Sponsored

Is there any reason why I can't store my hardtop upside down?

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
I want to store it in the garage but it will be the most out of the way upside down where I can then fit it around the beam that goes down the middle of the garage. I have a low garage ceiling and a couple of regular doors going into the house so I am limited on space where it can hang and be out of the way. I think I have a place for it but I have to store it upside down. Any issues with that?

Thanks
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Might collect dust, and get dirty, the white would be quite a hassle to clean.

However you store it, just make sure you protect the rear glass, it's expensive to replace.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Above advice is right and if you want to paint inside or install inside overhead insulation--but

Getting the top into the 180 deg. position may require your putting the top on EDGE and that may CRACK/BREAK or damage the EDGE you use to "TURN OVER" the top !

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Above advice is right and if you want to paint inside or install inside overhead insulation--but

Getting the top into the 180 deg. position may require your putting the top on EDGE and that may CRACK/BREAK or damage the EDGE you use to "TURN OVER" the top !

Good luck

JIMBO
Great advice, thank you. I built a mock up out of some extra wood I had so I'm gonna see if it will fit right side up in garage or shed. I have a finished garage ceiling and I don't want to start looking for joists if it is not going to work.
IMG_20200502_121208.jpg

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
OK, but be careful of the CORNERS---because these tops weren't built by NASA !

JIMBO

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
OK, but be careful of the CORNERS---because these tops weren't built by NASA !

JIMBO
The astronauts fashioned duct tape and surplus materials into air filtration canisters in the lunar module to keep all three astronauts alive for the entire trip home

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Great advice, thank you. I built a mock up out of some extra wood I had so I'm gonna see if it will fit right side up in garage or shed. I have a finished garage ceiling and I don't want to start looking for joists if it is not going to work.
IMG_20200502_121208.jpg
I sort of cringe at the thought of flipping the top 180 degrees because the thing is heavy as heck, even with another person helping, I wouldn’t want to do it too many times because accidents are very likely to happen and there goes a few thousand bucks!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Get a couple of moving blankets and don't twist when setting it down and you should be able to store it any way you want. Put another blanket or sheet on the inside to avoid dust as others have said.

OP
OP

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Get a couple of moving blankets and don't twist when setting it down and you should be able to store it any way you want. Put another blanket or sheet on the inside to avoid dust as others have said.
Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Yea flipping it is a potential disaster. The lifters on the glass are very eager to open the window. The slightest touch and it will pop open. And I would imagine that gravity alone will make it want to open as you flip it.

If you can strap the glass closed, do it. And I use the middle mounting holes to run a cam buckle strap from right to left side when I hoist the top. This helps keep the sides from flexing out when you lift it. It always felt like the fiberglass was going to snap at the edges if I didn't do this.

Lmk if you want to see a pic.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I want to store it in the garage but it will be the most out of the way upside down where I can then fit it around the beam that goes down the middle of the garage. I have a low garage ceiling and a couple of regular doors going into the house so I am limited on space where it can hang and be out of the way. I think I have a place for it but I have to store it upside down. Any issues with that?

Thanks
You have probably already considered this, but I have an unfinished garage with rafters exposed. By hanging the top from those rafters (after adding a couple of 2x4s with eyelets above and a pair at the bottom supporting the top), I rigged up a simple apparatus that allows me to park under it and still walk around the front. Not sure exactly how your garage is set up, so you may not have the room, but works great for my purposes.

IMG_20200424_194500.jpg

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
I have this if anyone is interested...Both are for sale. Reach out! Live in MI

Hardtop_Carrier_100.jpg

1.jpg

BrassMan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I have mine laying up against my garage wall with the glass face down so it doesn’t take up as much space. I built a frame out of 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe that it sits on to keep it from touching the ground. I covered the pvc pipes with foam piping insulation and then in the middle of the frame I added a bunch of foam padding. I covered it in $5 moving blankets from Harbor Freight. So far so good.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I just keep mine on the ground with glass facing the wall and just use the space underneath it as storage, like the front panels and other small stuff.
Sponsored