Sponsored

Is there a video on how to completely remove the soft top?

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
Youtube is filled with videos on removing the panels and putting the top down but what about actually dismounting the soft top from the Jeep?
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty much it.
It can be done solo, but it's like wrestling an octopus to get the top off or back in place. Infinitely easier with a helper.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
It can be done solo, but it's like wrestling an octopus to get the top off or back in place.
This is true.

If you still have the soft top cover, put it on the top while it's folded back and it's much easier to handle when actually lifting it off the Jeep.

Konamonster

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon - Had 2018 JLU Sahara
Note from experience: Make sure you lock it in folded down position on each side!! If not, when you pull it off the frame, the springs will rotate the mechanism and pinch your fingers between the tube supports.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a video on how to completely remove the soft top? 1614718643427

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned above, lock the mechanism and add a couple of straps around the roof material and frame arms to keep it from opening up as you lift it off. Buy a couple of long arm brackets to hang it on the garage wall.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Note from experience: Make sure you lock it in folded down position on each side!! If not, when you pull it off the frame, the springs will rotate the mechanism and pinch your fingers between the tube supports.
Agreed! My wife got her JLU in May of '18. I built a wood cart for the hard top and we put the soft top on the next day, no issues. When my son and I removed it in the fall we forgot to wrap the protective cover around it and forgot to lock the latch mechanism. What a disaster!

Spring and fall of 2019 was much smoother with install and removal LOL.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales

ThereIsNoTry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL wrangler 4dr sport
I was wondering if there were any parts of the softtop that can be left on or if all brackets need to be removed.
I want to put my hardtop back on for a camping trip where it is gonna be around 100.

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I was wondering if there were any parts of the softtop that can be left on or if all brackets need to be removed.
I want to put my hardtop back on for a camping trip where it is gonna be around 100.
Yes, I do this for soft top in the warmer months and hard top in the cooler months. From what I remember:

1. Fold the top into the closed position and lock it.
2. From the instructions screenshot above, there are two bolts connecting the top to the locking mechanism on each side. Remove those and you should be able to pull the top off.
3. On the roll bar, remove the plastic rain channels. There are 2 on each side for the JLU, all are attached with 2 bolts.
4. At the back by the tailgate, there are two plastic bits, one on each corner. Remove these as well.

I am going based on memory, but I believe that’s all you need to remove for the hard top. Effectively, the inner plastic bits and locking mechanism can be left alone, you just need to remove the parts which the hard top would otherwise sit on.
Sponsored