Sponsored

Is this turbo whine or something else? Help me diagnose.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So about a few month ago I started to notice this whine upon acceleration, sounds something like a police siren going off in the distance. With that said, if I'm in Park or Neutral and just give it gas, it doesn't make this noise. Nor does it make any when coasting.

I have to note however that this is about the same time I changed to an aFe air filter, not sure if it would have anything to do with this, since I threw away the stock air filter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So a little update on that turbo whine.

I took my Jeep the dealer for something else today, and casually mentioned that I had a fairly prominent turbo whine. The tech who took a look at it, said that bits of the turbo fins probably got damaged and is either scraping or changing the dynamics of air inside, creating that whistling noise.

So, he went ahead and ordered a new turbo for me. Parts due to arrive in mid May.

Will update back with results.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

I took my Jeep the dealer for something else today, and casually mentioned that I had a fairly prominent turbo whine. The tech who took a look at it, said that bits of the turbo fins probably got damaged and is either scraping or changing the dynamics of air inside, creating that whistling noise.

So, he went ahead and ordered a new turbo for me. Parts due to arrive in mid May.

Please post the results of the new turbo. I’m interested in this because what the tech said doesn’t really make sense to me. By chance, do you have a 2021 model or a 2020 model without eTorque?

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Please post the results of the new turbo. I’m interested in this because what the tech said doesn’t really make sense to me. By chance, do you have a 2021 model or a 2020 model without eTorque?
Mine's a 2018 2.0L with eTorque.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Brand new turbo! Awesome! Let us know how things go!

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Brand new turbo! Awesome! Let us know how things go!
I'm actually surprised by the diagnose, I was really hoping the tech would say something typical like "that's normal operation" and send me on my way. But I think this new dealer I found is very over-enthusiastic about replacing parts.

They have given me zero resistance in replacing parts on every issue I've raised thus far, even when my Jeep is modded with aftermarket to the bones.

Now, I'm not sure if I should be happy or suspicious.:CWL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I got a similar sound over the weekend. I was loaded pretty close to payload limits going up a mountain. Engine was running pretty constant at 3k rpm at load and it was squealing. I thought it was my stereo, turned that off, no change. Manually shifting it to another gear and higher RPM got it to quit though.

Did the turbo swap fix your issue?
Yes. They replaced the turbo and the whining noise went away.

However they (dealer) almost broke pretty much everything else in the engine bay (my Jeep was out of service for over 1 month because of their fuck up) during the process. So I would recommend against going to them unless it becomes a bigger issue.
Sponsored