Sponsored

Is there a true fix for the Steering/Wandering issue?

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
B.S. or total H.S.
What’s B.S.? That my 2020 JLU drives like garbage and FCA refuses to rectify the issue? Or that steering is tighter in cold weather? Search the forum, many have noticed this way before I noticed it. I spoke to a Jeep rep who flat out said they don’t know how to fix the shitty steering in a bunch of JL’s with issues. Last he told me, they were working on updating software that could modify the electronic assist input.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What’s B.S.? That my 2020 JLU drives like garbage and FCA refuses to rectify the issue? Or that steering is tighter in cold weather? Search the forum, many have noticed this way before I noticed it. I spoke to a Jeep rep who flat out said they don’t know how to fix the shitty steering in a bunch of JL’s with issues. Last he told me, they were working on updating software that could modify the electronic assist input.
Haha, You said it was the aluminum housing. What does this have to do with the aluminum housing? Nothing, you haven't a clue and are just venting B.S. Is your JLU 100% STOCK ? many folks have gone to after market wheels, heavier tires and done some sort of lift, all to the detriment of castor and scrub engineered into the steering. I believe very few have a stock, factory steering problem that can't be resolvedly warranty.

Last edited:

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Haha, You said it was the aluminum housing. what does this have to do with the aluminum housing?
Like I said, if I knew what the problem was I’d fix it and move on with my life.
Someone above noticed that their steering was better in cold temps and asked if anyone else experiences this. I gave an honest answer. Many have noticed the same thing. If you’re a genius with the knowledge to fix the issue I will gladly send your name along to the FCA engineering department since they can’t figure it out.

This thread is about having steering issues, if you are not affected by these issues move along. Some of us are trying to fix our rigs so that we can actually drive them.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Like I said, if I knew what the problem was I’d fix it and move on with my life.
Someone above noticed that their steering was better in cold temps and asked if anyone else experiences this. I gave an honest answer. Many have noticed the same thing. If you’re a genius with the knowledge to fix the issue I will gladly send your name along to the FCA engineering department since they can’t figure it out.

This thread is about having steering issues, if you are not affected by these issues move along. Some of us are trying to fix our rigs so that we can actually drive them.
not hard to see your issues will never be resolved ! Get a different vehicle and move on.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
If I could explain it, the problem would be fixed and I wouldn’t be spending time on this forum trying to figure it out. I’m guessing poor QC for a batch of steering boxes.

Read the epic 300+ page “Loose Steering” thread that’s over 2 years old and going strong if you’re looking for many others reporting the same issue. I’m just reporting my honest experience. The 2nd service manager I worked with noticed the same thing up until an FCA TA gave him a visit and quickly shut him up. Search this forum, many have noticed tighter steering in cold weather or, search steering lock up in cold weather. No steering lock up issues have been reported in warm weather.
Maybe that is it?

I live in the Everglades and have zero issues with my 2020 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
If I could explain it, the problem would be fixed and I wouldn’t be spending time on this forum trying to figure it out. I’m guessing poor QC for a batch of steering boxes.

Read the epic 300+ page “Loose Steering” thread that’s over 2 years old and going strong if you’re looking for many others reporting the same issue. I’m just reporting my honest experience. The 2nd service manager I worked with noticed the same thing up until an FCA TA gave him a visit and quickly shut him up. Search this forum, many have noticed tighter steering in cold weather or, search steering lock up in cold weather. No steering lock up issues have been reported in warm weather.
You don’t need me to read the 300 pages....I’m a major contributor to the saga and have been thru the jeep wringer for over a year. Check out my 300+ past posts!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Haha, You said it was the aluminum housing. What does this have to do with the aluminum housing? Nothing, you haven't a clue and are just venting B.S. Is your JLU 100% STOCK ? many folks have gone to after market wheels, heavier tires and done some sort of lift, all to the detriment of castor and scrub engineered into the steering. I believe very few have a stock, factory steering problem that can't be resolvedly warranty.

Not true. I’m 100% stock, Blackall tires
Had everything done jeep recommended including 3 steering boxes, dampers, track bars, alignment and it still sucks. I’ve driven plenty of jeeps in various series that all drive better.
I have no loose steering wheel, just wandering all over the road like a bad shopping cart.
Difficult to control. Other than the crappy steering it’s a great jeep, and I’m not interested in changing for a car. Yes I’m pissed since only a percentage of these have the problem it’s NOT everyone and jeep doesn’t give a rats ass. And I have been told they don’t know how to fix it. I have gone thru jeeps highest level of regional technicians. And yes, I have filed a lawsuit against them and will request a replacement of the same series, which I will take on a lengthy test drive before accepting.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Had everything done jeep recommended including 3 steering boxes, dampers, track bars, alignment and it still sucks. I’ve driven plenty of jeeps in various series that all drive better.
I have no loose steering wheel, just wandering all over the road like a bad shopping cart.
Difficult to control. Other than the crappy steering it’s a great jeep, and I’m not interested in changing for a car. Yes I’m pissed since only a percentage of these have the problem it’s NOT everyone and jeep doesn’t give a rats ass. And I have been told they don’t know how to fix it. I have gone thru jeeps highest level of regional technicians. And yes, I have filed a lawsuit against them and will request a replacement of the same series, which I will take on a lengthy test drive before accepting.
If Jeep replaced all the stuff you said, time for you to move on to a rack & pinion vehicle.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
When you are in a grocery store, check out how the front wheels are mounted.

If the mount was directly above the center of the wheel, the cart would behave radically and would not naturally steer straight ahead
My TJ steered straight and so does my JL.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
So we’re in the same boat then. I think I took your post the wrong way as if you were denying there are issues. My bad on that.

My JLU is stock. Steering issues were noticed on the drive home from dealer. Many stock jeeps on these forums with bad steering/wandering.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Correct, Not if you expect rack&pinion feel steering.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So we’re in the same boat then. I think I took your post the wrong way as if you were denying there are issues. My bad on that.

My JLU is stock. Steering issues were noticed on the drive home from dealer. Many stock jeeps on these forums with bad steering/wandering.
If 95% of stock Jl's steer fine and you are not happy, yours is correct-able with stock warranty replacement parts. If you are still not happy with the steering after warranty work, you need a different vehicle.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If 95% of stock Jl's steer fine and you are not happy, yours is correct-able with stock warranty replacement parts. If you are still not happy with the steering after warranty work, you need a different vehicle.
No, if I wanted a Toyota I would have bought one.
I want it to steer like the 95% that drive proper. They will fix it or replace it at their expense.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
People who've installed the PSC system seem very happy.
Sponsored