Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve noticed the turbo lag in my 2.0 more often in the past month and would love to hear some solutions for it. I use my Jeep as a daily driver but take it out on steep rocky and muddy climbs every month or so (been working weekends for awhile now so less time to take it out). From what I understand I could swap parts out and turn it into a 3.6 (a little much!), get a pedal commander which seems simple and like the best option. I don’t think I have the etorque (had it for over a year and just haven’t thought about it😬) Anyways! I would appreciate it if someone could boil down the facts of each of these “upgrades”? and comment on what it did for them. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’ve noticed the turbo lag in my 2.0 more often in the past month and would love to hear some solutions for it. I use my Jeep as a daily driver but take it out on steep rocky and muddy climbs every month or so (been working weekends for awhile now so less time to take it out). From what I understand I could swap parts out and turn it into a 3.6 (a little much!), get a pedal commander which seems simple and like the best option. I don’t think I have the etorque (had it for over a year and just haven’t thought about it😬) Anyways! I would appreciate it if someone could boil down the facts of each of these “upgrades”? and comment on what it did for them. Thank you in advance!
Beat on it for a couple days. The computer will learn. meaning, mash the accelerator quickly from every stop for a couple days. Mine did the same thing and your lag will be almost unnoticeable.

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Beat on it for a couple days. The computer will learn. meaning, mash the accelerator quickly from every stop for a couple days. Mine did the same thing and your lag will be almost unnoticeable.
I’ve had it for over a year now and notice it mostly after stop sign intersections where I have started to mash on it just to get it going and it still takes a few seconds to get me faster than rolling.. I’ll continue mashing it a bit but it does feel like it would be hard on the engine..

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
As crazy as it sounds this worked for me.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Turbos by nature, will have some lag. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.
Yes and no. I've driven and owned twin turbo vehicles that had zero lag.

The 2.0 is a torquey little motor matched to a fairly meh transmission. Which is fine, it’s a Wrangler.
The ZF 8 Speed is far from "meh". One of the best automatic transmissions on the market that's found in numerous high performance vehicles.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes and no. I've driven and owned twin turbo vehicles that had zero lag.

The ZF 8 Speed is far from "meh". One of the best automatic transmissions on the market that's found in numerous high performance vehicles.
I have a BMW X3 M40i and it has the ZF 8 speed in it, plus a turbo 6. That car is a rocketship, especially when you put it in sport plus mode. When they say 4.5 seconds from 0-60, they ain't kidding. I can tell you, if it has lag, I can't feel it. It's not like a 1979 Porsche 930 where it hit you like a ton of bricks at 4000 rpm. They only had a 4 speed in them.

Honestly, my 2.0T Jeep has too much power for what it is. It's not a sportscar. I think that having an 8 speed reduces the lag as there are more ratios to choose from. An Alfa Romeo Guilia has a similar engine and transmission package but it's in a 500 lb less package. It's considered a sports sedan. After driving the two, I think the Jeep feels more sporty just because you'd not expect it to do what it does. Probably sitting up high makes it seem different too. At least it's not like driving a 1992 Jeep with a 4 cylinder and 37" tires on it. You got your foot mashed to the floor just to keep up with traffic.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
One of the best automatic transmissions on the market is kind of like being the smartest kid in the special class... It's probably FCA's programming, but the transmission isn't great, I've had the Wrangler a year and a half now and it's still just tolerable. I don't care how awesome it is in other applications, it's meh in this one. If you don't drive it the way it wants to be, it gets caught out, upshifts too fast, downshifts harshly.

I've driven worse, I've driven better.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
One of the best automatic transmissions on the market is kind of like being the smartest kid in the special class... It's probably FCA's programming, but the transmission isn't great, I've had the Wrangler a year and a half now and it's still just tolerable. I don't care how awesome it is in other applications, it's meh in this one. If you don't drive it the way it wants to be, it gets caught out, upshifts too fast, downshifts harshly.
There is a big difference in the quality or performance of a transmission from their shifting capabilities to their reliability and ability to handle a wide range of horsepower/torque. Not all transmissions are created equally and that includes manuals if that's what you mean by that terrible analogy about the smart kid in the special class. It seems like way more people are happy with the ZF8 Speed auto in their Wranglers and I'm one of them. I've owned 3 Wranglers and almost 30 other vehicles in my lifetime (autos and manuals) with the 8SP ZF being among the best.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/zf-8-speed-automatic-transmission-review.8550/

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
It's probably FCA's programming, but the transmission isn't great, I've had the Wrangler a year and a half now and it's still just tolerable. I don't care how awesome it is in other applications, it's meh in this one. If you don't drive it the way it wants to be, it gets caught out, upshifts too fast, downshifts harshly.

I've driven worse, I've driven better.
I've felt the same about mine...I definitely think it's a programming issue. Is there a tuner/programmer on the market that can alter anything with the trans? The 8-speed in my wife's 3.6 JLU is much smoother on upshifts/downshifts and doesn't lug a lower gear while going uphill before violently upshifting like my 2.0 JL at times.

I also had a 5.7 Charger R/T before my JL with the 8-speed and that was fantastic.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've felt the same about mine...I definitely think it's a programming issue. Is there a tuner/programmer on the market that can alter anything with the trans? The 8-speed in my wife's 3.6 JLU is much smoother on upshifts/downshifts and doesn't lug a lower gear while going uphill before violently upshifting like my 2.0 JL at times.

I also had a 5.7 Charger R/T before my JL with the 8-speed and that was fantastic.
I have a SuperChips TrailDash3 and it has a tune for the trans. I will say this though. I never had any problems with the factory tuning of the 8sp in my 2.0. I thought it was brilliant. The TD3 tune just makes it drive even better.
Maybe swing by your dealer and see if there is an updated calibration available for your transmission first? Or maybe just have them reset your adaptives as do a relearn?

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I think the transmission tune with my 2.0 is great….the best automatic I’ve owned. Anything but “meh”…. There can be a bit of lag off the line…but that’s not a transmission issue. With a slightly larger hybrid battery the lag could be eliminated…

diggs44060

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Rubicon
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?

I have a 2021 JLRubicon..what I did and am happy with the results so far that I achieved by doing:
S&B cold air intake
Mishi IC pipe
Turbosmart BOV
And a Flowmaster axal back muffler delete..

diggs44060

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Rubicon
Could you put a link to the AFE rear muffler delete for the 2.0t I have been looking for one but only fine reference to the 3.6 engine.
Both are the same for axal back delete

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
As to real actual person that started this thread 5 pages ago, I still think he was mistaking lag in the throttle and transmission response for genuine turbo lag.
I was, kind of.
A big Part of the problem is definitely waiting for the transmission to drop a gear or two. Manual mode is much better.
There is regardless a noticeable lag when accelerating regardless though. It is only noticeable when im under vacuum and need to make boost (tazer gauge). So, Im still convinced there is turbo lag.
Its a Jeep. I have accepted that now and only drift the corners that I can spool up the turbo for. Its probably better that way since the 5000 degree steering wheel lock makes it hard to correct when things go to far. 😅
I think the transmission is very good and tuned for economy. It could be a bit quicker to change gears, but i wouldnt want to lose any more mpg for it.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure to get the 2L turbo with e-torque... almost instant 90lbs ft. of torque. Torque to the wheels travels within 400 milliseconds, more than twice as fast as in the typical engine stop-start systems...

CHEERS!!!
Sponsored