Sponsored

Is your Jeep complete without a tow strap?

BluRubicon

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Ocean Blue ord’d 5/21, Enclave, Harley Ultra Glide
Vehicle Showcase
If not, What strap can you recommend?
I’d feel ridiculous if I came across someone needing some help and I have all this vehicle and not a simple strap.
Sponsored

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yours didn't come with one? I don't remember if its an option of it its standard....

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A tow strap is just what the name implies, a polyester strap to connect two vehicles for towing. A recovery strap is different, it’s a nylon strap meant to pull a vehicle out of being stuck. They’re different. The recovery strap has stretch, the tow strap doesn’t. Get one of each. And kudos for being a Good Samaritan.

OP
OP
BluRubicon

BluRubicon

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yours didn't come with one? I don't remember if its an option of it its standard....
Nope - a tow kit was an option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BluRubicon

BluRubicon

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A tow strap is just what the name implies, a polyester strap to connect two vehicles for towing. A recovery strap is different, it’s a nylon strap meant to pull a vehicle out of being stuck. They’re different. The recovery strap has stretch, the tow strap doesn’t. Get one of each. And kudos for being a Good Samaritan.
Thanks Noob - Just trying to figure out the best option that won't take up too much valuable space.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have a Bubba rope recovery strap and a Teraflex tow strap. They take up more room than I expected. I was hoping I could fit both in the cargo cubby (along with the soft shackles and D rings), but there is no way they can both be crammed in there.

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Another newb question here, what do you guys recommend on strength of the snatch strap? The link is 17,500 lbs, @Gaxmode has 22,000lbs.
I mean I understand it depends on what you are pulling out, but whats a good size for general use?

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Obviously, for a recovery strap you want one that has NO metal hooks on the ends. You need the fabric loops which are sewn at the ends. Get the biggest one you can afford that still slides over your tow hooks. The one I have is 30 feet long and has a 20,000 lb. capacity.

These things are very expensive these days, so you'll want to clean it after use and let it air dry fully before storing it away.

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Another newb question here, what do you guys recommend on strength of the snatch strap? The link is 17,500 lbs, @Gaxmode has 22,000lbs.
I mean I understand it depends on what you are pulling out, but whats a good size for general use?
As much as you can afford. Atleast 12,000 pounds I would say.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Much like a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher....having recovery equipment in your vehicle is a must (at least for me). More importantly if the knowledge on how to safely use it. I would highly recommend contacting a local jeep club and attending one of their new owner days where they go over all of the safety techniques for not killing yourself or someone else. Alternatively, Jeep Jamboree vacations are a great way to get your feet wet and they usually have seminars on recovery methods.

I am a big fan of Bubba Rope....in particular their soft shackles. Due to space limitations, I keep regular straps in my cars trunk...that may be a consideration for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Rope-M...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HP18JV5MG733FQHRYQ3R

Keep in mind that before go out to save the world....the minute you strap onto that other car, you just became liable in many ways (damage to the car or an inadvertent injury....etc.). I have even heard of good Samaritans being accused of causing the damage that the person caused when they drove into the ditch in the first place. I'm not saying not to do it....just that people suck.

Be careful out there,

Doc
Sponsored