Sponsored

Is this a sign not to buy a Wrangler again?

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I've been having multiple issues with my 2018 JL (back in the shop this morning), so thinking I'd look at a new one as another one surely wouldn't have as many issues. Found a beautiful Wrangler with just about everything I would want on it. Got the keys for a test drive and the thing broke down before I could even drive it off the lot. I love Wranglers... but good lord, the issues. My heart wants another Wrangler, but not sure if I can look past this latest sign I might not be cut out for this...
Sponsored

Richardrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys Sport
Just bought mine and upon logging into the App, service history revealed that it had some sort of electrical issue upon delivery which is probably why it was on the lot since December. Itā€™s also got that driveline lash which Iā€™m reading might just be a characteristic of many of these.

Iā€™m coming from a Highlander so I know there are going to be some headaches. That said, the Jeep just puts such a smile on my face!!! We had such a blast today and the warmer months will be even better.

When people brag about Toyota reliability I always say, sure your Corolla will last 30 years but why would you want it to?

We are also buying a Powerboost F150. Perhaps it will be less reliable than our 2018 Tacoma, but that truck was the most uncomfortable vehicle Iā€™ve ever driven. Itā€™s not even close. The seated position and lack of adjustments was going to put me in a wheelchair and Iā€™m a 41 year old endurance athlete.

Ford = comfort and features. Toyota couldnā€™t even bother to put tow hooks on its redesigned Tundra. What a disgrace.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Ive had 3 and 1 rental.

My 23JLU is the only one that hasnā€™t has issues.

From paint, clutch, axle, and the rental completely dead on the others.
My 18 JLU had the most issues. I will never recommend a Jeep for reliability. Only for fun. My coworkers would leave her stranded too.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
What does broke down mean? Wheel fell off, it cought on fire, hood flew off? What kind of problems does your Jeep have? Your Jeep is 5 years old, any car will have issues.
Engine completely stalled out. It happened to the salesman too and he said he thought the door was open and it was a safety feature... I've had to have my trackbar replaced twice, the freedom tops were leaking, the touchscreen was bubbling and had the phantom touching, the dash screen constantly has issues (mileage doesn't show up, reads that it is 800F outside, etc.) and now I'm having some sort of transmission issue that they thought they fixed a week ago. I'm just frustrated...

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Well, you did buy a first edition JL so.....
Order a new one and get what you want, then buy the mopar warranty and stop caring about it
You didn't say if the one you found was new or used as you just said you went to look at "new wranglers" and then you found a "beautiful wrangler "so that goes no where cuz if its used then your just shopping for someone elses nightmare and anything could be wrong but if new then - who cares, the prep guy messed something up, they'll fix it, you'll buy it and get the mopar warranty cheap and never care.
Or check out the new Bronco if you can find one as it does sound like your looking for reasons to shop around so perhaps its time ? šŸ¤”

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Hmmmm, so this is your 7th overall post since since 2018, and i thought mine were low for a 2019'er loll.

My response to your title question is, yes it is a sign šŸ˜‰.

Doesn't matter if it were a Toyota, Skoda, Opel, Dodge, Mercedes, shit šŸ’© happens, time to move on to a different flavour.

šŸ’© happens.

P.S
FWIW, my JL has been bulletproof reliable šŸ¦¾.

Last edited:

Tr4ckD4ys

First Name
Tr4ck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
What does broke down mean? Wheel fell off, it cought on fire, hood flew off? What kind of problems does your Jeep have? Your Jeep is 5 years old, any car will have issues.
Thatā€™s BS, a 5 year old car should not have issues. Youā€™re making it way too simple. The problems of Jeeps are often less time-related and more systemic such as bad supplier management, bad Q&A or bad design. If buyers are knowingly ok with that, then thereā€™s no reason to be offended when things go wrong.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Engine completely stalled out. It happened to the salesman too and he said he thought the door was open and it was a safety feature...
...and? Did you continue the test drive, or write it off?

