Is this what I turn.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all, is this what I turn to center the steering wheel?

Thanks.

IMG_20220731_072309.jpg
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hello all, is this what I turn to center the steering wheel?

Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this what I turn. IMG_20220731_072309
Don't turn that one at all. That is to set toe and is called the tierod.

The one you need to turn is on the link going from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle. This is called the drag link.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Ok, thanks. Not sure witch one that is but I will Google it.

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Why is the steering off center? Did you lift it? If yes then take it to a shop and get an alignment and ask them to center the steering wheel in the process.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Lmao. Yep already adjusted. Going for test run.
Nice. It'll take a few tries to get it right. Take the 15mm wrench with you on the test drives. That way you don't have to return to the garage to make an adjustment. Just pull over, adjust, and keep going.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Why is the steering off center? Did you lift it? If yes then take it to a shop and get an alignment and ask them to center the steering wheel in the process.
A full alignment is not needed for a lift unless you're above 2-2.5". Even then, there's nothing they can do without adjustable arms. No reason at all to pay anyone to adjust the steering wheel. It's literally a 10 minute job with a 15mm wrench.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Mine is off a little also. I did not lift it I noticed mine was off after playing in some rocks and trying to turn. Curious what caused it. I dont believe the drag link would spin or skip threads, also dont buy that the pitman arm would jump splines. Is there something inside the steering box that skipped?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've been on rock crawling runs where a Wrangler's wheel got knocked off center like that. Seems to be fairly common.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Mine is off a little also. I did not lift it I noticed mine was off after playing in some rocks and trying to turn. Curious what caused it. I dont believe the drag link would spin or skip threads, also dont buy that the pitman arm would jump splines. Is there something inside the steering box that skipped?
This is very common. When the Jeep is new, things are tight. As you use it, there's a phenomena called Tolerance Stacking.

https://www.fastradius.com/resources/tolerance-stacking-101/

(This is just a link for a basic idea. There are a ton of articles on this subject out there.)

This is all part of the design of anything electrical or mechanical. The stack-up can be measured pre-production, but will differ from unit to unit post-production based on use and abuse. Wheeling a Jeep accelerates the stack-up. The wheel being off is a stack-up of every error from the ball joints, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, sector shaft, gear box play, rag joint wear, and tire wear.

All of these things add up, especially after being used and abused.

This is the reason why each steering linkage is adjustable so you can correct for tolerance stack-up over time.
Sponsored