Sponsored

Is there any way to tell a 2.0 just by looking at it?

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
I've obtained 26mpg the last two tanks according to my FillUp app on my 2.0. this is mostly city driving, but some highway driving thrown in to get across town.
Paying more for higher octane isn't that bad, when you're coming from a Diesel. I'm getting better mileage and paying less for fuel than when I drove my Ecodiesel.

Granted, as soon as I blow up the 2.0L I'm replacing it with a Diesel. In my dream world, that engine is the Banks Power reworked VM 630, the same motor that Ram uses for Ecodiesel, just more reliable and higher performing
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I've obtained 26mpg the last two tanks according to my FillUp app on my 2.0. this is mostly city driving, but some highway driving thrown in to get across town.
Paying more for higher octane isn't that bad, when you're coming from a Diesel. I'm getting better mileage and paying less for fuel than when I drove my Ecodiesel.

Granted, as soon as I blow up the 2.0L I'm replacing it with a Diesel. In my dream world, that engine is the Banks Power reworked VM 630, the same motor that Ram uses for Ecodiesel, just more reliable and higher performing
What driving are you doing in the city? Lots of 30 mph roads with no lights in some special part of Austin that has no traffic? On 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, city (here in San Antonio this is 10-20 minute drives with 5-10 lights) means 14-15mpg for me, in a 2.0 JLUR. I drove through Austin on the way down (bought my Jeep in Georgetown) with the stock 2.0 JLUR and didn't break 18mpg in the city.

I've driven in Austin in a small sports car ('18 Audi TTRS) and didn't get 26mpg, you've got some magic powers to get that in a JLUR.

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What driving are you doing in the city? Lots of 30 mph roads with no lights in some special part of Austin that has no traffic? On 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, city (here in San Antonio this is 10-20 minute drives with 5-10 lights) means 14-15mpg for me, in a 2.0 JLUR. I drove through Austin on the way down (bought my Jeep in Georgetown) with the stock 2.0 JLUR and didn't break 18mpg in the city.

I've driven in Austin in a small sports car ('18 Audi TTRS) and didn't get 26mpg, you've got some magic powers to get that in a JLUR.
I travel from Lakeway to Round Rock, I dont drive fast on the toll road, and I take a country back road to avoid the 620 traffic. On the hills I manual shift for power and use momentum (i.e N going down hills). I also take off very slow, like Im in a diesel. I rarely drive aggressive. So yeah, I baby it around town, with-in reason of course, I keep up with the flow of traffic. I told my wife, when I bought this Jeep I assumed my spot in the right lane on the highway. No more driving like a bat out of hell on a mission to get there first.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Did anyone ever answer the OPs question? Are the exhaust pipes the same diameter? That was usually a clue between 8’s and 6’s with V8s having larger exhaust pipes?

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I travel from Lakeway to Round Rock, I dont drive fast on the toll road, and I take a country back road to avoid the 620 traffic. On the hills I manual shift for power and use momentum (i.e N going down hills). I also take off very slow, like Im in a diesel. I rarely drive aggressive. So yeah, I baby it around town, with-in reason of course, I keep up with the flow of traffic. I told my wife, when I bought this Jeep I assumed my spot in the right lane on the highway. No more driving like a bat out of hell on a mission to get there first.
Going into neutral downhill isn't saving gas (the injectors are shut down when engine braking in gear), and it's dangerous as the transmission may fail to shift back into gear for an assortment of reasons. No need to do all that. If you're using N to build speed vs. engine braking you'd be exceeding speed limits by a significant margin to net many gains using momentum. Your call obviously, I just think you should evaluate your own safety. That's the realm of hypermiling, first I have heard of that in a Jeep.

Lakeway to Round Rock isn't city driving either, especially on a toll road. Mind posting a picture of your EVIC trip meter showing 27.5 MPG (what it would read if you were getting 26), or even 26 for that matter over more than 100 miles? That's a record for a petrol powered Jeep, especially a JLUR, even stock. It would have been nuts if that was actual city driving, not highway/rural like you've described.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I think you've set a record. Grab the evic shot, you should make a thread showing off your hypermiling skills. Just don't call it city driving. That's still impressive!

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you've set a record. Grab the evic shot, you should make a thread showing off your hypermiling skills. Just don't call it city driving. That's still impressive!
When you say EVIC are you talking about the mpg report from the dash? That thing hasnt gone above 21mpg for me. But the hard math calculations (distance driven and gallons used) normally comes out higher. It was that way on my Ecodiesel as well.

I'll have to see how things pan out now that I put 37's on it. May take me a few tanks to relearn the shift points and adapt my driving. I already see places where its winding out 3rd or 4th much longer than it used to, this is when I will flip it to manual shift and change the gear myself.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
When you say EVIC are you talking about the mpg report from the dash? That thing hasnt gone above 21mpg for me. But the hard math calculations (distance driven and gallons used) normally comes out higher. It was that way on my Ecodiesel as well.

I'll have to see how things pan out now that I put 37's on it. May take me a few tanks to relearn the shift points and adapt my driving. I already see places where its winding out 3rd or 4th much longer than it used to, this is when I will flip it to manual shift and change the gear myself.
Most people have the opposite experience, including me, mine always reads 1-2mpg higher than hand calculated. I don't know the weight on your 37s but on my Nitto ridge grappler 35s 18-20mpg highway at 70mph is about the best it can do for any distance.

Sponsored

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to follow up.
2 tanks of gas now since the 37s went on. I haven't gotten above 16mpg.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone ever answer the OPs question? Are the exhaust pipes the same diameter? That was usually a clue between 8’s and 6’s with V8s having larger exhaust pipes?
Same size.
Same part

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
New decal I made .
Goes above the cup holder.

Screenshot_20190618-204856.png

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
New decal I made .
Goes above the cup holder.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there any way to tell a 2.0 just by looking at it? IMG_20190528_194537
I like this a lot. Where did you have this made and did you ever sell any of them?
Sponsored