Sponsored

Is there a true fix for the Steering/Wandering issue?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
This thread is helpful, especially for one who is learning about the steering parts.

My Jeep is still at the dealer for another issue and I have my loose and wandering steering as part of my case number with FCA. The service department is going to look at it after the Jeep is drivable again.

Iā€™m thinking that Iā€™ll give them this shot at the steering and if it doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll go the aftermarket route.

Questions (Iā€™m researching, but thought Iā€™d ask here, too):

- Iā€™m reading about the drag link and track bar, is the tie rod something that should also be replaced?

- Yeti seems to be an excellent brand (we had it on our JK). Others? Metalcloak is close to me and Iā€™ll have their Cloakworks shop do the install.

Thank you all for your help and inputā€”much appreciated.
I had to remove the tie rod at the passenger side to install the Synergy drag link. The tie rod ends were very stiff, I didn't feel like they were a problem.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had to remove the tie rod at the passenger side to install the Synergy drag link. The tie rod ends were very stiff, I didn't feel like they were a problem.
Thanks!

My service advisor called this morning to say the diff was fixed and they checked the steering components. They noticed the alignment was off and are going to do an alignment before I pick it up. He said I can do a drive with a tech to see how it steers.

Iā€™ve been really happy with this service department.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Ok guys, the Jeep goes in for its oil and inspection this Friday and Iā€™m going to ask them to readjust the alignment. So many folks here have suggested setting the toe in to something other than the standard setting and I want them to set this to what has worked for everyone to assist in the wandering issue. Looking for suggestions on what I should tell them I want it at.
Just a stock Sahara, no lift or special tires.
Seemed like 1/4ā€ was the recommendation... is that still correct ?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I picked up my Jeep after eight loooooong days at the dealer. They checked the steering components and they are tight, etc. They also did an alignmentā€”numbers below. My Jeep is only two weeks old, so I would think that the parts are the latest available.

I just noticed that the toe on the rear tires are off. Does that make a difference?

The steering was still loose and required some corrections (sometimes significant) to be straight. I'm going back tomorrow to ride with the lead tech (he wasn't available this afternoon when I went back).

IMG_6155-X2.jpg

IMG_6158-X2.jpg

Wolfff

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Safari
Occupation
MS Mechanical Engineering
Since FCA refuses to fix my steering/wandering issue with my Jeep.

I have two options, to either sell it or fix it out of my own pocket.

If I choose to fix it, are there any "TRUE" fixes out there in which I can purchase quality products the first time so I can enjoy my Jeep the way I intended to when I purchased it.
The question is : What is the root cause? I have the same problem (UJL 2/19). I looked at the problem from an input and output approach. Input = steering wheel, output wheel.
My issue is play in the steering system and I found that steering input is not transmitted to the wheels. By slightly turning the steering wheel the steering box does not transmit this input into a movement of the pitman arm coming out of the steering box. Therefore the steering issue must be in the steering box. The FCA rocket scientists at my dealership dismissing this since FCA only provides two solutions to the steering issue at the moment.
1. Replacement of track bar and steering damper
2. another updated version of a steering damper. That the steering damper has no effect in my case in of no interest since these steering box is not mentioned as an issue in any service bulletin.

In my case, assuming all ball joints are tight the solution would be low tolerance steering box. Today I went on ebay and found one with 124 mls on it. I will check it for play. If the play is acceptable I will replace my steering box myself . If there is play as well I will dismantle it and figure out what is causing the play and how it can be adjusted correctly. Wish me luck!

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
The question is : What is the root cause? I have the same problem (UJL 2/19). I looked at the problem from an input and output approach. Input = steering wheel, output wheel.
My issue is play in the steering system and I found that steering input is not transmitted to the wheels. By slightly turning the steering wheel the steering box does not transmit this input into a movement of the pitman arm coming out of the steering box. Therefore the steering issue must be in the steering box. The FCA rocket scientists at my dealership dismissing this since FCA only provides two solutions to the steering issue at the moment.
1. Replacement of track bar and steering damper
2. another updated version of a steering damper. That the steering damper has no effect in my case in of no interest since these steering box is not mentioned as an issue in any service bulletin.

