Is this normal Rev Hang??

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ok the rev hang is really getting to me on my 2019 JL 2 door 6 speed. This is my 6th manual car. I love driving manual but this is by far the hardest to drive.

I took this video to show off how bad it is. I revved it in neutral while coasting and it hangs at the same rpm for a second then slowly dips. Itā€™s also very hot as I live in Florida so about 90 degrees at least. It roughly does the same rev hang if accelerating past 5k

If Iā€™m WOT past 5k rpm it will hang for almost 3 seconds until ready for the next gear. This makes accelerating with any urgency terrible and really confused people in traffic behind me. Iā€™m also really nervous how long the clutch will last as it wants to slip into each gear if I donā€™t wait long enough.

should I take it to the dealer? Or trade it in because manual jeeps are just like this

please any help appreciatedšŸ˜… I posted the short demo video here

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Thatā€™s precisely why I decided not to buy a manual after a test drive.

This is all done because satisfying EPA mandates is more important than your safety or driving experience. As if a transitory imbalance in AFR were significant in the big picture anyway.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Shift earlier and thereā€™s no hang. Gearing may be a factor, too. I have a Rubicon (4.10) and have no need or desire to shift at high RPM, nor to shift fast like in a sports car.

Iā€™m absolutely not bothered by rev hang, but you should also know itā€™s not a Jeep thing. Car manufacturers were forced to do this to improve emissions. There are ECU tuners that can reduce the effect.

I love my manual.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Shift earlier and thereā€™s no hang. Gearing may be a factor, too. I have a Rubicon (4.10) and have no need or desire to shift at high RPM, nor to shift fast like in a sports car.

Iā€™m absolutely not bothered by rev hang, but you should also know itā€™s not a Jeep thing. Car manufacturers were forced to do this to improve emissions. There are ECU tuners that can reduce the effect.

I love my manual.
Same here. I stopped being in a hurry the day I bought my Jeep. No need to try to force it to do something it doesnā€™t like. However, I do realize everyoneā€™s driving styles and driving situations are different, and rev hang could be very annoying, especially if youā€™re trying to avoid getting run over in traffic. The 3.6 power band doesnā€™t help either šŸ‘Ž

OP
OP

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I guess I was so spoiled driving a 99 miata in college. I just donā€™t understand because modern sports cars are subject to the same issues but their ecus are programmed at 80% throttle or more to not rev hang as much like in the new BRZs.

Iā€™m fine with some rev hang and mostly live in the city so no need to accelerate that fast but felt like I was going to either cause an accident merging onto the freeway or burn up my clutch.. I smell that thing ALOT when Iā€™m driving which Iā€™ve never experienced in any manual before.

Now I double clutch all my shifts just to give myself something to do while waiting for the rev hang.

i think the problem is the recall jeep did on the clutches messed with the ecu and made the rev hang so bad that and the kicker is the JL manual reviews on youtube are not explaining how bad it is to really own these long term.I watched so many reviews if only I had known Iā€™d have an auto.

i think regearing could help despite how dead the low end is on the 3.6

OP
OP

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Same here. I stopped being in a hurry the day I bought my Jeep. No need to try to force it to do something it doesnā€™t like. However, I do realize everyoneā€™s driving styles and driving situations are different, and rev hang could be very annoying, especially if youā€™re trying to avoid getting run over in traffic. The 3.6 power band doesnā€™t help either šŸ‘Ž
If I wanted a slow jeep Iā€™d get one with the straight 6 and thatā€™s not even to knock the 4.0l šŸ˜‚

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I smell that thing ALOT when Iā€™m driving which Iā€™ve never experienced in any manual before.
That is NOT normal.

Iā€™m at 4yrs and 50,000 miles, and the only time Iā€™ve ever smelled clutch was while teaching my kids how to do hill starts with the nanny thing turned off.

Iā€™d have it looked at, if I were you. Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware that a very small number of manuals have a defect that causes the clutch to slip, get hot, and ultimately fracture the pressure plate.

Even if I drive like the cops are chasing me my clutch doesnā€™t slip and there no smell. At worst, I might cause the Jeep to jerk a bit while shifting if I wind it out to 5-6k rpm.

