Sponsored

Is this too much rust after 3 years?

HipCheck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon V6
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm in the Northeast and am trying to decide if I"m going to buy my Wrangler at the end of the lease. Had a flat tire today and noticed a bit of rust underneath. I'm pretty surprised actually. Yes we get crappy winters but it is garage kept. Under 14,000 miles.

So my question: Is this too much rust? I can just walk away in 3 months and buy a new one. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this too much rust after 3 years? tempImagevWukAK

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this too much rust after 3 years? tempImagebKH4KO

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this too much rust after 3 years? tempImageGsR6Y8

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this too much rust after 3 years? tempImageGAWo1F
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That is pretty normal looking. Probably looks better than most 3 year old vehicles.

With only 13k miles, see what Carmax or Carvana will give you vs your return value. You may come out ahead that way.

OP
OP
HipCheck

HipCheck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon V6
That is pretty normal looking. Probably looks better than most 3 year old vehicles.

With only 13k miles, see what Carmax or Carvana will give you vs your return value. You may come out ahead that way.
Appreciate it.

My residual is actually very good but the lease buyout for ME is over $7K cheaper than a dealer buyout, so I'll come out ahead. Despite the issues I've had with my UConnect (who HASN'T), I really like this Jeep.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I also live in Hockey land, northeast. I wash my undercarriage after ever salt snow storm, can't stand all the salt and brine, they put on the roads.( talk about saving the environment, DAAA?)
My JLU is kept outside and I use
Meguiar's G200416 Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax
on the paint, 3 piece hardtop and all plastic pieces, really great stuff.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I also live in Hockey land, northeast. I wash my undercarriage after ever salt snow storm, can't stand all the salt and brine, they put on the roads.( talk about saving the environment, DAAA?)
My JLU is kept outside and I use
Meguiar's G200416 Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax
on the paint, 3 piece hardtop and all plastic pieces, really great stuff.
How’s rust on yours?

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 JLUR showed signs of rust on all the weld lines from day one. Your jeep looks pretty good for being three years old. Looks like it’s pretty much all surface rust, which isn’t really harmful to the frame’s structural integrity.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm in the Northeast and am trying to decide if I"m going to buy my Wrangler at the end of the lease. Had a flat tire today and noticed a bit of rust underneath. I'm pretty surprised actually. Yes we get crappy winters but it is garage kept. Under 14,000 miles.

So my question: Is this too much rust? I can just walk away in 3 months and buy a new one. Thoughts?

Thanks.

tempImagevWukAK.png

tempImagebKH4KO.png

tempImageGsR6Y8.png

tempImageGAWo1F.png
Sort of looks like mine which also happens to be 3 years old. And I wash my Jeep fairly often (including undercarriage).

With that said I’m not sure why this jeep frame is so prone to rust. My old 2001 Toyota has been relatively rust free all these years.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
How’s rust on yours?
You could, I guess find some, but it's so little, that you would have to put it on a lift and use a flashlight.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Damn! Your muffler!

I've had mine 6 months - and it's covered with rust spots everywhere... Compared to mine yours looks brand new...

Sponsored

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I would say it looks pretty good. Looks about what my 6yr old JK looked like with PA winters and I dipped its rear in the Chesapeake about 50 times a year. I did however use fluid film every so often as well.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I agree with the others who posted that it looks normal. I’m in the northeast as well, and my JLU’s underside looks about the same.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
That's not any rust I'd worry about. Wire brush it and apply some fluid film. I usually spray the underneath @ every oil change while the oil is draining.

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I agree with the others who posted that it looks normal. I’m in the northeast as well, and my JLU’s underside looks about the same.
That's not any rust I'd worry about. Wire brush it and apply some fluid film. I usually spray the underneath @ every oil change while the oil is draining.
I'm just getting back into this after 20 years and the fluid film idea is new to me. I've been reading about it in a few posts. Sounds like a great deterrent in avoiding additional and major rust. (I'm also in the NE). But what about about painting over current surface rust with POR-15. Is that still a thing? Haven't seen many people mention it. Obviously not where there's a seal or bolt, but a long time ago we used to lightly wire brush the affected surface rust areas like you see on the weld lines and just cover it in POR-15 as the rust started to show every couple months in different places. Eventually we'd cover almost the whole under side of the Jeep. Seemed to work well as long as the rust wasn't major or had already disintegrated any metal completed to where you'd see a hole and major repair would have to be made.

Does anyone ever do this anymore?
And what's the best brand of fluid film everyone has had a good experience with keeping rust at bay?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I'm just getting back into this after 20 years and the fluid film idea is new to me. I've been reading about it in a few posts. Sounds like a great deterrent in avoiding additional and major rust. (I'm also in the NE). But what about about painting over current surface rust with POR-15. Is that still a thing? Haven't seen many people mention it. Obviously not where there's a seal or bolt, but a long time ago we used to lightly wire brush the affected surface rust areas like you see on the weld lines and just cover it in POR-15 as the rust started to show every couple months in different places. Eventually we'd cover almost the whole under side of the Jeep. Seemed to work well as long as the rust wasn't major or had already disintegrated any metal completed to where you'd see a hole and major repair would have to be made.

Does anyone ever do this anymore?
And what's the best brand of fluid film everyone has had a good experience with keeping rust at bay?
Fluid film is the brand name, you can get it on Amazon or in the Home Depot/Lowe’s. It stops rust from spreading and also prevents it to begin with, even on bare metal. They now make a black finish fluid film.
I’ve never used Por 15, seems fine but more involved
Sponsored