Sponsored

Is this normal? Steering wandering all over the place. Brand new 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I agree with @desmo2 , the short wheelbase on the two-door will exacerbate steering problems, then multiply by solid axles and add rear wheel drive.

There's a learning curve as well, since tall sidewalls will dampen/delay steering, often leading to constant overcorrection and sawing at the steering wheel.

Check alignment first, before randomly swapping parts. There are many here that can attest to there being no magic bullet.
Thx so much … that is my thought exactly to take it to a good wheel & tire place. Thinking better then the dealer to have alignment checked before anything. Thx again.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
They are talking about the LCAs from the Mopar 2” lift kit. Part 68322798AA, one for each side.
Hey guys. After doing a bunch of research I just ordered the Mopar longer LCA for $60 + shipping. Sounds like that will very likely help if not solve the concern. Wife will be happy if I can get this brand new Jeep to drive normal. Thanks for all the replies.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hey guys. After doing a bunch of research I just ordered the Mopar longer LCA for $60 + shipping. Sounds like that will very likely help if not solve the concern. Wife will be happy if I can get this brand new Jeep to drive normal. Thanks for all the replies.
Please report back post-install. It's always nice to hear the outcome.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 2021 JLR 2dr. Lowered my tire pressure to 34psi cold. Steering is better but not 💯 …. I am not very mechanically inclined. I noticed that you guys mention to change the control arms. Is that a definite fix? How do I know if I do need to replace the control arms or just get a alignment? Or both. What brand or type do you guys recommend? All info much appreciated. Please pardon my ignorance.
It's a relatively simple install, but I brought mine to an aftermarket shop - $105 charge (1 hour).

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Also keep in mind that aggressive AT and MT tires will feel a little squirmy for the first few hundred miles.

Sponsored

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I got mine a month ago or so. Lowering the tire pressure made a HUGE difference, however, I still have some wandering and I made an appointment to get it checked at the dealership.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a 2 door 2019 sport S on a rubicon suspension and rubicon wheels/tires (M/Ts wildpeak). I have the mopar lift longer LCAs.

It could not steer better. I can keep it on a straight line effortlessly. But I never experienced bad steering stock. Even when it is over 100 degrees, no issues. I run at 37PSI. For what it is worth.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
before buying parts.... torque front end (its a fiat, it will be half wrong), check align and set tire pressure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
For what it's worth, I was going to have the front end aligned after making this swap, but people on here talked me out of it. I think it has been two months now. I just rotated my tires, and they're all wearing absolutely perfectly. I guess those guys were right!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This issue has nothing to do with alignment. Read the past threads. The new LCAs work miracles, and the alignment always comes back as "didn't make a difference". And...the $60 LCAs + $105 (or free for the DIYers) install is not much more expensive than an alignment.

It's ALL about too little caster due to the taller Rubicon suspension while still using the Sport/Sahara LCAs.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
If this issue has existed for a while, why is Jeep still sending out Rubicons with incorrect control arms? If it is adversely affecting something as important as steering feel, shouldn't that have been a quick recall?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If this issue has existed for a while, why is Jeep still sending out Rubicons with incorrect control arms? If it is adversely affecting something as important as steering feel, shouldn't that have been a quick recall?
No. it will cost them a lot of money to replace all rubicons LCAs since 2018. It is also not a safety concern. The control arms on the Rubicon are not incorrect, theyre within caster range. Longer LCAs are still within caster range and provide drivers with a preferred steering.

The reason why they dont put longer LCAs on Rubicons is because of manufacturing cost. It is cheaper to have all trims have the same LCAs installed on the assembly line.

OP
OP

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
No. it will cost them a lot of money to replace all rubicons LCAs since 2018. It is also not a safety concern. The control arms on the Rubicon are not incorrect, theyre within caster range. Longer LCAs are still within caster range and provide drivers with a preferred steering.

The reason why they dont put longer LCAs on Rubicons is because of manufacturing cost. It is cheaper to have all trims have the same LCAs installed on the assembly line.
I wonder how many people test drive on the freeway and decide not to buy. In our case, we just drove around on the side streets and I wonder what we would have decided had we taken it a few miles on the freeway. My order for the longer LCA at allmoparparts.com is still "working" status after a week. I hope they are not on backorder and this doesn't drag out for months. Just want the wife to feel safe and enjoy her Jeep.
Sponsored