Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Frame Weld Inspection/Repair (Rust, Pinholes, Alignment)

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you’ve done about all you can do. The next step is to make noise on social media and the mainstream media to see if anyone will listen and take these weld problems

I’ve done that. Facebook and Twitter.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It sounds like you’ve done about all you can do. The next step is to make noise on social media and the mainstream media to see if anyone will listen and take these weld problems seriously.
How about contacting Donald and Melania Trump ? One word from them , and Bingo !

Last edited:

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
I think maybe this whole weld thing is a little over reaction. I looked at my wife's 2017 Sienna...the welds don't seem any better than my JL. The Sienna actually has some rust on the welds. I think we are all just too focused in it...I would never think to look under a Sienna for welds...because why would I join a Sienna forum...lol.

*just looked...tons of 2017 Sienna complaints too...If I actually cared about a minivan maybe I'd be obsessing over that too...*
If you think this is about rust on a weld you haven't been paying attention.

Sponsored

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Did your case manager set this up for you?
No. I had to raise hell to the GM at the dealership. I think what the dealerships are doing to appease customers is sending it to their own body shop for inspection. Kim at AutoNation NRH said they are independent of the dealership. Jeepwave has done nothing to help. I have had to do this all myself. You learn a lot about a dealership after you buy something and then 3 weeks later you bring something to their attention and boom, there’s nothing they can do. It’s an “FCA issue now.” I can just go by personal experience here. Honestly I’m usally taken care of from my past vehicle purchases from other dealerships in DFW. I think the atmosphere changed when I was sent the FCA survey from the purchase and was honest about my experience. I had a month to fill the thing out. The salesman kept hounding me to fill it out and if I give a good review he would buy me a tank of gas. Well I’m here to tell you I didn’t get that tank of gas.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
If you think this is about rust on a weld you haven't been paying attention.
. I have been paying attention...people just seems to be think every jeepnhas bad welds and that their welds are bad...and they have no clue what constitutes good or bad.

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
No. I had to raise hell to the GM at the dealership. I think what the dealerships are doing to appease customers is sending it to their own body shop for inspection. Kim at AutoNation NRH said they are independent of the dealership. Jeepwave has done nothing to help. I have had to do this all myself. You learn a lot about a dealership after you buy something and then 3 weeks later you bring something to their attention and boom, there’s nothing they can do. It’s an “FCA issue now.” I can just go by personal experience here. Honestly I’m usally taken care of from my past vehicle purchases from other dealerships in DFW. I think the atmosphere changed when I was sent the FCA survey from the purchase and was honest about my experience. I had a month to fill the thing out. The salesman kept hounding me to fill it out and if I give a good review he would buy me a tank of gas. Well I’m here to tell you I didn’t get that tank of gas.
I guess this is what I'm going to have to do also. The dealership just called and told me there were no holes in my welds and all my welds looked perfect. They are also saying they couldn't replicate the bouncing/vibrating issue in the front end. They said I need to go back to the dealer I bought it at for all the other issues even though FCA customer care told me to have them look at everything since my dealer has dragged their feet for 3 months. At this point my husband is furious and about to start going off on everyone. I just want my Jeep fixed. I've been dealing with this mess since the day it was delivered to the dealership and nothing has been fixed yet. I don't understand how the dealerships get away with this kind of treatment of their customers.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
. I have been paying attention...people just seems to be think every jeepnhas bad welds and that their welds are bad...and they have no clue what constitutes good or bad.
Apparently FCA doesn't either or these would never have made it into customers hands.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The dealership just called and told me there were no holes in my welds and all my welds looked perfect.
You first photo shows a hole .

Document who called you and who told you there were "no holes" .

If you can make a copy of the photo with the hole , and mail it to Donald Trump .

And then send a copy of your letter to Trump and copy of the photo by Registered Mail to FCA CEO Mike Manley . You will get some action .

Good luck .

Last edited:

Sponsored

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
I guess this is what I'm going to have to do also. The dealership just called and told me there were no holes in my welds and all my welds looked perfect. They are also saying they couldn't replicate the bouncing/vibrating issue in the front end. They said I need to go back to the dealer I bought it at for all the other issues even though FCA customer care told me to have them look at everything since my dealer has dragged their feet for 3 months. At this point my husband is furious and about to start going off on everyone. I just want my Jeep fixed. I've been dealing with this mess since the day it was delivered to the dealership and nothing has been fixed yet. I don't understand how the dealerships get away with this kind of treatment of their customers.
Well they are right, their welding blew a hole in your frame not a weld.

---EXIT stage left

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
You first photo shows a hole .

Document who called you and who told you there were "no holes" .

If you can make a copy of the photo with the hole , and mail it to Donald Trump .

And then send a copy of your letter to Trump and copy of the photo by Registered Mail to FCA CEO Mike Manley . You will get some action .

Good luck .
Thanks, I am still in shock I think. I am dumbfounded that they said NO HOLES, none, they tried to tell me the holes I was seeing were something else besides holes. I quit listening to them after I heard no holes. I was thinking to myself if I can put my finger into the frame where the weld is supposed to be, THATS A HOLE! I just want them to do the right thing and make this right.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer sent my JLU Sahara, built in June, to a collision repair place to have the welds inspected yesterday. During the course of my own inspection I found a cracked weld(the same one that @OzarkBob has cracked), a hole so big I can put my finger through it, porosity issues, unfinished welds, welds off center, and what I assume are "fixes" that are horrible.

I'm waiting, very impatiently lol, to hear what the collision place has to say.

Large hole on Bracket.jpg

20181025_113727.jpg

View attachment 102920

20181017_152900.jpg

20181025_114545.jpg

20181017_150349.jpg

@Rocstar those welds look aweful and not up to Welding codes. That hole is obviously not right.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I am still in shock I think. I am dumbfounded that they said NO HOLES, none, they tried to tell me the holes I was seeing were something else besides holes. I quit listening to them after I heard no holes. I was thinking to myself if I can put my finger into the frame where the weld is supposed to be, THATS A HOLE! I just want them to do the right thing and make this right.
Yeah wth kind of inspection is that?! This need escalated for sure.
Sponsored