ISO Hardtop for my 2 door JL (2018)

Andie13

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2door Wrangler Sport
So I have only owned my Jeep for 2 months and I LOVE IT!
However, I am in northern Illinois and I am searching for a hardtop for the winter. The dealer wants $3,000+ for a new one. I am hoping to find a used one for less.
So, I have 2 questions....
1. Does anyone have one/know of one for sale in the Northern Illinois (Chicago to Milwaukee) area?
2. Why is it so hard to find a used one fro a JL? I see a few on Facebook, Ebay, etc for a JK but none for a JL?
Thanks!

Jeep.jpg
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Keep checking the forum marketplace.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/exterior-parts.51/

Iā€™ve seen a few 2 door hardtops pop up for sale. Might have to plan a road trip to pick it up, like this one https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2020-2-door-hard-top-1800.101794/

Iā€™d imagine a used 2 door hardtop will be trickier to find than a 4 door would be. Only because weā€™re in the minority.

As far as why itā€™s hard to find themā€¦ the JL is still relatively new. Other than take-off suspension/bumpers and wheels, parts are still tricky to come by.

People seem to have some success on the Facebook marketplace also.

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
If you ever head west towards Utah I have a black textured hard top that is just sitting in my garage that I can let go for a lot cheaper than 3k!

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Found mine on fb marketplace for $1300 from a brand new jeep. Had to drive 3 hours to New Orleans with no top at all to pick it up on the Jeep. Make sure you get the freedom top brackets off the jeep too if you buy a top second hand.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to realize is that depending on your needs, will you need the Wiper, the washer, and the defogger to work? These tops do not come with everything to make these actually WORK. Take a look at your dash and your wiper stalk. Do you have the rear wiper/washer switch on the stalk? How about the rear defogger switch? Look into these things before you buy the top. If you need these to work, it will cost extra.

I just went through this with my Used 2020 Willys.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
There was one in Kentucky and another in TN on our forum or sale section a few days ago, Check it out. May have to drive a few hours to get it but thatā€™s worth it to save $1500-2000.

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
if you feel like driving to Houston and bringing me some Portillo's and Giordano's we can work out a deal...

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to realize is that depending on your needs, will you need the Wiper, the washer, and the defogger to work? These tops do not come with everything to make these actually WORK. Take a look at your dash and your wiper stalk. Do you have the rear wiper/washer switch on the stalk? How about the rear defogger switch? Look into these things before you buy the top. If you need these to work, it will cost extra.

I just went through this with my Used 2020 Willys.
I added a hard top top my soft-top-delivered JL 2 door knowing that I would have to install those modules if I wanted all that to work, but I haven't had a need to use them.

The soft top doesn't have a rear wiper or defroster either, so same situation. :)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So I have only owned my Jeep for 2 months and I LOVE IT!
However, I am in northern Illinois and I am searching for a hardtop for the winter. The dealer wants $3,000+ for a new one. I am hoping to find a used one for less.
So, I have 2 questions....
1. Does anyone have one/know of one for sale in the Northern Illinois (Chicago to Milwaukee) area?
2. Why is it so hard to find a used one fro a JL? I see a few on Facebook, Ebay, etc for a JK but none for a JL?
Thanks!

Jeep.jpg
You just need to scour the classifieds, here and Facebook. Craigslist. If you're willing to wait, there are good deals to be had. I eventually found a great deal and later sold the hardtop because I prefer the soft one. I never wanted the wiper or defrost features, so those were moot. If you find one, make sure to get the brackets by the rearview mirror and rollbar. I used a stubby torx to get them off the donor.

white walker1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just like other have said I have one that never going back on my Jeep (South Texas). It's just hanging around in my garage. I'm just to lazy to put the thing up for sale. I'll diffidently let it go for a fair price. (far price for both parties).

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Sounds like time for a road tripšŸ˜Š. Pick a decent weekend before the weather breaks, pull your soft top and head south. Seller will likely help your new hardtop (its easy if the soft tops already off-like 20 minutes maybe) and drive back home with your new hardtop Jeep. Iā€™ll bet you can save real $$$ doing it this way. Optionally, if you canā€™t bear going topless drive down, rent the smallest uhaul, put your soft top in it, mount the hardtop and go home. A two or three day weekend will give you a nice road-trip AND the top you are afteršŸ‘

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like time for a road tripšŸ˜Š. Pick a decent weekend before the weather breaks, pull your soft top and head south. Seller will likely help your new hardtop (its easy if the soft tops already off-like 20 minutes maybe) and drive back home with your new hardtop Jeep. Iā€™ll bet you can save real $$$ doing it this way. Optionally, if you canā€™t bear going topless drive down, rent the smallest uhaul, put your soft top in it, mount the hardtop and go home. A two or three day weekend will give you a nice road-trip AND the top you are afteršŸ‘
It will take more than 20 minutes due to having to install the brackets for the freedom panels. Those brackets don't come on the soft top models, so those would need to be removed from the donor vehicle and installed. You have to pull the plastics down and it's still awkward to do, but it's doable.

If you do get a hard top from someone MAKE SURE you get those brackets. I thought I was going to have to buy them from Mopar and they are pricey. REALLY pricey.

hbanghart24

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Manual
If you ever head west towards Utah I have a black textured hard top that is just sitting in my garage that I can let go for a lot cheaper than 3k!
Interested! Weā€™re in Ogden UT and looking for a hardtop!

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I just found a 2-door hardtop an hour away from me Saturday. Tinted windows and fcatory headliner too. Dusty from sitting in a barn, but even included the Freedom panels.

Before you jump, check this thread out. There's a lot involved, to get the rear wiper & defroster working. But even if you skip that, you need the brackets before trying to hold your freedom panels down.
Sponsored