Sponsored

Is this a sign not to buy a Wrangler again?

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Honestly…if you want reliability buy anything but a Jeep. I have a 2021 Hyundai Kona with 80,000 miles that is more reliable than my 2022 JLR with 1300 miles. I don’t trust this Jeep to get out of the garage much less make a road trip over 50 miles. I’ve beat the living shit out of my Hyundai and it keeps coming for more. I call her the “Dust Bunny”.
Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
...and? Did you continue the test drive, or write it off?

---------------------

During one of my own test drives, a new JLU stalled, or so I thought, when we were barely 1 block from the dealership. It turned out to be the Engine Start/Stop function operating correctly when I stopped for a traffic light. I turned ESS off and that was that. No harm, no foul.
LOL, my old CJ7 got to where it just wouldn’t hold an idle. The carburetor on that old 258 was horrible. I got used to basically leaving my foot on the gas pedal ever so slightly whenever I came to a stop just to keep it from quitting on me

Then I go purchase my JL, and they warm it up for me as I’m signing the papers. I pulled up to the corner to leave the lot and the ESS kicks in, and engine quits. I just screamed “you gotta be kidding me, not again” before I realized what was happening.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
During one of my own test drives, a new JLU stalled, or so I thought, when we were barely 1 block from the dealership. It turned out to be the Engine Start/Stop function operating correctly when I stopped for a traffic light.
...I go purchase my JL, and they warm it up for me as I’m signing the papers. I pulled up to the corner to leave the lot and the ESS kicks in, and engine quits. I just screamed “you gotta be kidding me, not again” before I realized what was happening.
I was test-driving a new JLU with the six-speed manual. Having been away from the new car market for a long time, I didn't know that the vehicle had ESS, or even what "ESS" was.

When the Jeep's engine shut off at the stop light, my first thought was that the salesman in the pax seat probably thought I flubbed a shift, and that I had no business driving a vehicle with three pedals.

When I asked what happened, he quickly mentioned the start/stop feature. "Can we turn it off?" was my immediate reply (my dislike for ESS was instant!) He pressed the button on the dash and we continued on our way when the light turned green.

After I brought my new JLU home, I couldn't install this harness fast enough.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
It was brand new 2023 with 16 miles one it. Just seemed ironic given the issues I've had recently.
Yeah but if you like it and can get a good deal.... just do it
Whatever stopped it is probably righted by now and your clearly a Jeep guy

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I've been having multiple issues with my 2018 JL (back in the shop this morning), so thinking I'd look at a new one as another one surely wouldn't have as many issues. Found a beautiful Wrangler with just about everything I would want on it. Got the keys for a test drive and the thing broke down before I could even drive it off the lot. I love Wranglers... but good lord, the issues. My heart wants another Wrangler, but not sure if I can look past this latest sign I might not be cut out for this...
Our 2018 JLUR now has right at 80k miles on it. Within first year we put RK lift, and 37s. Been wheeled moderately hard (rocks not mud), pull camper, use it for hunting, wife drove it daily for work until last December she got a 23 JLR 2 D and the 18 is going to get 4:88s and tougher steering setup.
Not a single glitch or part replaced because of a failure. Maybe were lucky but we are maintenance crazy.
I wouldn't give up, I have heard both sides of the reliability side great and bad. I also have heard the same about every vehicle on the road. Taco's, BMWs, Fords, Dodge, Chevy.......They all need TLC.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Just changed the oil and filter today in my 2013 JKU, 219,000 miles. It used about 1/3 quart of last changes oil in those 5k miles. Sure glad I'm driving a wrangler Pentastar 3.6. All three of them.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
It was brand new 2023 with 16 miles one it. Just seemed ironic given the issues I've had recently.
Ironic?

Okay, I’ll bite. What’s the irony?

Sponsored

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Looks like a very exciting and fun automobile to drive.
Seems like sarcasm but it is very fun. AWD, 4 Cylinder Turbo. It is exciting blasting down a gravel road doing 80 mph.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
. . . " It is exciting blasting down a gravel road doing 80 mph."
Yeah . . . . Don't do that.

G.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Engine completely stalled out. It happened to the salesman too and he said he thought the door was open and it was a safety feature... I've had to have my trackbar replaced twice, the freedom tops were leaking, the touchscreen was bubbling and had the phantom touching, the dash screen constantly has issues (mileage doesn't show up, reads that it is 800F outside, etc.) and now I'm having some sort of transmission issue that they thought they fixed a week ago. I'm just frustrated...
It could be something as simple as the batteries. The factory batteries are notoriously bad and cause all sorts of issues.

You might want to spend a little time searching “auxiliary battery” and “electrical issues” on these forums. There are literally thousand of posts on this.

Jeep dealers are utterly incompetent, but the fixes are not that complicated.

Good luck.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Hmmm...not sure I agree on the 2018 JL; unless I just got lucky.
I've been having multiple issues with my 2018 JL (back in the shop this morning), so thinking I'd look at a new one as another one surely wouldn't have as many issues. Found a beautiful Wrangler with just about everything I would want on it. Got the keys for a test drive and the thing broke down before I could even drive it off the lot. I love Wranglers... but good lord, the issues. My heart wants another Wrangler, but not sure if I can look past this latest sign I might not be cut out for this...
Our early build 2018 JLU was flawless in the almost five years we had it. Had early issue with the stop/start. The wire broke off the rear defroster and was fixed under warranty. The expensive stop/start battery had to be replaced. Had a curtsey recall on the steering damper. Nothing but maintenance expense otherwise. Would still have it if we hadn't had a huge comprehensive loss. Took the settlement and "bruised" JLU to the local dealer and ordered a new '23 JLU without thinking about it. Only have 2K on it but no issues.

There are some very suttle differences between the 2018 and 2023 that we've both noticed. The steering feel is greatly improved with no wandering. The brakes seem more responsive and have better pedal feel. Nice to have the proximity sensors and blind spot warning in the mirrors. Wifey says she thinks the sound deadening is improved. The front camera is pricey but really helps in parking and also off road.
Sponsored