migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Hi everyone,

I’m supposed to pick up my 2020 JLU Willys edition in firecracker red tonight at the dealership. Nothing’s been signed but negotiations have been finalized. Long story short I am wanting to trade in my 2019 sonata that is on a 40k loan (yes I know, due to some terrible stupid decisions I made on a dime). I am totally not a sedan guy, I regret signing for it the moment I drove it off the lot.

So now that I am in huge hole for 7 years, I might as well try my best to get a good deal for a wrangler, a vehicle more suited for my lifestyle.

the JL:
Cold weather group, technology group, tow group, 2.0 Engine, willys edition

MSRP was at 54,060, we negotiated the price of vehicle to 45,000(+tax and doc fee)

at this price they agree to take the sonata and pay off that crap loan.

These prices are in Canadian btw! I fell in love with the Jeep, and surely i will enjoy it more than a sedan that can’t do anything for me. Let’s say I liked the financing we negotiated on, should I get it? Will the Jeep bring joy in the next 8 years? (I just need that little reaffirmation that I’m not screwing myself over)

Ps. Sorry if I sound like I’m a newbie because I totally am. This will be my first Jeep and I’m quite excited to get it dirty!
Sponsored

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Questions.
1. Have you owned a Jeep before?
2. What is your "lifestyle" that you feel the Jeep is more suited for?
3. I would assume, but when you say you fell in love with the Jeep, was this after multiple extended test drives of Jeeps?

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
1. Never owned a Jeep before.

2. I live in British Columbia, literally Canada’s playground over here. I also love the outdoors. At times, I need a 4x4 that can take me to a trail head for a hike. I would love to get into overlanding/wheeling. I’ve had 4x4 vehicles before such as a first gen Durango and a Delica Space gear, but nothing like a Jeep.

3. Yes, I test drove a 2020 JLU sport for the weekend. I just felt a lot happier in it then a sedan.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
1. Never owned a Jeep before.

2. I live in British Columbia, literally Canada’s playground over here. I also love the outdoors. At times, I need a 4x4 that can take me to a trail head for a hike. I would love to get into overlanding/wheeling. I’ve had 4x4 vehicles before such as a first gen Durango and a Delica Space gear, but nothing like a Jeep.

3. Yes, I test drove a 2020 JLU sport for the weekend. I just felt a lot happier in it then a sedan.
Then I can happily reaffirm that it does not appear you are screwing yourself over, and you should definitely buy this Jeep.

Not knowing the specifics of your financial situation, it sounds like for a few thousand dollars, you are trading a debt on something you do not enjoy for a debt on something that will make you much happier now and in the future.

Those that I have met that regret their Jeep purchase, did so hastily without thinking through why they actually wanted a Jeep (Ex: They just look cool and fun) and without driving one enough to understand the difference in feel of a Jeep. They drive nothing like anything else and can be especially jarring for someone use to driving a sedan.

I owned a 2-door Jeep TJ in college and have not gone a summer without regretting ever getting rid of it. I spent the last decade driving fuel efficient sedans that made all the practical sense in the world to own. Last year I finally decided that my own happiness and daily enjoyment, outweighed all the logical reasons why I should not get back into a Jeep.

I am only a few months past picking up my new red JLU Sport Altitude, but I still smile every time I get in it.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Then I can happily reaffirm that it does not appear you are screwing yourself over, and you should definitely buy this Jeep.

Not knowing the specifics of your financial situation, it sounds like for a few thousand dollars, you are trading a debt on something you do not enjoy for a debt on something that will make you much happier now and in the future.

Those that I have met that regret their Jeep purchase, did so hastily without thinking through why they actually wanted a Jeep (Ex: They just look cool and fun) and without driving one enough to understand the difference in feel of a Jeep. They drive nothing like anything else and can be especially jarring for someone use to driving a sedan.

I owned a 2-door Jeep TJ in college and have not gone a summer without regretting ever getting rid of it. I spent the last decade driving fuel efficient sedans that made all the practical sense in the world to own. Last year I finally decided that my own happiness and daily enjoyment, outweighed all the logical reasons why I should not get back into a Jeep.

I am only a few months past picking up my new red JLU Sport Altitude, but I still smile every time I get in it.

This is a great reply! Thank you for the reassurance. Excited to officially join the Jeep community! Have a good one. Hopefully I can get some pictures uploaded here soon...

Sponsored

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I have a JLU Willys that I picked up in December, I absolutely love it. I came from a Grand Cherokee that had the air suspension so the ride was quiet and cushy and I don't miss it one bit. One thing I will say is that the mud terrain tires are loud, you will absolutely notice them especially at highway speeds. The 2018 JLUS with the stock tires I had as a rental last week was noticably more quiet than my Willys so just be sure you take into account that the ride will be a bit noisy and bumpier than the Sport you test drove. Not a knock or complaint just an observation, like I said I love my Jeep and you'll love yours too.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Part of me thought this deal didn't sound awful. But how long are you financing for? I see "7 year hole"....seven years...please no....but probably too late now. But maybe I'm just old fashioned.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Part of me thought this deal didn't sound awful. But how long are you financing for? I see "7 year hole"....seven years...please no....but probably too late now. But maybe I'm just old fashioned.
84 is the new 48 I'm afraid :(

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You're going to get nailed on depreciation with the Hyundai. I know how it feels when you really want another vehicle, but remember the JL is here for at least 7 more years. The best advice would be wait a few years, pay off as much of the Hyundai as you can and then get a Jeep. Jeeps don't depreciate much, but they do depreciate and you're going to lose a ton of money between both vehicles.

Saying "I'm in the hole for 7 years already" suggests you can't afford this and know it. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Which dealership are you dealing with? Im from BC as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
The only issue that I am facing is that I am already paying a ridiculous amount of money on a vehicle that I don't enjoy. For a bit more money a month, I can have a vehicle to go on adventures on and make memories in.

Though it sounds super privileged, (hopefully I don't offend anyone) driving in a sedan, imo, sucks. I'd take the hit (financially) for doing the deal if it means I'll have 7 years of memories with a jeep! Thanks for the reply, and you're right, It was already too late to begin with :brokenhearted:...

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Columbia Chrysler
Okay ya I’ve talked to them before. It seems like they like to inflate the msrp online so the discounts seem larger. I bet you could get more of a deal on it. Every dealer is doing “invoice” pricing in B.C. right now.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
84 is the new 48 I'm afraid :(
and when you ask for the 36, the finance guy look at you funny. they tried the 48 and up speech on me and i said no way, 36 or less. so settled on 36 with no penalties on a early pay off.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
as for the op's question on the deal. it sound descent and like other have mentioned, work on a better deal. not sure on the loan side of things.

but the main thing is that you've test drove one and pick one out and just about to put the trigger. if everything goes right and finally get the keys to your new jl, your gonna love it. so enjoy it.

on a side note, i have a jl sport 2 door and love it. the jl replace my 07 grand cherokee.
Sponsored