Sponsored

Is Your Out the Door Price Locked When You Custom Order?

OP
OP
RDoug

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
Too bad you cant just go to the rail yard there and pick up your Jeep when its delivered....

Oh yeah! The first new vehicle I ever purchased was on display inside a mall for a week long auto show (circa mid-90s). I was able to drive the car out of the mall. That was fun.

I'd love to be able to drive my Wrangler off the rail car. Darn liability issues prohibit it, among other things. ha.
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Before reading this thread, I assumed all customer orders were locked down in price at the time of order; but it sounds like that isn't necessarily the case. I ordered through a lease broker, and they very specificity said that their orders come with a Sold Order Protection (MSRP and discount are locked in).

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
With respect, I did a search before starting this thread and read through various other threads which didn't appear to give any definitive answer.

It would be interesting to hear from both...

* A Jeep insider telling us the behind the curtains impact on the dealer when an order is placed before a price increase and if it changes depending on if it's a custom or allocation order

* Folks who have taken delivery post price increase and what they experienced in terms of passing on the cost changes. I have seen some posts on this and it appears to be very dealer dependent.
Well, there is your answer. It all depends on the dealer. I'm sure the replies will bare that out as it did in the other thread

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
With respect, I did a search before starting this thread and read through various other threads which didn't appear to give any definitive answer.

It would be interesting to hear from both...

* A Jeep insider telling us the behind the curtains impact on the dealer when an order is placed before a price increase and if it changes depending on if it's a custom or allocation order

* Folks who have taken delivery post price increase and what they experienced in terms of passing on the cost changes. I have seen some posts on this and it appears to be very dealer dependent.
It is very dealer dependent. It's best to get a "price-lock" in writing when you place your order and pay your deposit. That is more important now than ever with the shortages and inflation.

I confirmed my dealer's price protection policy before placing my order with them. My dealer would only price protect up to a $200 invoice price increase. Any more in invoice increases and I would pay the difference and still get my agreed upon percentage under invoice discount on the difference. I gambled because the dealer was close to Toledo and I was hoping for faster shipping. At that time I was OK with that because the sales manager said in the 20+ years he has been selling Jeeps he has only really seen a few price increases between when a customer orders and takes delivery. He said the prices increases were usually $50-$100 more if there were any.

As it turns out I probably got very lucky. I ordered 11/19/2021 and took delivery 1/14/2022. A few days before the big price increases. My invoice did go up by about $150 and the dealer did not raise my agreed selling price. They stood by their word and sold me my JLR for our original agreed price. It might have been a huge issue if I my JLR was made 3-4 days later. The 1/17/2022 Order Guide had significant price increases. My invoice would have gone up by over $2K. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Several forum members ordered from the same dealer just before and after I did but their Wranglers still have not been built yet. It will be really interesting to see what their pricing will be like.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My POC says the same thing, I wonder if this form is Jeep generated rather than Dealer generated. In addition I have a separate form that details out my negotiated price with the dealer that is also signed. That form does not have any escalation statement on it.
It is by Stallantis and on every POC. My dealer made it a point to explain that.

Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Mine wasn’t, dealer was clear that the prices often fluctuate a few hundred from order to delivery, sure enough some accessories went up a touch, one or two came down a bit too. In the end, I got out the door within $100 of my order Price.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine wasn’t, dealer was clear that the prices often fluctuate a few hundred from order to delivery, sure enough some accessories went up a touch, one or two came down a bit too. In the end, I got out the door within $100 of my order Price.
You got lucky. The new 1/17/2022 Order Guide has HUGE price increases.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
You got lucky. The new 1/17/2022 Order Guide has HUGE price increases.
Yeah, it might have helped that I ordered at the last day of 2021 model availability, and got the jeep delivered within about 2 months, there was not a lot of time for things to change.
Sponsored