Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have a hard time believing that the throttle delay can be adjusted by intercepting the throttle pedal position signal. For that to be true, the throttle delay would have to be controlled by a timing circuit built into the pedal assembly. I'm not saying it ain't so, I'm saying it is hard to believe.
I'm pretty sure all the pedal commander does is tell the computer that you have pushed the pedal further than you did.
Now, back to turbo lag, because that is what I am dealing with. I know it is turbo lag because if I keep the turbo spooled I don't have any. Also, I can watch the boost pressure on a gauge and visually see the turbo lag.
Oh never mind.
There is a bit of timing built into the pedal response in the ecu. Fast small movements (like your foot bouncing the pedal a little when going over bumps) are ignored for smoother engine operation and less emissions. Not sure what a pedal mapper can do about that, but changing the pedal curve may make the ecu think it needs to respond quicker.

Anyway, I've heard tuning is about to be released for the 2.0 from DiabloSport and SuperChips VERY soon. I drove a vehicle with one of these tunes and it was impressively peppy. Not sure about peak gains but over all drivability was great. Throttle response can most definitely be adjusted there, but I don't know what kind of changes were in the one I drove. That jeep had wide 35" tires and 20" rims, but it still felt great. It had no engine mods, just suspension. Between the engine and trans, a tune will definitely help with turbo lag.

Something to try anyway.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
Dumb question, what gearing and tire size are you running? Lag seams minimal in our 2019, thanks to the bsg, even on 37’s. Yes there is a bit, which took the wife some getting used to in the mud. If you need quick wheel speed trying to rock it out of a mud hole, you just have to hammer the skinny pedal. Her coming from a v8 grand Cherokee she was more apt to roll into the throttle. I’m no engineer, but I did see a video where the guy got slightly quicker quarter mile times in a charger with the pedal commander, which kinda shows it can’t just be telling the ecu you are pushing the throttle further than you are? I also disagree with the idea that an aftermarket bypass valve couldn’t help, as better boost control is better boost control?

tfinnell

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubi Recon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
After reading all the comments, here's my 2 cents. I traded my '18 Rubi 3.6 for a '20 Recon Rubi 2.0. I added Borla exhaust and S&B cold air. Zero lag on regular fuel, last 300 mile trip 28.3 mpg. Also much quicker than the 3.6, needless to say I have no complaints about lag or the 2.0.

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
I just got back from Silver Lake Dunes for my first tine and thought the lag was gonna be an issue, but like someone said already, I used the Trans manual mode and spooled up the R’s maintaining 2700-3000 rpm on the climb was the sweet spot. I had a lot of fun and lag was not an issue.

Tonythis

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mbenz E450c
So i'm not sure why they are talking Hrtz. I mean its a source manipulation (i'm also not an electrical engineer, soo). The potentiometer contains a carbon track connected to the power supply at one end and ground at the other. A slider mechanically connected to the accelerator pedal slides over the carbon track picking up the sensor voltage.

The ECU monitors applied voltage as well as rate of change of voltage. SOO... the device plugs in in-line between the pedal and the ecu. To the best of my knowledge, it will exponentially increase that voltage signal, or retard it for eco mode. I have always been skeptical with these types of products ever since those weird ass performance modules showed up on ebay 20 years ago.

But they work. the Pedal Commander (which I use) (with other mods) works really really well. If i set it race mode and set the sub settings to the highest value, I can break traction at the rear wheel... I am running 37's with stock Rubicon gearing. It's almost violent acceleration. It's not what I ever want to feel in my 2dr Wrangler.

I think for a minimal investment, this is the best bang for the buck for "seat of the pants" feel for performance mods. This does not give you more HP but changes the way you use it.

I have great success with performance upgrades with the 2.0L t. Compared to boosting a NA engine or swapping the stock turbo for a larger one and remapping, for around $1,500 you can get a real performance change that I think would keep most people satisfied.