---------------------

During one of my own test drives, a new JLU stalled, or so I thought, when we were barely 1 block from the dealership. It turned out to be the Engine Start/Stop function operating correctly when I stopped for a traffic light. I turned ESS off and that was that. No harm, no foul.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
...and? Did you continue the test drive, or write it off?

---------------------

During one of my own test drives, a new JLU stalled, or so I thought, when we were barely 1 block from the dealership. It turned out to be the Engine Start/Stop function operating correctly when I stopped for a traffic light. I turned ESS off and that was that. No harm, no foul.
Couldn't even start the test drive unfortunately. Every time we got it started and moved forward a bit the engine died again.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Well, you did buy a first edition JL so.....
Order a new one and get what you want, then buy the mopar warranty and stop caring about it
You didn't say if the one you found was new or used as you just said you went to look at "new wranglers" and then you found a "beautiful wrangler "so that goes no where cuz if its used then your just shopping for someone elses nightmare and anything could be wrong but if new then - who cares, the prep guy messed something up, they'll fix it, you'll buy it and get the mopar warranty cheap and never care.
Or check out the new Bronco if you can find one as it does sound like your looking for reasons to shop around so perhaps its time ? šŸ¤”
It was brand new 2023 with 16 miles one it. Just seemed ironic given the issues I've had recently.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Couldn't even start the test drive unfortunately. Every time we got it started and moved forward a bit the engine died again.
Mm. I too would have walked away from that one.

------------

I sold my YJ back to Jeep less than one year after I purchased it new, due to intractable engine issues. Afterwards, I didn't step on a CDJR dealer lot, or even consider the brand, for 25 years. So it's understandable if you decide to maybe take a break from Jeeps for a while, depending on where you land with the repairs to your '18 JL.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hmmmm, so this is your 7th overall post since since 2018, and i thought mine were low for a 2019'er loll.

My response to your title question is, yes it is a sign šŸ˜‰.

Doesn't matter if it were a Toyota, Skoda, Opel, Dodge, Mercedes, shit šŸ’© happens, time to move in to a different flavour.

šŸ’© happens.

P.S
FWIW, my JL has been bulletproof reliable šŸ¦¾.
Glad you have had a good experience with yours! I have a few other people I work with who haven't had the issues I've had, hence my optimism with a potential new one.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Mm. I too would have walked away from that one.

------------

I sold my YJ back to Jeep less than one year after I purchased it new, due to intractable engine issues. Afterwards, I didn't step on a CDJR dealer lot, or even consider the brand, for 25 years. So it's understandable if you decide to maybe take a break from Jeeps for a while, depending on where you land with the repairs to your '18 JL.
I'm hopeful they get this thing fixed on my current Wrangler and I can hold onto that one problem free (fingers crossed) for a few more years!

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just bought mine and upon logging into the App, service history revealed that it had some sort of electrical issue upon delivery which is probably why it was on the lot since December. Itā€™s also got that driveline lash which Iā€™m reading might just be a characteristic of many of these.

Iā€™m coming from a Highlander so I know there are going to be some headaches. That said, the Jeep just puts such a smile on my face!!! We had such a blast today and the warmer months will be even better.

When people brag about Toyota reliability I always say, sure your Corolla will last 30 years but why would you want it to?

We are also buying a Powerboost F150. Perhaps it will be less reliable than our 2018 Tacoma, but that truck was the most uncomfortable vehicle Iā€™ve ever driven. Itā€™s not even close. The seated position and lack of adjustments was going to put me in a wheelchair and Iā€™m a 41 year old endurance athlete.

Ford = comfort and features. Toyota couldnā€™t even bother to put tow hooks on its redesigned Tundra. What a disgrace.
I know what you mean...When everything runs smoothly there is nothing like a Jeep, especially when the weather is nice and the top is off!
Sponsored