Is this issue a “Jeep Thing?”

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
So I notice this when I back out or a parking spot going in reverse, then shifting to drive and it feels like my Jeep tugs a little, almost like the gears haven’t caught just right or my tires are gripping too much.

Is this normal or is there a potential issue?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I notice this when I back out or a parking spot going in reverse, then shifting to drive and it feels like my Jeep tugs a little, almost like the gears haven’t caught just right or my tires are gripping too much.

Sounds like a relatively new transmission is still breaking in. Does it do it when you come to a complete stop, after any reverse motion, and then shift it in drive, or is it during a rolling reverse then shift to drive?

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Most of the newer electronic transmissions learn the driving style of the owner to become more efficient. I know this to be true of my '08 Challenger. If I change the battery or lift a terminal, it "resets" and will relearn. It comes in handy on track days.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wrangler worked the same.

OP
OP
dirt2danasty

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
Sounds like a relatively new transmission is still breaking in. Does it do it when you come to a complete stop, after any reverse motion, and then shift it in drive, or is it during a rolling reverse then shift to drive?
Definitely when you are rolling in reverse then shifting to drive. I notice it too when coming to a stop on occasion.

Now I have a Sport with Rubicon tires and a Rubicon suspension. Is it possible the transmission is trying to learn based on that install from a month ago? I only have 6500 Miles so it’s a baby

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I have about 13K miles on my JLUR and this had been happening to me as well. Following.
Sponsored