Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I've felt the same about mine...I definitely think it's a programming issue. Is there a tuner/programmer on the market that can alter anything with the trans? The 8-speed in my wife's 3.6 JLU is much smoother on upshifts/downshifts and doesn't lug a lower gear while going uphill before violently upshifting like my 2.0 JL at times.
Have you had it looked at? I have the 2.0T and it never shifts violently for me. It's very smooth and doesn't act like what you're describing. The fact that you have another one that doesn't act like this should point to an issue with yours that might be addressable.
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was, kind of.
A big Part of the problem is definitely waiting for the transmission to drop a gear or two. Manual mode is much better.
There is regardless a noticeable lag when accelerating regardless though. It is only noticeable when im under vacuum and need to make boost (tazer gauge). So, Im still convinced there is turbo lag.
Its a Jeep. I have accepted that now and only drift the corners that I can spool up the turbo for. Its probably better that way since the 5000 degree steering wheel lock makes it hard to correct when things go to far. 😅
I think the transmission is very good and tuned for economy. It could be a bit quicker to change gears, but i wouldnt want to lose any more mpg for it.
We rented a V6 JL last weekend and waiting for it to keep up was sad. I'll take the 2.0L. I still don't notice any kind of meaningful lag. Compared to the V6 it is night and day.

I also found myself back in the exact same harsh shifting land that I have been managing to mostly avoid on our 2.0L. My wife had issues with it again too. Between that and the of course the damn visors are broken, I'm not in any rush to rent a JL again. I rent cars a lot traveling, I'm used to getting the occasional piece of crap (hello Cherokee), but this was landmark annoying.

Incidentally I'm in a Pacifica this week and that thing is shifting like a damn champion.

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
...and the of course the damn visors are broken, ...
So the broken visors is a thing? My wife pulled mine out of the windshield frame a few months ago. I jammed it back in and it is staying but WTF. The jeep dealer looked at me like they had never heard of it before and want me to drop it off for them to inspect it.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
So the broken visors is a thing? My wife pulled mine out of the windshield frame a few months ago. I jammed it back in and it is staying but WTF. The jeep dealer looked at me like they had never heard of it before and want me to drop it off for them to inspect it.
I had my drivers one replaced under warranty a while ago. There's a fix on the forum to try and avoid it.

Both visors on our rental were broken. Didn't even think to check them before we drove off. Also had the old aluminum steering box and an aftermarket windshield. Just Jeep things...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
This is the type of shit that made me wait 35 years before buying another jeep. Maybe I wasn't patient enough.
I found a couple other threads and one had a link for filing with the NHSTA, so I did.
I only have 14,000 miles on it, what will it be like at 50,000 or 140,000?
Why wont Toyota make a convertible Tacoma?!!!!!

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

Tonythis

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mbenz E450c
Both my visors broke. Both were replaced under warranty. Hopefully these hold out.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My passenger side visor broke. I made a repair/replace/prevention how to video. The link’s in my sig.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm late to this party. Was it determined that a throttle enhancer will solve the lag? And...no, you can't modulate the accelerator pedal with your foot as a free alternative. Anyone who suggests that, has NEVER driven a turbo-equipped vehicle with an enhancer installed. [well, actually you can emulate it, but after 15 seconds you'll get bored/tired/lazy and you'll be back in lag city.] :)

It's a boneheadedly simple fix.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've had tunes on other cars that modified the DBW mapping with good results. This allowed for better low-speed throttle control in a car that was previously not very parking lot friendly with the overly aggressive factory tune. The possibilities in an automatic vehicle are also interesting, being that you could theoretically tune the motor to go WOT while making the transmission shift low in the RPM band.

I haven't tried any throttle controllers, but Banks makes one that is interesting... It uses data from the car to make adjustments depending on speed/gear (and I assume integrates with their other tuners). This is the only one I've ever seen that could make a difference in power. And unless I'm not understanding something properly, because all other throttle controllers only intercept the throttle pedal wires they are basically an electric version of moving the throttle rod to a different hole. Like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T? 1655841961490

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I haven't tried any throttle controllers, but Banks makes one that is interesting... It uses data from the car to make adjustments depending on speed/gear (and I assume integrates with their other tuners). This is the only one I've ever seen that could make a difference in power. And unless I'm not understanding something properly, because all other throttle controllers only intercept the throttle pedal wires they are basically an electric version of moving the throttle rod to a different hole. Like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T? 1655841961490
The Bank's package is a good one. The Pedal Monster doesn't add power; just throttle enhancement. The (associated) Derringer is the part that adds power: 57 bhp and 73 lbft of torque on my JLURD.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
If you have 30k or 40k miles and haven’t had your differential axle fluid changed yet, get it done. It will rid the lag issue. If not, you’ve got bigger problems.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
For me, I honestly can't tell if what I feel is "lag" or not. When I put a foot into it, I feel what seems like two separate downshifts but there is very little lag between them. This is the first turbo I've owned and, frankly, the only thing I'm missing is that I was looking forward to hearing it spool up a bit more, but it's pretty quiet.
Sponsored