DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, i've got about 5 different Baofengs and they are ok. They are not as simple, clear, or easy to use as the Radioddity GM30. Programming the Baofeng is a pain, too. They are fine, but this little radio is just better. USB-C charging makes it much more convenient than the Baofeng's, as well, although you can get a bigger battery for them. But you can also get this with a spare battery for $49. We've used all of them on the trail and everyone with a GM30 agreed that the USB-C charger was a huge plus. Hell, even the flashlight on the radio is brigher, LOL!

Here's an even better option if you want to mount it in your Jeep. 20 watts of power and a GREAT Black Friday price if you have Prime. $88.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096533TR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best of all, it has an exceptionally loud speaker.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is this GMRS radio good enough? 1637867428382

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Midlands are ok but the narrowband issue can be a problem when interacting with other radios. Wouxun handhelds are a full 5W, allow narrow band and wideband plus full repeater support. Mac based programming is still not available via dedicated or Chirp S/W but they are pretty easy to setup from the radio. I have two 935Gs, a 905G and a 1000G mobile unit in my van and really like them. I use the handhelds all the time in the Jeep, backpacking and while backcountry skiing - great range and simple to use. Note for GMRS you do need a license which only requires an application plus a fee for a 10year license available to anyone off the FCC website - can be used by your family etc as well. Also a last couple of notes: way better than CBs, can communicate with bubble pack FRS radios, and no Ham test is required.

You can get Wouxun radios at Buytwowayradios - https://www.buytwowayradios.com/?ma...MIrursj6S09AIV0ACtBh3ZJQerEAAYASAAEgJzlvD_BwE

Another option I see people appear to like which I haven’t used myself is Btech. The YouTube site NotaRubicon has tons of GMRS radios reviews and how to videos

Last edited:

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is an even better deal: 25 watt big brother to the DB20, the DB 25. I've got this one in my JK and it is really nice.

https://smile.amazon.com/Radioddity...ver-Overlanding/dp/B09C7JBBVY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

If you want to wire to a cigarette lighter, the DB 20 is better. This one has heavier guage wire and needs more power. But if you want to wire it up as I did in my JK, which is directly to the battery, this one will give you the extra power. It also has a nice cooling fan on it and the whole thing feels of high quality, except for the mic. But the mic works fine, so no biggie.

Here is the DB25 mounted in my JK:

jS3UzEn.jpg

JTTA7Gn.jpg

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are the handheld "Rugged Radios" any good ?
They are basically a blue Baofeng with fewer features/capabilities. Oh, and they are much ore expensive.

That little GM 30 I posted blows them away. I'd take a Baofeng over them, too.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
They are basically a blue Baofeng with fewer features/capabilities. Oh, and they are much ore expensive.

That little GM 30 I posted blows them away. I'd take a Baofeng over them, too.
This is absolutely true about Rugged. They are way over priced Baofeng radios. They're marketing may lead you to think they are great radios, but they're no better. They come pre-programmed is all.

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
This one is fine. It's a remake of the UV-5R. If you use CHIRP to program the UV-S9, you'll have to select UV-5R as the model number.
Ok this will be my first radio. I have no idea what CHIRP is. Lol

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator
The Baofeng UV-5R Two Way Radio (technically a portable HAM radio) operates on both FRS and GMRS frequencies. It's a solid radio and goes for about $25. You don't need a license for FRS. To use GMRS, you need an FCC license which is easy to get, only $85 for 10years/no test.

You can use CHIRP to program it and the app works on a Mac.
I thought CHIRP was going to be the answer but apparently it only work with old versions of IOS. It seems like all radios are stuck using a lot of old tech. Seems like a big opportunity.

From the download notes: Application Security in MacOS 10.15+ (Catalina)
Unfortunately, Apple has made significant changes in 10.15 which cause major issues for independent software developers. CHIRP is significantly impacted and the future is unclear.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
In my researching GMRS radios I read they were lowering the license fee to $35.
Yes it has already been lowered to $35/10yr but the FCC site has not updated yet, and do not even begin to think it will happen any time soon. Thats our snails pace, inefficient, horrible excuse for a gubberment at work. Especially when there is more money in it for them for their ineptitude and feet dragging.

As notarubicon would say, gotta love paying for a license to operate on our FREE airwaves.

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator
You see u didn’t even know that I needed to connect it or whatever to make software updates?
From my research, you will need the software that comes with the radio or a third party software package like “CHIRP” in order to make firmware updates and possibly some settings. I’m not planning on buying an expensive radio if I can never update it because I use a mac.

Like other said, NotaRubicon Productions on youtube has a lot of great videos. I love his sense of humor but most all of his reviews are sponsored so I take them with a grain of salt.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I thought CHIRP was going to be the answer but apparently it only work with old versions of IOS. It seems like all radios are stuck using a lot of old tech. Seems like a big opportunity.

From the download notes: Application Security in MacOS 10.15+ (Catalina)
Unfortunately, Apple has made significant changes in 10.15 which cause major issues for independent software developers. CHIRP is significantly impacted and the future is unclear.
I'm still using CHIRP with MacOS 11.6. I would only download it from the CHIRP site and proceed with caution.
Sponsored