My mods include:
-Pedal Commander ( $299 no Performance gains)
-Race Chip piggyback performance chip tuner ($550 w/ bluetooth)
Jeep 2.0T 270 HP (199 kW) 295 TQ
RaceChip GTS + App
+29 HP (+22 kW)
+44 TQ

-Mishimoto intercooler pipe ($388 Dyno-proven gains of up to 12 lb-ft of torque and 7 horsepower)
AFE intake filter ($60 stock intake, probably negligible gains)
AFE rear muffler delete ($149 , probably negligible gains)

Recently came back from a trip to Colorado which included Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass and Mosquito Pass. My little 2.0t with 37's out performed 2 JK's with 35's.

There is this weird sweet spot with the eTorque and these mods. and I like it.
Could you put a link to the AFE rear muffler delete for the 2.0t I have been looking for one but only fine reference to the 3.6 engine.

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Could you put a link to the AFE rear muffler delete for the 2.0t I have been looking for one but only fine reference to the 3.6 engine.
Its the same exhaust system between the two

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
To. Improve throttle response. “Feel” look at a GFB BV+ and a throttle commander. Neither will ”make“ power but they will smooth/sharpen throttle response significantly. Very common in sports car communities. Cost is minimal and installation is a no brainer. I would try those mods before anything expensive or high tech.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I also have “lag.” 2019 2.0 On 37s

From a stop, turning left (my morning commute) I slowly accelerate into the left lane then the turbo boosts. This is the only time I dislike this engine. A left turn in this area generally means taking your life in your hands between traffic coming from either direction.

Help me improve it please.

Pedal commander vs tuner vs upgearing.

I always seem to have power on tap while in 4lo on the trails

I’m undergeared as i never see 8th gear (rarely 7th)

So I’m assuming all 3 options will help, but for me (37s, 3.45 gears), changing gears would help me gain increased acceleration and better mpg

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
In before the other hams start talking about Hz....

73, KJ7BSC ;););););)

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Beat the shit out of it for a few days. Your lag will be gone. Pedal response will be quicker and it will behave as you want it to. I replaced my battery a few weeks ago and experienced lag after the reset. I just kept mashing the throttle from stops for a couple days and voila. Makes a big difference when the computer adapts to your driving. Very quick pedal movements.

Be careful though, there was quite a few times I took some life out of the 37 12.50 BFGs. Lol

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I also have “lag.” 2019 2.0 On 37s

From a stop, turning left (my morning commute) I slowly accelerate into the left lane then the turbo boosts. This is the only time I dislike this engine. A left turn in this area generally means taking your life in your hands between traffic coming from either direction.

Help me improve it please.

Pedal commander vs tuner vs upgearing.

I always seem to have power on tap while in 4lo on the trails

I’m undergeared as i never see 8th gear (rarely 7th)

So I’m assuming all 3 options will help, but for me (37s, 3.45 gears), changing gears would help me gain increased acceleration and better mpg
I'd definitely regear, 4.10's in a rubicon are liveable enough not to regear but 4.88's would be optimal in my opinion. Especially considering non-rubicons don't have the low gears to make up for it off road. Might even consider 5.13's.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'd definitely regear, 4.10's in a rubicon are liveable enough not to regear but 4.88's would be optimal in my opinion. Especially considering non-rubicons don't have the low gears to make up for it off road. Might even consider 5.13's.
Seriously, running 37's on the original gearing must be absolutely miserable.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
After reading all the comments, here's my 2 cents. I traded my '18 Rubi 3.6 for a '20 Recon Rubi 2.0. I added Borla exhaust and S&B cold air. Zero lag on regular fuel, last 300 mile trip 28.3 mpg. Also much quicker than the 3.6, needless to say I have no complaints about lag or the 2.0.
Love my Recon. No lag for my driving habits. There is NO WAY ON EARTH I could get that kind of gas mileage LOL. Maybe if I drove at 35mph and never stopped. I’m 20mpg all day long.
Sponsored