Sponsored

Is There any Point in Trac Loc if I'm getting Selec Trac

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
Ordering my Sahara and I dont see what benefit the Trac Loc lsd would have if I get the Selec Trac? Is it worth it to get both. Driving in snow is my main thing not off roading
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t really have a choice: Trac-Loc is required when you opt for Selec-Trac.

The beauty of LSD is that it works all the time, in 2WD or 4WD. LSD only makes the 4WD more effective when driving in snow/icy conditions.

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not on the build your own 2021 Sahara Unlimited on the Canadian site.
You can order just the selec trac or just the trac loc or both.

so w/selec trac I would run in 4hi all the time so an lsd in 2wd would be pointless. No ?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d get both. The LSD will have a greater impact on traction than the Auto 4WD feature.

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So with selec trac can you still manually control 4wd or is it just always on and kicks in when needed.

same question regarding trac loc.

thanks !

Sponsored

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
LSD keeps traction to both rear wheels. I'd never get one without it

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So with selec trac can you still manually control 4wd or is it just always on and kicks in when needed.

thanks !
Either. You select which you want. You can go 2hi, 4 auto/full, or 4 hi locked, or 4 low. It's the best of both worlds, really.

I agree with @aldo98229 on the LSD. I'd get it. A vehicle in 4wd hi locked can still spin 2 opposite wheels, such as when crossing ruts, or on ice/snow. The LSD won't let it do that for long before it does its thing and sends some power to the wheel that is not slipping. There will be times where it gets you going or keeps you going and you won't even realize it was the reason you didn't struggle so much for traction.

I'd get it even if not planning to do much off-roading.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
Select Track engages the transfer case... Power to the front and rear differentials, so without LSD, you get one wheel in front and one wheel in back.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
You should go over to YouTube and check out the various Jeep 4wd videos. They are very informative and you will find that 4wd and LSD are complimentary systems. Independently they will only give you partial off-road capability.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

thanks !
LSD is on at all times.

Selec-Trac works like Command-Trac in 2WD and part-time 4WD, but adds a full-time option.

Perhaps seeing the shifter helps explain it better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is There any Point in Trac Loc if I'm getting Selec Trac 1604841517557

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The limited slip is a “must have” for me. Wouldn’t be any 4 WD vehicle without it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The LSD in the Jeep is garbage. It will wear out quickly. Waste of money.

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. This set up looks to be exactly what I need. Coming from a Tacoma PRO which has been disappointing in snow.

We get a ton of snow and basically drive through often unplowed snow and ice daily for 4 months. Lockers are basically useless for my application.

running Hakka r2’s. which I’ll have to get re wheeled for the Jeep. Unfortunately can’t run studded as I need ride in some roads they not allowed.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Thanks. This set up looks to be exactly what I need. Coming from a Tacoma PRO which has been disappointing in snow.

We get a ton of snow and basically drive through often unplowed snow and ice daily for 4 months. Lockers are basically useless for my application.

running Hakka r2’s. which I’ll have to get re wheeled for the Jeep. Unfortunately can’t run studded as I need ride in some roads they not allowed.
Have no direct exp with the JL LSD but it may be of some value to google research any problems that may be associated with the system before purchasing.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-86

We did have a couple other 4x4s with LSD and they worked excellent with no problems. Insofar as going in snow and ice - the higher clearance Rubicon in 4Hi alone is near unstoppable on roadways when driven prudently. When stuck - popping in 4Lo with lockers will pull push you out of most normal winter situations. Only real concern has been stopping on ice which your winter only R2s should help over the AT KO2s.

Anyways just something to think about. If we had to do it again - we would not get LSD as the Rubicon provides loads more traction to all 4 wheels when we really need it ie. think stuck in snow or off-road. BTW we do carry chains, ramps, and full size shovels at all times in the winter as we drive mtn roads a ton all winter. Never been stuck or had problems with this setup. No regrets or second thoughts ever. This JL is awesome for unplowed snow covered roadways.

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No doubt lockers on Rubicon are great but for the pure snow driving I do I didn’t find them useful at least on my PRO. Used them once on my Tacoma but my traction ramps would have got me out of trouble as well.

would rather have the corrective lsd and that selec trac looks like it may work well for the varying weather conditions we experience.

going to lift 3” and the Hakka r2’s are 265/70-17 so should have plenty clearance.
Sponsored