Sponsored

Is this ok to bypass Aux?

WranglerDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I have a dead Aud battery and a new main. I was planning to do the following to eliminate the aux but stumbled on so many threads here I got confused an anxious. Would this approach work and be safe? So far testing seems ok

remove hood pin for ESS (results in system disabled and warning light on dash. That’s fine by me)

extend and attach Aux leads to main battery(or ground black to chassis?)

what am I missing?

thanks!!!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Yep, per the above. This way your dash remains the same, without the warning. Just pull fuse # F42, and remove the AUX, battery negative cable, where it attaches to the main batteries negative cable. Tape the cable end that you removed. That is all that is to it.

OP
OP

WranglerDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Oh wow. Thanks. Where does the positive go? Do the main battery? Seems like current is still flowing through it via multimeter

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Oh wow. Thanks. Where does the positive go? Do the main battery? Seems like current is still flowing through it via multimeter
If the aux battery ground cable is disconnected, there can't be any current flowing out of the aux battery.

OP
OP

WranglerDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
While the car is running there’s current coming through the red positive wire. I have the Aux battery removed…

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
While the car is running there’s current coming through the red positive wire. I have the Aux battery removed…
I would think that is because the positive is still connected to the high current fuse array. Possibly even with that fuse pulled you still have power going to N3 which is the aux positive. N2 is the main positive so obviously that will definitely still have power going to it.

OP
OP

WranglerDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks again all. Posting pics of my mostly complete setup. I’ve only pulled the fuse, removed the Aux, disconnected negative and attached the positive leads.
So far this is working, but it still seems like the ESS is enabled (I can still disable via the dash). I haven’t proven on a road test yet. I know I can pull the hood pin to fully disable.

I just don’t love the position of the positive battery - working on a wire tie to keep it more tout, but not sure how reliable the tape will be long term? What have others done with the positive connection?
Jeep Wrangler JL Is this ok to bypass Aux? 48B32003-49FF-493C-ACA9-F977EE04F7C3
Jeep Wrangler JL Is this ok to bypass Aux? C37F1517-ADE7-4DEA-9DD5-89985E6F4E52
Jeep Wrangler JL Is this ok to bypass Aux? 136A1E46-6EDC-4825-8A5A-734767625166

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So far this is working, but it still seems like the ESS is enabled (I can still disable via the dash).
ESS will remain enabled until you press the button on the dash or use a device (Tazer or Start/Stop Eliminator) to disable it.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thanks again all. Posting pics of my mostly complete setup. I’ve only pulled the fuse, removed the Aux, disconnected negative and attached the positive leads.
So far this is working, but it still seems like the ESS is enabled (I can still disable via the dash). I haven’t proven on a road test yet. I know I can pull the hood pin to fully disable.

I just don’t love the position of the positive battery - working on a wire tie to keep it more tout, but not sure how reliable the tape will be long term? What have others done with the positive connection?
Why did you feel compelled to move the wires? Why not leave them where they were?

OP
OP

WranglerDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
ESS will remain enabled until you press the button on the dash or use a device (Tazer or Start/Stop Eliminator) to disable it.
thanks - I just pulled the hood pin sensor which is working great instead. Someone said pulling the fuse would do the trick so thought I’d share that it didn’t.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Doesn't the auxiliary battery also charge the big battery someone told me they said that they're auxiliary battery was messing up and went dead and it made their big battery go dead because they didn't charge it They put a new big battery in and it went done too big overnight because the auxiliary battery charges it

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
What do y'all know about this battery It's 30 lb lighter and you can control when it charges with a remote look it up it's pretty badass never have a bad battery again it says It's 30 lb lighter than stock battery

Screenshot_20221118_180912_Gallery.jpg

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Doesn't the auxiliary battery also charge the big battery someone told me they said that they're auxiliary battery was messing up and went dead and it made their big battery go dead because they didn't charge it They put a new big battery in and it went done too big overnight because the auxiliary battery charges it
Its the opposite.
The alternator charges the main battery which in turn charges the AUX. A bad AUX will constantly try to charge off the main battery which is why it will eventually draw down the main battery.
Sponsored