You might try the slip test on your own for peace of mind. Iā€™m attaching it. (Engine will immediately stall during a successful test.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this normal Rev Hang?? FCE0F4D5-363D-481C-A682-B66AC7EED6D3

OP
OP

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
That is NOT normal.

Iā€™m at 4yrs and 50,000 miles, and the only time Iā€™ve ever smelled clutch was while teaching my kids how to do hill starts with the nanny thing turned off.

Iā€™d have it looked at, if I were you. Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware that a very small number of manuals have a defect that causes the clutch to slip, get hot, and ultimately fracture the pressure plate.

Even if I drive like the cops are chasing me my clutch doesnā€™t slip and there no smell. At worst, I might cause the Jeep to jerk a bit while shifting if I wind it out to 5-6k rpm.

You might try the slip test on your own for peace of mind. Iā€™m attaching it. (Engine will immediately stall during a successful test.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is this normal Rev Hang?? FCE0F4D5-363D-481C-A682-B66AC7EED6D3
I have dumped the clutch on accident while I was parked while I didnā€™t realize the jeep was in 1st gear and it stalled right away. I donā€™t think itā€™s slipping. But I think I should schedule a checkup at the dealership. Especially if you think itā€™s not normal. It seems like an ECU issue

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have dumped the clutch on accident while I was parked while I didnā€™t realize the jeep was in 1st gear and it stalled right away. I donā€™t think itā€™s slipping. But I think I should schedule a checkup at the dealership. Especially if you think itā€™s not normal. It seems like an ECU issue
I think hot weather exacerbates the issue. I started a thread about it recently. No real answers for you, but I think it's common. Partly to blame is the flywheel at 20 lbs, and the monstrous clutch. If you see pictures, you'll know what I'm talking about. As someone said, it's also an emissions thing. Rev hang burns off excess fuel for better emissions. I also suspect it's worse when moving, perhaps a half-assed rev match feature. I've noticed it doesn't really hang when sitting still.

OP
OP

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I think hot weather exacerbates the issue. I started a thread about it recently. No real answers for you, but I think it's common. Partly to blame is the flywheel at 20 lbs, and the monstrous clutch. If you see pictures, you'll know what I'm talking about. As someone said, it's also an emissions thing. Rev hang burns off excess fuel for better emissions. I also suspect it's worse when moving, perhaps a half-assed rev match feature. I've noticed it doesn't really hang when sitting still.
Iā€™m not upset if the clutch is on the heavy side because that helps with off-roading but This rev hang honestly seems like it burns more fuel having to fire so long at a higher RPM as it would without the hang.

3 seconds at 7-4k rpm rather than normal rev hang like in a Ford Focus 1 second at7-4rpm I wish I could talk to the engineers and be like whatā€™s good because it doesnā€™t make sense.

thank you all for the responses it appreciate the input so much.

OP
OP

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
To put this into perspective the rev hang is so bad I test drove a 2000 Cherokee XJ the other week šŸ™‚šŸ‘šŸ½

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
I guess I was so spoiled driving a 99 miata in college.
Yep. I was spoiled driving an RX-7 in college. Winding up a Wankle was a treat. The rev hang is real, but I've learned to avoid the annoyance by shifting earlier. When the alternative is an auto, I'll accept a little nonsense.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Mine only hangs in 1st when I don't start engaging the syncros for 2nd, so between short stop-signs.

If it were brand new (or for anyone who stumbles on this), the rev hang is REALLY exaggerated for break-in period. I think mine both took over 1k miles to stop that.

So I believe something is up, or our driving styles are handled differently by the ECU. I normally don't exceed 3k RPM, but I do occasionally run out the gears and don't recall having that issue. Maybe I'm re-engaging gears too quick and am pulling it back down though.

As for the BRZ, it's geared down so much they have no choice but to cut down rev-hang. Mine would go into 6th around 30 mph when taking it easy, so I'd skip gears a lot. I'm not sure if the new ones are also that geared down. Fun cars though!
Sponsored