Sponsored

Is there an updated steering box with Prefix code AE?

Is there an updated steering box with Prefix code AE?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

leskcdn2

First Name
lesk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M38A1CDN2 & 2019 JL 2 door
Hello to All.... A friend and myself have signed onto this forum as we plan on lifting and further modify our jeeps for off road driving and plan on many questions as we proceed. We both own 2019 Jl's with 2 doors....mine was built in April 2019 and my friends was build in August 2019.
Before we start purchasing, lifting and asking for advice we both have the 2-3 inch play-dead spot issue in the steering wheel leading to exhaustive long distance driving. As per our dealership-we both have the updated stabilizer and track bar. My dealerships mechanic has driven my jeep and has agreed that there is still a steering play issue. The dealership is willing and have in fact written on the work order that they will replace the steering box with an updated box upon delivery. My steering box code ends in AD and I have heard that there is an updated steering box which ends in AE.
Question....is there in fact and AE updated steering box? If so, does it eliminate the play? and is the AE steering box for the JL 2 door? and when will it be available?
I personally have owned or own now 2 YJ's, a M38A1 (1967 military jeep) and a solid axle 2008 Megacab and none has-had play in the steering box for those that say its a jeep thing.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

lesk
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Hello to All.... A friend and myself have signed onto this forum as we plan on lifting and further modify our jeeps for off road driving and plan on many questions as we proceed. We both own 2019 Jl's with 2 doors....mine was built in April 2019 and my friends was build in August 2019.
Before we start purchasing, lifting and asking for advice we both have the 2-3 inch play-dead spot issue in the steering wheel leading to exhaustive long distance driving. As per our dealership-we both have the updated stabilizer and track bar. My dealerships mechanic has driven my jeep and has agreed that there is still a steering play issue. The dealership is willing and have in fact written on the work order that they will replace the steering box with an updated box upon delivery. My steering box code ends in AD and I have heard that there is an updated steering box which ends in AE.
Question....is there in fact and AE updated steering box? If so, does it eliminate the play? and is the AE steering box for the JL 2 door? and when will it be available?
I personally have owned or own now 2 YJ's, a M38A1 (1967 military jeep) and a solid axle 2008 Megacab and none has-had play in the steering box for those that say its a jeep thing.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

lesk
New 2dr part number: 68250508AE

Sponsored

OP
OP

leskcdn2

First Name
lesk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gee thanks fellas....in late September my dealer did agree to replace the steering box as per written work order but at the time no part number existed for the 2 door.....they did offer to replace my AD box with another AD box but I refused and told them that I will wait for a new AE box. In my opinion, FCA will take my AD box and tighten up the sector shaft screw and re-label it an AE box for the next guy....whatever. Lets hope the new AE box has a better on road feel.

Regards to all,

lesk

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Gee thanks fellas....in late September my dealer did agree to replace the steering box as per written work order but at the time no part number existed for the 2 door.....they did offer to replace my AD box with another AD box but I refused and told them that I will wait for a new AE box. In my opinion, FCA will take my AD box and tighten up the sector shaft screw and re-label it an AE box for the next guy....whatever. Lets hope the new AE box has a better on road feel.

Regards to all,

lesk
From what I read though find out if the new box comes with a new tension spring or screw. Evidently the old one is not reusable and dealers have attempted to reuse them. That is just hearsay and I’m not sure how one would really know but it’s worth asking as it has been brought up on here. Not sure if there is any proof behind that so don’t kill the messenger.

OP
OP

leskcdn2

First Name
lesk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Morton.....thanks for the input.....I will inquire as per the spring and screw.....no hurry though....the JL is parked until the spring (terrible salt up here from November till mid April) and the dealer agreed to install updated box in the spring.

Best regards to you,

lesk
Sponsored