Sponsored

Is there any way to tell a 2.0 just by looking at it?

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Not to discriminate, but are there many drivers that are blind?
[/QUOTE]
I was being sarcastic
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
They're the ones lined up outside the dealership for warranty work.
Based on what Iā€™ve seen in these threads I suspect the V6 might be the more immediately problematic of the twoā€¦.at least until the little turbo ages a bit. Who knows thenā€¦..

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I challenge all you drivers who are blind....sit next to a 2.0 and you can tell upon start up. Normal drivers who can see, cannot tell the difference at all by looking
I can tell when I put them up on the hoist for an oil change. Filter is right there next to the drain plug. At least they got that right.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Maybe, but there is a reason the 2.0T isn't offered in vehicles that the 3.6 is - like the Gladiator, Challenger, Charger, 300, Grand Cherokee, 1500, Rubicon Extreme Recon...etc. At the end of the day to each their own. Cheers ;)
I Wonder why. Could it be that they haven't gotten around to offering it as an option yet? the Cherokee & Grand Cherokee have the 2.0 as an option.

All fun on my side too. As far as robust drivelines the 2.0T really doesn't make that much torque over the 3.6 - they both use the 850RE tranny.
The 2.0 has around 75 lb-ft more at the wheels, which is about 35% more than the 3.6.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there any way to tell a 2.0 just by looking at it? Engine Torque

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I Wonder why. Could it be that they haven't gotten around to offering it as an option yet? the Cherokee & Grand Cherokee have the 2.0 as an option.

The 2.0 has around 75 lb-ft more at the wheels, which is about 35% more than the 3.6.
Engine Torque.png
3.6 = 285hp / 260 ft/lbs
2.0 = 268hp / 295 ft/lbs

They both use the same tranny so the reality is the 2.0 doesn't put enough power to warrant an upgraded transmission or driveline.

as far as an option on the other vehicles described - won't happen.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
3.6 = 285hp / 260 ft/lbs
2.0 = 268hp / 295 ft/lbs
I'm aware of the official peak crankshaft numbers. Manufacture's official numbers don't always reflect reality.

The chart I posted is an average of many third party dyno charts (at the wheels). Yes comparing individual dynos against each other from different times/parties isn't good practice, but compiling every dyno I can find and taking the average should give a fairly accurate representation of what the torque curve looks actually looks like. And to me it looks like the 2.0 is producing more than 295 lb-ft of torque at the motor (assuming the drivetrain loss is equal between the 2.0 & 3.6). Either that or all the 2.0 dyno operators are getting results that are artificially high, and getting low results on the 3.6.

They both use the same tranny so the reality is the 2.0 doesn't put enough power to warrant an upgraded transmission or driveline.
True, the automatic has a high enough torque rating that covers the 2.0. Going by the official 295 lb-ft figure, the 2.0 also has more torque than the Aisin AL6/D478 is rated for (370 Nm = 273 lb-ft), which might be one of the reasons why there is no 2.0 manual.

as far as an option on the other vehicles described - won't happen.
Gladiator, Challenger, Charger, 300, Grand Cherokee, 1500, Rubicon Extreme Recon...etc.
We can rule out a 2.0 Gladiator, since it likely doesn't have the cooling capacity to support towing. Maybe the Ram's body allows for enough cooling capacity, but only the engineers will ever know this, and it probably wouldn't sell well anyway. I think the 2.0 Rubicon Recon Xtreme is likely to happen eventually. And the Challenger/Charger/300 would be pretty logical with the 2.0 (see 4-cylinder Mustang & Camaro) if it will fit or maybe a next generation will share a platform with the Giulia.

The Grand Cherokee? Highly likely. From here: "While Jeep isnā€™t even telling its dealer body which engine option will be under the hood of the 4xe, our sources have said it will be an almost identical setup to the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe utilizing a turbocharged 2.0-liter GME-T4 inline-four, a ZF-sourced 8HP hybrid 8-speed automatic transmission, and plug-in capability."

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
You sure can hear the difference.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Manufacture's official numbers don't always reflect reality.

The Grand Cherokee? Highly likely. From here: "While Jeep isnā€™t even telling its dealer body which engine option will be under the hood of the 4xe, our sources have said it will be an almost identical setup to the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe utilizing a turbocharged 2.0-liter GME-T4 inline-four, a ZF-sourced 8HP hybrid 8-speed automatic transmission, and plug-in capability."
The numbers are the numbers released and generally accepted as good - sure an individual engine may prices a few better or worse than those numbers, but....anyway. Dynos certainly can vary depending on a host of factors.

If the 2.0 find it's way into the Grand Cherokee (not as a 4XE version) I'll buy ya a case of beer/beverage. ;)

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
The engine sounds crappier.
I had a 2020 Silverado 2.7T 4 cylinder with big snail. 310HP/348TQ. Other than the crappier sound, it flat out out performed my 19 Silverado 5.3 v8 in every way. My 2021 Willys 2.0T has a big Garret snail, and it outperforms my 2015 Wrangler in every way as well. Facts are facts, I have owned some of the fastest American muscle cars ever built, and I am still impressed with the power of these late 4 cyl turbo engines. The sound may not roar like some would want, but they perform better than most expect.
Sponsored