Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
New Jeeper here.

First of all, I know, I know... Jeeps are supposed to get dirty.

But I've had my first Wrangler for 6 months now and I've been thinking about waxing it... The main thing stopping me is how much of a pain in the ass it'd probably be to wax around all of the plastic, rubber, decals, top, spare tire, vents, lights, mirrors, hood clamps, nooks, crannies, etc, etc.

Is it worth it? How are y'all handling all of the non-painted surfaces, etc? What products are you using?

I'd love any tips!

For reference, I've got a billet silver Rubicon with the black hardtop, non-paint-matched fenders, plastic bumpers, etc, etc.
Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Since we're all sequestered, i have waxed the boss lady's jeep about 17 times. Not a pain to wax at all. Just use good wax.

Tried ceramic spray, meguiars liquid and microfibrs.

Otherwise armor all on tires and fenderwells.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
New Jeeper here.

But I've had my first Wrangler for 6 months now and I've been thinking about waxing it... The main thing stopping me is how much of a pain in the ass it'd probably be to wax around all of the plastic, rubber, decals, top, spare tire, vents, lights, mirrors, hood clamps, nooks, crannies, etc, etc.

Is it worth it? How are y'all handling all of the non-painted surfaces, etc? What products are you using?

I'd love any tips!

For reference, I've got a billet silver Rubicon with the black hardtop, non-paint-matched fenders, plastic bumpers, etc, etc.
I know it’s not the best wax, but I use turtle wax ice spray wax. It won’t turn white on the rubber, plastic, and glass

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Not much different than most vehicles, but I do find myself just waxing by hand as opposed to using an orbital. Mainly because there are so many obstacles on a wrangler compared to most vehicles.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I haven’t waxed my JLUR yet but am looking forward to it - I chalk it up as a labor of love!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Avoiding the black plastic parts and gaining enough height to get to the roof (especially when lifted) is indeed a pain. That’s presuming you’ve got a painted roof. Removing the spare to get behind there is more grief.

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have used Turtle Wax Ice since I purchased mine based upon suggestions on this forum. It’s great! I covered everything! Paint, plastic, hard top, steel bumpers... everything! Easy on, easy off. It beads really well. There’s a quick detail spray (whatever it’s called) for in-between waxing if needed. I hit the hood and top occasionally as it gets hit by the sun more directly than the rest. I used to use another product but am sold on Ice. Even used it on my wife’s MBZ. She got complemented on the shine.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve come to like Maguires ultimate liquid wax. Easy on and off. Safe for black plastic if you color outside the lines occasionally. And it’s relatively durable.

I now just wax a different section each time I wash. Side, side, front and back.

I’ve also come to like Maguires Back to Black for the unpainted fenders and other miscellaneous pieces parts.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I've been using Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All ( https://washwax.com/collections/wash-wax-all/products/wash-wax-waterless-car-wash-kit ), and so far I've been very satisfied with the product. Because I can use it on all my JL's exterior surfaces, it makes for a really easy application, especially with so many nooks & cranies and dissimilar materials (paint, plastic, glass).

I prefer the wet application method, but it can be used as a waterless product as well (which I do for between-wash/wax touchups), although I do not use the waterless application method whenever my JL is really dirty. Also, the manufacturer claims that this stuff leaves a UV protective coating; I am hoping this may help prevent greying of the black plastic bits.

Amazon has it.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Use the Turtle Wax I’ve system, and you don’t have to avoid any of the trim. Looks fantastic, too.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Compared to my Ram Longhorn 4x4, my 2-door JLR (standard black hardtop and fenders) is a piece of cake! I use Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax and Quick Detailer for both, especially like the Ultimate Liquid and the Quick Detailer is great for quick touch-up's...like before a date :)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I use McGuires wash/wax for washing. Waxing is Spring and fall using P21. Spare comes off, wash, dry, wax. Then I use Amorall or McGuires black trim restorer for the bumpers and mirrors. (It lasts long and looks great). Then Best Top protectant for Sky One roof. Then go upstairs and bitch how I just worked harder on my day off than if I went to my job.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New Jeeper here.

I'd love any tips!

I’ve been using Garage One Pro Speedwax for several years now. It really works great and you can use it on just about everything, no streaks, swirls, or white residue. I usually go over the rig with it every other wash. And you can use it between washes for cleaning it up when not real muddy, maybe a little dusty and don’t t have time for full wash, just spray this on and wipe it off...:)... as you can see here, it really works.........:giggle:.
3A283A95-2C26-4552-A497-8B29DC4A0F5C.jpeg

Last edited:

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
one thing I would love to pick brains about....the leather. what is everyone using on the leather? want it to be supple and have a sheen to it.

not slippery a.f. , and garish looking.

since it is a recon, I have some ground to cover.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
one thing I would love to pick brains about....the leather. what is everyone using on the leather? want it to be supple and have a sheen to it.

not slippery a.f. , and garish looking.

since it is a recon, I have some ground to cover.
Hi Jake, Chemical Guys sell a 3 pack of leather cleaner, leather restorer and leather conditioner. I’ve so far only used the conditioner and it works great. It applies a little slimy and wet but dries to a nice shiny finish in about 15 minutes.
Sponsored