Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Frame Weld Inspection/Repair (Rust, Pinholes, Alignment)

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Case Number: S1813000001

JL_S1813000001_Frame_Weld_Inspection-1.jpg
JL_S1813000001_Frame_Weld_Inspection-2.jpg
JL_S1813000001_Frame_Weld_Inspection-3.jpg
JL_S1813000001_Frame_Weld_Inspection-4.jpg
JL_S1813000001_Frame_Weld_Inspection-5.jpg
where can I find this on the internet? I want to link it to a dealer who told me "not to worry about weld issues" "not one person or the company has mentioned it" on 8/20.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
where can I find this on the internet? I want to link it to a dealer who told me "not to worry about weld issues" "not one person or the company has mentioned it" on 8/20.
At lest they acknowledge they are getting. Lot of questions on it. But yeah they allow a level of imperfection that isn’t acceptable.

Sponsored

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Do you have this in a PDF? I’d like to print it.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Glad to see they're acknowledging the complaints. I have a few areas of porosity on my JLUR frame welds but I'm not too concerned. They fall into the green category of being acceptable per FCA and since I'm no welding expert, I can either accept what could be smoke they're blowing up my butt or maybe the welds are in fact structurally sound. I do feel somewhat more comfortable reading this.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to see they're acknowledging the complaints. I have a few areas of porosity on my JLUR frame welds but I'm not too concerned. They fall into the green category of being acceptable per FCA and since I'm no welding expert, I can either accept what could be smoke they're blowing up my butt or maybe the welds are in fact structurally sound. I do feel somewhat more comfortable reading this.
I wonder if there is any porosity on the jk welds?

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
So....the customer has to bring the bad welds to the attention of the Dealership Service department? That doesn't seem right. Some folks don't even know an issue exists, and may not be able to climb under their vehicle to check. I'm hoping this is actually something dealerships will check on every vehicle prior to sale, and whenever a jeep is in for service.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So....the customer has to bring the bad welds to the attention of the Dealership Service department? That doesn't seem right. Some folks don't even know an issue exists, and may not be able to climb under their vehicle to check. I'm hoping this is actually something dealerships will check on every vehicle prior to sale, and whenever a jeep is in for service.
When I ordered my jeep the salesman said he never heard of the weld issues. I emailed him a link to this forum and suggested he talk to the service department. He was completely clueless.
I think FCA should have sent out a bulletin and have every dealer check their inventory.
Unfortunately, it's going to be a non priority issue until someone dies. Then it will get attention.

Phynal

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU HR
I expect some issues with first model year. I expect FCA to take care of these, and work out production issues. My only real concern has been incompetent dealers (out of 4 dealers in my area, I will only use one - and that is only because of ONE competent tech at that dealer).

But saying crappy rewelds are "acceptable and inherent to high volume production" is just pathetic. I know it sounds cliche, but these vehicles are simply too expensive for the "dealer experience" offered, and for the quality standards.

I've been standing by FCA through everything, including weld issues. This is the end of that for me. Good luck, all.

TWEAKNC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
OH I have silicate in my weld LOL. I am glad they have acknowledged it but it sounds shady. Rather than address the manufacturing issue and fix the root cause they have the weld is good enough guide. To hell with FCA. This makes me sad.

IMG_0515.jpg

2thman

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HONDA, MAZDA, BMW
While I have purchased and owned a large number of new vehicles over the past several years, I cannot honestly say that I would be comfortable with the standards FCA are applying to define acceptable welds on any of my previous vehicles. I would have been disappointed to learn that these standards are acceptable throughout the industry and applied to any of my present or past vehicles. Maybe I am in error or naive, and all brands have the same types of standards and I have been simply unaware of it. All the same, I have been genuinely excited to order a new JL. But in light of this issue, which even a non welder might intuitively question, I have to say that I am absolutely not comfortable with placing an order at this time.
Sponsored