Is there any reason to be suspicious? Trying to buy

Hendge

First Name
Hendo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Mopar; 4Ă—4 Fronty
Went jeep hunting Saturday - had 3 prospects, all 2019 leftovers. I'm looking for a deal. Year end, month end...hoping now is the time!?

1 sport, 2 dr
2 unlimited Rubicon's

I'd prefer manual but from what I understand this is a real fine auto made by ZF?

The sport had a Nov 2018 build date. That kinda scared me as that is like the 1st month of production, right? Not a deal breaker, but some caution. Also, we couldn't find it at first - the salesman driving around everywhere clicking the remote trying to listen for alarm. Big dealership, it was interesting.

Of the 2 rubi's, they are sequential Vin#, one after the other. Same prices and options. However, about $1800 difference in discount when viewing their website.

The one I wanted, the 7k discount we also can't find. This added to the interesting experience. Mega dealer with hundreds of vehicles, yet I'm 0/2.

I'm told some of them are in service as wheel locks are being added. That must be where this one is?

I asked my salesperson today for status update, he said its still in service, he spoke with tech and was told he would have it tonight or early tomorrow.

I asked if that was the only issue and had was told yes, but I'm skeptical. It just seems odd they'd have a 2019 out of sight during these selling days? Is it possible for 3 days to add wheel locks? Or what else could be going on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hendge

First Name
Hendo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Mopar; 4Ă—4 Fronty
Oh re-read my post, the sport just had a dead battery, that's why we couldn't find it at first...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'd prefer manual but from what I understand this is a real fine auto made by ZF?
The automatic (850RE) is made by FCA, which is based off ZF’s 8HP50 design

The sport had a Nov 2018 build date. That kinda scared me as that is like the 1st month of production, right?
JL production started in November 2017. I wouldn’t be concerned with a November 2018 build.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="JL production started in November 2017. I wouldn’t be concerned with a November 2018 build.[/QUOTE]

I have a Nov 2018 built no issues with JLR...

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I also have a Nov 2018 build Sport 2 door. Zero issues, loving it. Kilobucks cheaper than a U Rubicon. The 8 speed auto is excellent.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I have an October or November 2018 build date on my 2019 (i can't remember which) and other than minute things, no major mechanical issues....

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a 2 door jl sport built in jan of 19, got it in may of 19. no issues 3.6, 8spd auto is a great combo for the powertrain. as for a good end of the year deal, i would look at the 19 model year be there seems to be having the same deal as the leftover 18s.18 leftovers should be selling at major discounts. wheel locks are just locking lug nuts (one per wheel) usually the dealer throws them in as part of the deal (at lease for me). so for the dealer to say its being service for wheel lock is a bunch of b.s. it sound like the dealership you have visited is a bit shady. i would check out other dealership and checkout the 19s deals.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
i have a 2 door jl sport built in jan of 19, got it in may of 19. no issues 3.6, 8spd auto is a great combo for the powertrain. as for a good end of the year deal, i would look at the 19 model year be there seems to be having the same deal as the leftover 18s.18 leftovers should be selling at major discounts. wheel locks are just locking lug nuts (one per wheel) usually the dealer throws them in as part of the deal (at lease for me). so for the dealer to say its being service for wheel lock is a bunch of b.s. it sound like the dealership you have visited is a bit shady. i would check out other dealership and checkout the 19s deals.
My dealer tried that for a split second but backed down quickly. Pleasant experience otherwise, so I would just make it about numbers and facts, make sure everything is to your liking, and run the numbers by here to be safe to be sure. You'll be good to go then.
Sponsored