axles are built elsewhere and shipped to the plant. I doubt they rotate stock. So hypothetically that frame could have been built much earlier in 2017

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
Could people post the Build Dates of their JLs, that is more informative and easier to follow than Serial Numbers.
Thanks
Mine was built in June 2018, took delivery July 2018, finally got 7 welds fixed after being told no numerous times from the dealership, the regional manager, and Jeep Cares. I emailed Mike Manly and a week later they were fixed...

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
My build date says 7/2018.

Here's one I found with more than 6mm of porosity.

IMG_20200120_124855.jpg

Sponsored

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also just submitted the NHSTA reporting.

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couldn't sleep last night getting anxiety over the frame welds. :-(

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Rust or Slag? According to the FCA STAR publication in post #1, Slag is acceptable and no repair needed. Nothing will get resolved until FCA changes this policy and states slag is not acceptable and requires repair. What will it take for FCA to change their minds?

If you examine new JLs on the lot and don’t notice the orange slag, this means the factory has improved its welding process to reduce, eliminate, remove slag OR they are just doing a better job of covering it up with paint to make it look pretty knowing darn well the paint will eventually flake off after you make the purchase and drive it home.
If it is any consolation, my new 2021 JLU Willys 3.0L also has the silica island (slag) on the welds I checked. It does not look like it will chip off. I don't think it is a serious problem otherwise it would have been addressed months ago.

jmcf1949

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
I wonder if there is any porosity on the jk welds?
Of course there is porosity on every frame made. It is acceptable if it does not exceed specs. at the time. The proper fix for excessive porosity is to grind out and reweld with MIG or SMAW.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If it is any consolation, my new 2021 JLU Willys 3.0L also has the silica island (slag) on the welds I checked. It does not look like it will chip off. I don't think it is a serious problem otherwise it would have been addressed months ago.
Almost all the frame welds on my 2021 JLUR (built August 2020) have those silica patches as well.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Spotted these silica patches on my 21 rubicon 4xe and thought it was rust. Found this thread and figured I’d chime in. Upon further inspection, I have these on most of my welds. Will still bring it to my dealers attention at the first oil change just to see what they say.

FF47B4E4-7328-44C7-BB5F-A596CC507982.jpeg

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My 2014 showed worse looking welds. When I sold it years later, they all looked the same, no different or worse. Who knows what they’ll be like in 20 years, but by then, I’m certain I won’t own it.
Sponsored