Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Frame Weld Inspection/Repair (Rust, Pinholes, Alignment)

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Anybody know what that while paint mark is in my first photo?

Thanks
It’s some sort of inspection mark by the frame maker. Sorry don’t know what it means. We’ve seen various colors, white, blue, yellow, green.

larkja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thank you. I just checked my VIN and the only recall listed was a "Reprogram Powertrain Control Module" which shows completed. No frame repair listed.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Thank you. I just checked my VIN and the only recall listed was a "Reprogram Powertrain Control Module" which shows completed. No frame repair listed.
Iirc frames are dipped. Problem is that it wont hold to the slag...when slag falls off they will rust. If u are ok with the weld beads and are concerned about slag ask fca and dealer for lifetime warranty on frame rust...not rust through but surface. To fix just the slag issue u need to remove slag then prime and paint.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Iirc frames are dipped. Problem is that it wont hold to the slag...when slag falls off they will rust. If u are ok with the weld beads and are concerned about slag ask fca and dealer for lifetime warranty on frame rust...not rust through but surface. To fix just the slag issue u need to remove slag then prime and paint.
So the slag will protect it from rust? Wondering how tough the slag is to remove. If it stays in place and prevents rust, then maybe there is no need to remove it. FCA claims “No repairs required” in the STAR publication. Of course FCA will wash their hands of the problem if rust starts to penetrate the welds after the warranty period.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
So the slag will protect it from rust? Wondering how tough the slag is to remove. If it stays in place and prevents rust, then maybe there is no need to remove it. FCA claims “No repairs required” in the STAR publication. Of course FCA will wash their hands of the problem if rust starts to penetrate the welds after the warranty period.
Slag does not protect a frame/steel from rust at all. Slag is a byproduct of welding with and is actually silica (SI) that is supposed to be removed either manually after welding or removed with a solution after the welding process.

I've been told by numerous welders and have read that slag will chip or wear away on frames, especially galvanized ones (the JL is 45% galvanized) and where the slag chips or wears stay rust will quickly set in, especially with the right conditions, ie humid, salt prone, or off roading.

This whole situation will end up like the Toyota frame rust recalls several years ago. That cost Toyota $3.4 billion.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slag does not protect a frame/steel from rust at all. Slag is a byproduct of welding with and is actually silica (SI) that is supposed to be removed either manually after welding or removed with a solution after the welding process.

I've been told by numerous welders and have read that slag will chip or wear away on frames, especially galvanized ones (the JL is 45% galvanized) and where the slag chips or wears stay rust will quickly set in, especially with the right conditions, ie humid, salt prone, or off roading.

This whole situation will end up like the Toyota frame rust recalls several years ago. That cost Toyota $3.4 billion.
Agree. Definitely doesnt protect from rust. Its basically silica crystal. Weak, fragile and falls off exposing the weld.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What did toyota do to resolve the issue for customers?

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
What did toyota do to resolve the issue for customers?
Replaced some owner's Toyotas that were beyond repair. The bulk of the money went to complete frame swap. It would take teams of 2-3+ technicians from 3 to 7 days to totally remove all wiring, body, components, etc from the rust bucket frames and then reassemble onto a new frame.
Cost for this would run between $12,000 to $16,000 per frame swap depending in what the dealerships were charging back Toyota.

There are quite a few videos of dealership techs doing this on Tacomas, Tundras, etc. It is quite the workload.

coneklr

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I am not listed on the recall but I have rust spots all over my welds. Definitely looks like bad penetration.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So I am not listed on the recall but I have rust spots all over my welds. Definitely looks like bad penetration.
Same here. I don’t know why the dealership didn’t catch this during pre delivery? I would not have accepted it. So here I am 3 weeks later awaiting from the service manager, Jeep wave and NHTSA. My jeep just sits in the garage with 147 miles on it. I want a replacement Jeep with rust free frame welds. Simple request from David to Goliath right?

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter