Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks dude for the heads up! Yeah that helps a lot. I replied to @hoag4147 s reply with the ones I have narrowed to down too. And my simple mindedness of the Steinjager one due to its color lmao 😂. But on a serious note, what’s your thoughts on the pictures I posted on what would be a good fit for an everyday pavement princess? Keep in mind I got those 17x9 fuel vapor wheels w the 37” Ko2’s gonna be going on the JL as well. Thanks again In advance dude. As always much appreciated 🤘🏼
As happy as I've been with my Metalcloak, I'm thinking that it might not be the best fit for you and your Mrs intended use. You might be better served with something designed more for on road comfort, but is still offroad capable for the possibility that you guys might one day decide to venture off the beaten path.

Maybe @Clayton Off Road can chime in with a suggested setup that would provide daily driver comfort and the stronger arms and linkages that will stand up to the added forces of the 37's.

As for your wheels, I don't see any reason for them not working out well. You'll have a nice wide stance for cornering stability and clearance when turned at full lock. I've also got 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset. It's 4.53" of backspace makes it work with just about every lift setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
Don’t forget shocks. That will increase price on all these. Seen a couple reviews on Steinjager but have seen much. The others are all good choices.
Thanks man as always 👍🏼

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As happy as I've been with my Metalcloak, I'm thinking that it might not be the best fit for you and your Mrs intended use. You might be better served with something designed more for on road comfort, but is still offroad capable for the possibility that you guys might one day decide to venture off the beaten path.

Maybe @Clayton Off Road can chime in with a suggested setup that would provide daily driver comfort and the stronger arms and linkages that will stand up to the added forces of the 37's.

As for your wheels, I don't see any reason for them not working out well. You'll have a nice wide stance for cornering stability and clearance when turned at full lock. I've also got 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset. It's 4.53" of backspace makes it work with just about every lift setup.
@Headbarcode you the man! 🤘🏼

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man as always 👍🏼
Hey Nathan. Just thought about this. If you are considering the Rancho kit, PM Ted @wibornz. He is running this kit and has been for some time. He will give you honest feedback/opinion and also possible additional items you may need to complete the kit. :like:

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Why are you looking at 4.5" lift kits for 35" tires especially if it is a DD pavement princess?

I'd really recommend a good 2.5" lift, thus eliminating the need for drive shafts, and spend that money on steering components and ball joints.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Why are you looking at 4.5" lift kits for 35" tires especially if it is a DD pavement princess?

I'd really recommend a good 2.5" lift, thus eliminating the need for drive shafts, and spend that money on steering components and ball joints.
I don’t have 35” tires. I have 37” tires. And I eventually in a year or two once the warranty is up am going to rock crawl and trail with it. Hence what’s why I’m going with that. I don’t like the look of a 2.5” lift. Nor do I like the look of 2.5 with 35’s. It’s the look I’m going for in the build

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I bought through RealTruck.com numerous times for multiple F-series trucks I had, never an issue at all.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I don’t have 35” tires. I have 37” tires. And I eventually in a year or two once the warranty is up am going to rock crawl and trail with it. Hence what’s why I’m going with that. I don’t like the look of a 2.5” lift. Nor do I like the look of 2.5 with 35’s. It’s the look I’m going for in the build
With the idea that you are going to get more serious about off-roading / rock crawling in the future a quality lift that is upgradeable might be the way to go.

I might look at:

Jeep Wrangler 2.5" Ride Right+ Lift Kit, 2DR 2018+, JL | Clayton Offroad

Metalcloak's JL Wrangler 2.5" True Dual Rate Lift Kit

So, as others have said if you go 3.5 or 4.5 inches you really should also replace your front driveshaft....so add about 600$ to the price of the suspension...plus you need shocks..

My thought with these two. Both will fit your 37s though they will rub if you get too flexy with them off road. However, both are upgradeable as you get into more wheeling down the road. In other words you will not be throwing away $1500 worth of suspension parts when you get serious about rock crawling. Instead you could add upper control arms, and some other pieces and you would have the same as the $2.5k kit. When you are ready for a new driveshaft you could replace your 2.5 inch springs with 3.5 inch for less than $500 and you would now have a 3.5 inch kit...all upgrading versus replacing because you bought a quality suspension to begin with.

For shocks that are decent and fit your budget and intent it is hard to beat the MC Rocksports. They are no match for a set of Fox, King, or Radflo 2.5s but they would, I think, work great for you until you out grow them.

Bottom line, to me buy a base suspension from a great company now...then upgrade the system as you need to....instead of creating a Franken-suspension with pieces and parts from multiple sources because you started with the wrong product.

Edit: The other piece I would add to this is that taller is not always...or even really most of the time, better. It looks cool but really what you are going for to build a very capable vehicle is suspension travel (up and down) and clearance. The perfect solution would be a build that got those two things while keeping the center of gravity of your vehicle very low. In a JL (not true for other versions), you should be able to get all the wheel travel you need with a 2.5 inch suspension and probably enough clearance with a well built 2.5 and 37s. Go to 3.5 inch springs on 37s and you would pretty much ensure that. For example the shop I have my JLURD at now just called after having it on the ramp today for testing and adjustments. At the moment on a Clayton 2.5 I am over 14" of travel up front (nearly 5" of up travel and just under 10" of droop) and am being limited by my springs which are beginning to unseat. We have one more adjustment to make today, that should net another inch. Once that is done, if I choose to do some spring retention work I could pretty easily go to 16+ inches of travel. The back is proportional. There are very very few trails around that require a vehicle with better numbers than that.

If you want a 4.5 because you love the look...do it, it is your jeep and do what makes you happy. BUT if you are looking for a suspension that is going to perform and will work as a system with the vehicle as designed, to produce the most capable rig....then my rec is to stick with a top-line company (MC, Clayton, or RK or my picks though there are other great companies) and don't go higher than 3.5.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
37" KO2 is more like a 35. We had them on our 14 JK and they were just slightly bigger than the STT Pro 35 on our 16 JK.

Buy a quality kit from a reliable retailer (many of whom support this site). Once you have all the right parts its easy to add taller springs, steering and driveline components down the road to ease the financial burden initially.
Sponsored