Sponsored

Is there a true fix for the Steering/Wandering issue?

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
SteerSmarts kit. Adjustable upper control arms for more Caster 5.8-6 degrees. Adjust toe.

Jeep replaced my gear, steering stabilizer, and updated programming. Still wandered. Replaced the track bar/steering, and added longer lower control arms out of the Mopar 2" kit for more Caster. Mine doesnt wander anymore.
Sponsored

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
My stock 2019 Rubicon has been I. The shop over one week already and they have no clue.

CANT ANYONE HELP US??

OP
OP
crystalbackJL

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Thanks for all of the reply's.

Looks like I'm going to invest out of pocket expenses to have my Jeep safe on the highways.
Shame on you FCA!

Thanks again fellow Jeepers.

Keep Jeepin...

KodyT215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
My stock 2019 Rubicon has been I. The shop over one week already and they have no clue.

CANT ANYONE HELP US??

Since the video doesn't show your hands, is the steering wheel turning left and right consistently on its own or are you manually turning it back and forth 1-1.5" within the "play" zone? I suspect the latter since it looks like you successfully made four steering corrections in the video and the jeep responded

Sponsored

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Just took my new JLU into the dealership for this issue. Dealership starts checking your alignment ASAP when pulling into the service bay due to how bad our roads are here in Michigan. I'm still checking in with the service advisor when the tech comes up and asks:

Tech: Is this Jeep in here for alignment?
Advisor: No, it's in here for a steering issue
Tech: Good because something isn't right on that Jeep

Good to know the tech sees the same thing I do. All of 850 miles on it, still all stock. I'll get the rundown when they tell me what they are seeing on it.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the video doesn't show your hands, is the steering wheel turning left and right consistently on its own or are you manually turning it back and forth 1-1.5" within the "play" zone? I suspect the latter since it looks like you successfully made four steering corrections in the video and the jeep responded
It’s just loose, I’m manually turning it back

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STILL no call from my dealer. I’ve even messaged Jeep Cares on here and they pretty much ignored me.
No one has a clue what to do, I’m ashamed to be a first time Jeep owner with this legit safety issue that can’t be figured out. Might never go Jeep or recommend one again.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just took my new JLU into the dealership for this issue. Dealership starts checking your alignment ASAP when pulling into the service bay due to how bad our roads are here in Michigan. I'm still checking in with the service advisor when the tech comes up and asks:

Tech: Is this Jeep in here for alignment?
Advisor: No, it's in here for a steering issue
Tech: Good because something isn't right on that Jeep

Good to know the tech sees the same thing I do. All of 850 miles on it, still all stock. I'll get the rundown when they tell me what they are seeing on it.
Keep me posted bro. My dealer has it a week and I haven’t gotten any phone calls yet

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did it “respond”? There’s way too much play in the steering to just go straight. I can’t tell you how many times I have wandered into another lane or the emergency shoulder. If I drive for more than 30 minutes my arms are absolutely killing me from constantly keeping this car in the middle of the road

Sponsored

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr

CANT ANYONE HELP US??

I'm curious, is that with your hands off the wheel ( that's one hell of a lot of movement! )

Grayce's mom

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
I have a couple of points worth mentioning here. I have a custom-ordered 2019 Sahara with only 100 miles on it. On the way home from the dealership, keeping it in the lane on the road was a nuisance. It kept wandering and steering was sloppy/loose in general.

I talked to the dealership, they were clueless. I called Jeep, they knew nothing but I did log a case with Customer Care.

Tire pressure:
It is noteworthy that the tires were at 41 psi. I guess they ship like that and the dealership didn't care to adjust them. On the door jam, it suggests 36 psi. I have 255/70R18 113T. I just dropped them down to 36 psi and went on a quick test drive. It seems better in terms of wandering. The result is not conclusive. I have to go on another test drive and will write here again. But initially, it appears that wandering decreased.

Wandering vs. Loose Steering:
For me, I am separating between loose steering and wandering. I feel that loose steering is just the way it is. But when it wanders, correcting course with loose steering makes for an annoying experience, further amplifying the issue.

So next steps for all of us experiencing this (let's team up on this):
1. Check tire pressure and reduce to 36 cold. Please report back and tell us what the PSI was and what you changed it to, tire size etc... Test drive and write back.
2. If it persists, please submit a complaint here. This is so important if we're ever gonna get heard.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER%2520UNLIMITED/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release#complaints
3. Log a case with Jeep Customer care. When you call them, demand that they log a case for you and get the case number. A call without case logged is useless. Tell them that you are concerned about your safety. Number: 877-426-5337. more contact info here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Jeep2
4. Last but not least, if you feel desperate :) consider tweeting Jeep about it.

I will write back once I drive it more to conclude whether the tire pressure was an adequate fix. Let's keep this discussion going. Try not to tinker with the vehicle by adjusting and modifying things especially if you bought it new and it's still under warranty.

IMG_20190425_074124.jpg
“I talked to the dealership, they were clueless. I called Jeep, they knew nothing but I did log a case with Customer Care.”
I call BS on your dealership and Jeep customer care not knowing about this. I’d go so far as to say they are flat out lying to you.
I had the so called death wobble and also lost my steering on an exit ramp nearly crashing into the guardrail. My vehicle 2018 JL Sahara sat for 54 days in service waiting for Jeep to re-engineer and build the new stabilizer and drive box so they could replace them. I am not the only one who this has happened to. We have since settled with FCA under our state’s lemon law and we no longer own the Jeep.
If you search this site, you will find many complaints about these issues. The dealerships know and customer care knows too.
Good luck

jmcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara

CANT ANYONE HELP US??

My brand new 2018 JL has more play than this video. I feel like I am driving my 66 Mustang all over again. One second crossing the line and next second on the shoulder. Definitely not a happy camper.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious, is that with your hands off the wheel ( that's one hell of a lot of movement! )
Hands are on the wheel. Definitely don’t want to try it without hands on

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
STILL no call from my dealer. I’ve even messaged Jeep Cares on here and they pretty much ignored me.
No one has a clue what to do, I’m ashamed to be a first time Jeep owner with this legit safety issue that can’t be figured out. Might never go Jeep or recommend one again.
Call and ask for the manager of the dealership. Explain to him/her in a rational way the situation. Keep it factual. Provide dates and details of what happened and whom you've spoken with. From now on also keep a log of all the dates/conversations/names/details with all dealership and FCA employees.

Your posts on here are coming across in a way that if this is also how you are engaging with the dealership you will not get to a solution.

You need to become your own advocate to get this resolved as in todays world nobody will do it for you. The days of great customer care are long gone for many brands; and FCA is one of them.
Sponsored