Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
Never had a turbo engine before. I use to be able to give my own car a tune up. Plugs, points, timing. I know absolutely nothing about these modern computer controlled motors. I don’t even know what turbo lag is. I do know that I always get 25 or better mpg on the Hwy and when I step on the loud pedal my 2.0 takes off like a scolded dog. No problem with the performance and it is spot on when I need passing power.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, running 37's on the original gearing must be absolutely miserable.
Not in the least. Have you driven a turbo/auto Rubi before and after lift and larger tires? I have. Regearing is on the bottom of the to-do list, if I ever even bother.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T? 20190827_084948_resized(1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T? 20200815_110458

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Having driven other turbo engines, I don't think that what we're feeling is turbo lag. LIstening for spool it's very quick for a 4 banger with a twin scroll turbo. I think it's more to do with the throttle and computer rather than turbo lag itself.

The last turbo car was a C5 Allroad but the turbo threshold was around 3k rpm and the lag itself wasn't that bad.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Not in the least. Have you driven a turbo/auto Rubi before and after lift and larger tires? I have. Regearing is on the bottom of the to-do list, if I ever even bother.
The original poster had a Sahara in his profile, not a Rubicon. Big difference.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The original poster had a Sahara in his profile, not a Rubicon. Big difference.
The original poster was asking about throttle response, not gearing for 37's. Bigger difference. You, on the other hand were addressing stock gearing and 37's. Supposing isn't as informative as actual experience.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The original poster was asking about throttle response, not gearing for 37's. Bigger difference. You, on the other hand were addressing stock gearing and 37's. Supposing isn't as informative as actual experience.
Being way over geared will exacerbate turbo lag. If the op is still running 3.45 gears on 37's, re-gearing will do more than virtually anything short of a v8 swap to improve driveability. Yes, on 4.10's our rubicon is fine on 37's, although we have the beauty of 4-1 low range more than making up for being over-geared when off road. 4.88's would be better but I'm with you on being in no hurry to regear. If I had 3.45's and 2.73 low range, I'd have gone 5.13's by now.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different conversation dude. Not the OP of the thread, another user named Milt, with a Sahara, and 37’s.

I dunno, read the posts above maybe? I didn’t think it was that difficult to follow.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being way over geared will exacerbate turbo lag. If the op is still running 3.45 gears on 37's, re-gearing will do more than virtually anything short of a v8 swap to improve driveability. Yes, on 4.10's our rubicon is fine on 37's, although we have the beauty of 4-1 low range more than making up for being over-geared when off road. 4.88's would be better but I'm with you on being in no hurry to regear. If I had 3.45's and 2.73 low range, I'd have gone 5.13's by now.
Agree with you entirely on this, I see people talking about performance loss with the rubi wheels on the stock gearing. I can’t imagine adding another 4 inches on is going to do any favors.

As to real actual person that started this thread 5 pages ago, I still think he was mistaking lag in the throttle and transmission response for genuine turbo lag.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Different conversation dude. Not the OP of the thread, another user named Milt, with a Sahara, and 37’s.

I dunno, read the posts above maybe? I didn’t think it was that difficult to follow.
I read everything before I post. It's why I don't use terms like maybe, must be, and I dunno in my posts. You're the one having a difficult time following, and rather than simply admitting that you commented on something you have no experience with, you choose to side step and back peddle.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Being way over geared will exacerbate turbo lag.
Can you expand on this?

I will admit to being new to turbos, but a 3.45/37" combo would put more load on the engine, which would result in a higher EGT, which should actually reduce turbo lag... correct?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
[QUOTE="AnnDee4444, post: 1263300, member:
Can you expand on this?

I will admit to being new to turbos, but a 3.45/37" combo would put more load on the engine, which would result in a higher EGT, which should actually reduce turbo lag... correct?
[/QUOTE]
Boost is very rpm dependent, yes there are various driving situations where the vehicle may be in a lower gear due to higher load and thus already be higher in the boost curve. The biggest place you feel boost lag is at low rpms. Upon take off, or when you attempt to accelerate hard from low rpm in a passing situation. Being over geared in both of those situations will take longer to get the rpms up and build boost. Even outside of boost, I think most of us have driven an overgeared rig at some point and know for a fact how much it hurts acceleration. It's pretty easy to feel the difference in the jeep by simply putting the jeep in low range and applying the same throttle input as you do in high range. Immediate acceleration, thanks in part to the gearing, but also thanks to the quicker building of boost by the higher rpm at a given speed.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read everything before I post. It's why I don't use terms like maybe, must be, and I dunno in my posts. You're the one having a difficult time following, and rather than simply admitting that you commented on something you have no experience with, you choose to side step and back peddle.
Cool story bro. Go tell that guy with the Sahara what to do then.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool story bro. Go tell that guy with the Sahara what to do then.
Congratulations. Yours is the mentality that ruins things for those who are far more deserving. And I'm not the only one that clearly sees that you bring nothing to the table. I'm just the one who knowingly wasted their time in shedding a light on it.

Now, continue on posting about what you know zero of. And think of how many others do the same, when you have a question that needs a factual answer.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I thought turbo lag had basically been eliminated by now?
Sponsored