Sponsored

Is this normal? Steering wandering all over the place. Brand new 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
No, I do not have the aluminum steering box, this one is cast and I believe the most recent part number is 68507571AB Please correct me if I am wrong
The old steering box`s were a nightmare and so many people have changed to a complete PSC Steering kit, new box along with a mechanical power steering pump and not electric like the factory one. I have not seen any of the mostly street driven/occasional weekend off roader switch to a system with the steering ram.
I am just hoping that with changing the upper arms it makes all of the steering troubles go away because last time it was a time consuming nightmare
Fair enough, it was just that in your original post you mentioned aluminum boxes 😀
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
That was on his 1st JL, a 2018, and happened before the cast iron box existed.
Correct, it was my 2018 Rubicon that had the aluminum steering box`s, and had been replace with 2 new aluminum steering boxes and never solved the steering issue.I an going to double check the part number on my steering box, from what I have been told it should be part number 68507571AB
I really hope that it is just a caster issue, especially since it has such a hard time returning the steering wheel back to center

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, it was my 2018 Rubicon that had the aluminum steering box`s, and had been replace with 2 new aluminum steering boxes and never solved the steering issue.I an going to double check the part number on my steering box, from what I have been told it should be part number 68507571AB
I really hope that it is just a caster issue, especially since it has such a hard time returning the steering wheel back to center
Yeah, your 2021 392 definitely has the new style box. And they are slightly lifted higher than the regular Rubicons, so caster is definitely the top culprit. Factory specs are too low.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, your 2021 392 definitely has the new style box. And they are slightly lifted higher than the regular Rubicons, so caster is definitely the top culprit. Factory specs are too low.
I agree with you 100% especially after driving as a passenger in a 392 with adjustable upper control arms and the caster was set st 6 plus on both sides. After getting out of that 392 and taking the owner of it for a ride in mine he said that his was the exact way with the stock upper arms.
Hopefully next Wednesday things will be resolved at the dealer

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you 100% especially after driving as a passenger in a 392 with adjustable upper control arms and the caster was set st 6 plus on both sides. After getting out of that 392 and taking the owner of it for a ride in mine he said that his was the exact way with the stock upper arms.
Let us know how it turns out. It's always nice to read about a positive outcome to an issue.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Rich. Curious what UCAs he used? Only because seeing @AccuTunedJL comments on another thread about interference with motor mounts on 392.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uspension-or-lifted.74540/page-3#post-1593474

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The increased spring height rotates the suspension downwards and the front axle rearwards, which reduces the resting position caster angle and the solution is to increase the caster angle by pulling the axle further rearward?

That sounds like the first step of an expensive hobby.

Last edited:

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Rich. Curious what UCAs he used? Only because seeing @AccuTunedJL comments on another thread about interference with motor mounts on 392.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...uspension-or-lifted.74540/page-3#post-1593474
I know that he had a set of Steinjager adj. upper control arms PN: J0014131 on his 2021 392 and he also had a spacer leveling kit on it and I have no idea who`s kit he had used. I was just paying attention to the steering issues
I do not know if he did just the front or front and rear. (My mistake) and I regret not looking at the spacers but he still had the bronze decal Fox shocks on it and I do not know if he did just the front or front and rear.(My mistake)

I would also say that I doubt that his Jeep will ever be off road

I had spoke to Steinjager and that is the part number they recommend, but who knows if they are aware of any fitment issues. I spoke to them right in the middle to the purchasing of Ace Engineering and maybe I did not reach the right person?? I will see what the dealer has to say next week. I do hope that they fit and resolve the steering issues

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I know that he had a set of Steinjager adj. upper control arms PN: J0014131 on his 2021 392 and he also had a spacer leveling kit on it and I have no idea who`s kit he had used. I was just paying attention to the steering issues
I do not know if he did just the front or front and rear. (My mistake) and I regret not looking at the spacers but he still had the bronze decal Fox shocks on it and I do not know if he did just the front or front and rear.(My mistake)

I would also say that I doubt that his Jeep will ever be off road

I had spoke to Steinjager and that is the part number they recommend, but who knows if they are aware of any fitment issues. I spoke to them right in the middle to the purchasing of Ace Engineering and maybe I did not reach the right person?? I will see what the dealer has to say next week. I do hope that they fit and resolve the steering issues
Understand. Most on here prefer changing lower control arms to correct caster and was curious. Thx

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The increased spring height rotates the suspension downwards and the front axle rearwards, which reduces the resting position caster angle and the solution is to increase the caster angle by pulling the axle further rearward?

That sounds like the first step of an expensive hobby.

You are correct about the suspension rotating which can affect your pinion angles etc. That is why most people will put the longer fixed length or adjustable lower control arms on.

With that being done the adjustable upper control arms allow you to adjust for the correct caster

There are others out there that know a whole lot more about this subject, I am just going off of past experience of changing the upper and lower arms, and several vendor recommendations for the 392 since it already has longer lower control arms from the factory

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct about the suspension rotating which can affect your pinion angles etc. That is why most people will put the longer fixed length or adjustable lower control arms on.

With that being done the adjustable upper control arms allow you to adjust for the correct caster

There are others out there that know a whole lot more about this subject, I am just going off of past experience of changing the upper and lower arms, and several vendor recommendations for the 392 since it already has longer lower control arms from the factory
Sorry I keep jumping in on your response :). It’s been confirmed the fixed LCAs on 392 are the same across all JLs which makes caster even worse :(

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/if-your-392-is-wondering-all-over-the-road.76257/

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
No worries, I appreciate people's response on this subject, I wonder why when you look at the caster spec`s for all of the JL models the Rubicon has the least amount and a Sport more?
It’s the lift height. Standard Rubi 1.5” taller than sport so less caster. Now add additional height to Diesel, 4XE and 392 and caster is really getting low. I see folks adding the extended Mopar LCAs from mopar lift kit. To be honest, not sure that is enough for Diesel, 4XE or 392. IMO they should be adding adjustable LCAs. I am one of the lucky ones, my Jeep drives great at all speeds with 37s and mopar lift. My caster is around 5.1 🤷‍♂️. I have a set of adj LCAs sitting in garage waiting to be put on but I hate to mess with it since it drives well.

edit: actually, My caster may be a little less than that now that I added a 3/4” spacer in front to take rake out.

Last edited:

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Please report back!
I took my jeep to the dealership on Monday and they got back to me by noon saying, the alignment is spot on and everything checked out, it is a jeep thing.

I sent them the video below saying it drifts heavily to the right asked to be tested at a higher speed. No manager wanted to drive it on a highway and it sat there for two days and today, I got a text saying it drives like a 2 doors wrangler, please come and pick it up. This is ridiculous for a $50k vehicle. I
Sponsored