Sponsored

Is waxing a Wrangler a pain in the ass?

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Hi Jake, Chemical Guys sell a 3 pack of leather cleaner, leather restorer and leather conditioner. I’ve so far only used the conditioner and it works great. It applies a little slimy and wet but dries to a nice shiny finish in about 15 minutes.
see, this is why a random thread can yield gold.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Here is my routine. I actually like detailing so the original answer to the question would be no as I find it pleasing to detail.

When I first get a car/truck/Jeep I do a full detail. List of some of the products as well.
1. Wash with Chemical Citrus - will help get rid of any wax or other stuff.
2. Iron X the whole Jeep.
3. Wash again with Chemical Guys Maxi Suds, less harsh and this is my maintenance soap.
4. Clay. I use Nanoskin with Wolfgangs clay lubricant.
5. Rinse off again, no soap.
6. Dry thoroughly with wafer weave (all my linens are from Autogeek)
7. Light paint correction over total vehicle but if needed in worse spots I will use various pads and chemicals (mostly Menzerna 2500) but the whole vehicle gets Menzerna 3800 with red Lake Country pad.
8. After all polishing and correction I use a great wax. Collinite 915
9. After that I then use Car Pros reload spray to give it that one final coating to make maintenance easy.

I do tape off all the plastic as to not get any of the wax on the plastic.

Plastic care - Optimum Power Clean to use as a cleaner and then 303 Aerospace protectant. I Never use Armol All.

Leather care = Pinnacle leather cleaner and protectant. I do this every 6 months. At each cleaning I use Maguiars Interior Detail spray. I also found a hard core leather protectant I use on the back seats for the dogs. This will protect your leather from dog slobber that will etch into your leather. It is Trivova Leather Water Repellent.

Lastly the glass is always Invisible Glass with a glass microfiber made specific for glass. Never any streaking

Tires I do give them a little love with a matte finish of Poorboys World Natural look.

Maintenance is just wash with Maxi suds, dry, clean glass, wipe interior and vacuum..

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
one thing I would love to pick brains about....the leather. what is everyone using on the leather? want it to be supple and have a sheen to it.

not slippery a.f. , and garish looking.

since it is a recon, I have some ground to cover.
Coconut oil diluted 1:1 with distilled water. Its very good for leather and your hands.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I use a Meguiar's quick spray wax on painted surfaces and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing on all the black interior/exterior plastic/rubber, tires, and even the black hardtop. I also used it on the engine cover and to clean/brighten the under hood black heat insulator that looked like some kind of white staining from getting wet or something when I bought my JL new. Hyper Dressing is water based and you dilute it to the level of shiny you want. My last batch was mixed 1 to 2 parts water but I may try going with a 1 to 3 mix next time for more of a satin sheen. It's a product I used during my Corvette days. Works great on leather too. Has some UV protection and doesn't collect dust like silicone based products do. Over spray on glass or painted surfaces easily wipes off with dry micro-towel. Interior wise I loved how it made my Vette's leather look and it smells a little like grapes instead of a chemical. It's about $40 for a gallon but one lasts me 2 or 3 years and a single product for multiple uses. I get it from Amazon.

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Other then the wax getting in-between the hinges it's not so bad. With black plastic fender flares and hardtop plus bumpers it saves me time less painted areas to wax.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Op
You should do some R&D on detailing. One of the above posts lists the steps, a good random orbital polisher, pads and good microfiber towels are in order. Learn how to wash and care for the paint. I like Polish Angel Cosmic

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
It's such a small vehicle (2-dr, black fenders and top) that I can wax the Jeep in less than an hour.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I use good wax which does not discolor black plastic. Pinnacle Souveran is pricey, but check out Autogeek.net for deals and tips on detailing.

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Every 6 months to a year, I'll tape off all of the plastics and do a really thorough job with a cleaner wax. What I find most effective for in between waxes, is to always have some sort of protective coat on the paint at all times... Meaning, if you wash if apply something to the paint after the wash. I either apply Turtle Wax ICe or one of my many detail sprays that have protective qualities.

I even tape off my tires (this is my WK2) because OCD... Lol

IMG-20190123-113624-DRO.jpg

Sponsored

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New Jeeper here.

First of all, I know, I know... Jeeps are supposed to get dirty.

But I've had my first Wrangler for 6 months now and I've been thinking about waxing it... The main thing stopping me is how much of a pain in the ass it'd probably be to wax around all of the plastic, rubber, decals, top, spare tire, vents, lights, mirrors, hood clamps, nooks, crannies, etc, etc.

Is it worth it? How are y'all handling all of the non-painted surfaces, etc? What products are you using?

I'd love any tips!

For reference, I've got a billet silver Rubicon with the black hardtop, non-paint-matched fenders, plastic bumpers, etc, etc.
Never waxed it, only use ceramic coatings... out lasts and performs wax any day. "Torque"

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Op
You should do some R&D on detailing. One of the above posts lists the steps, a good random orbital polisher, pads and good microfiber towels are in order. Learn how to wash and care for the paint. I like Polish Angel Cosmic

IMG_1491.JPG
A carpet under your Jeep! I love it!

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new Rubicon and want to give it its' first waxing. The PRIMARY property I want is for the wax to leave a protective layer to protect the paint somewhat from pin striping in the woods. My last Jeep I used to use Carnauba wax for SUV's and that seemed to help to protect the paint a little. Also, very important, I want to avoid the white residue that gets on black plastic fenders that is hard to get off. Can anyone recommend a carnauba wax that has these properties? Any other suggestions?
Thanks in Advance-

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
1. Boy or Girl Wrangler?
2. Bikini or full Brazil?

All kidding aside... has anyone had experience with ceramic coatings on their Wranglers? Are they worth it? Do they help prevent light scratches?

New Jeeper here.

First of all, I know, I know... Jeeps are supposed to get dirty.

But I've had my first Wrangler for 6 months now and I've been thinking about waxing it... The main thing stopping me is how much of a pain in the ass it'd probably be to wax around all of the plastic, rubber, decals, top, spare tire, vents, lights, mirrors, hood clamps, nooks, crannies, etc, etc.

Is it worth it? How are y'all handling all of the non-painted surfaces, etc? What products are you using?

I'd love any tips!

For reference, I've got a billet silver Rubicon with the black hardtop, non-paint-matched fenders, plastic bumpers, etc, etc.
Sponsored