In my case, assuming all ball joints are tight the solution would be low tolerance steering box. Today I went on ebay and found one with 124 mls on it. I will check it for play. If the play is acceptable I will replace my steering box myself . If there is play as well I will dismantle it and figure out what is causing the play and how it can be adjusted correctly. Wish me luck!
Iā€™d keep taking it back to the dealer and speak to a regional FCA manager. Donā€™t pay out of pocket.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Update...I didn't go to the dealer today because I wanted to drive it a bit and see how it drove.

Unfortunately, it doesn't drive well at all with the wandering and lose steering. I'm always having to correct the steering and work at keeping it in the lane. The steering is also an issue at low speeds (surface streets). There is a *lot* of play in the steering wheel, so the looseness doesn't help with wandering.

My plan is to take it back to the dealer tomorrow afternoon and have the tech ride with me and get his opinion. They have checked the torque on the connections and fixed the toe alignment (as shown above). While I've been happy with the service I've received so far, I'm prepared to hear the "it's in spec/it's a Jeep thing." If so, I'm going to go to Cloakworks, and talk to them about aftermarket solutions.

Do I want to pay out of pocket to fix the steering in a brand new Jeep (less than three weeks old)? Nope.

Do I want to wait around for the dealer and then worry about OEM parts failing down the road? Not at all. I would rather find a solution that works, so I can enjoy my Jeep. I'm loving it, but this steering does need to be sorted out. Now.

There's a ton of info and testimonials on here, so thank you for that. I'm doing my best to learn about all this and make the best decision.

Edited to add that the tire PSI is at 34 cold.

Last edited:

Wolfff

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Safari
Occupation
MS Mechanical Engineering
Hi
I am in the same situation. I got the the steering box for relatively small money on Ebay. Chances are that this thing is better than the one I have in my Wrangler right now. Spending hours at the dealership talking to this customer psychologists (Service advisers) is not my thing. I can spend the same time do something which has a small chance of success.

But I doubt it because :

The key problem is WHY FCA is messing around with this issue for so long and risking the Wrangler reputation? If I would be in the market for a new JL I would not buy a JL right now!!
So why is there no fix yet. I was thinking about that for a while. Technically there are only three areas where the steering issues can come from.
1. Steering gear box ---> solution: improved design with less play (Partially already addressed with software update)
2. Steering linkage -----> beefed up linkage (partially already addressed)
3. Combination with / of other issues.

I can only speculate about item 3 but during my research about the steering play issue I came across a lot of posts about the "death wobble" and cracked welds. To me the death wobble is nothing else than resonance vibrations generated in the steering linkage transmitted into the steering wheel. These harmonics seem so bad in some Wranglers that people had to brake in order to get the steering wheel under control again. Again I am reflecting only on what I read.
These resonance vibrations seem to be initiated by road bumps and transmitted into the the steering linkage, through the steering gearbox into the steering wheel with increasing amplitude until it reaches a standing wave pattern and feeds itself.

With introduction of the Wrangler Jeep switched to a aluminum ladder frame which performs completely different then a steel frame in regards vibration. Aluminum is lighter but not as strong and and not as bendable but not as stiff as steel. ( e.g. there are no springs made of aluminum )

Lets take three major JL issues and look at these as if these would be connected:
1. Cracked welds in frame
2 Death Wobble
3 Steering play

These issues could be connected because:
1. the the frame is made out of aluminum and might be vibrating at certain frequencies causing stress cracks in the frame
2. this vibrations of the frame could be the cause for harmonics in the steering gear and could cause the "death wobble" of the steering wheel

Now this is where the unresolved steering play issue fits into the equation:
3. In order to interrupt these harmonics Jeep intentionally designed the play in the steering gear box to interrupt ( de-tune) these harmonics in the steering system in order to avoid uncontrolled steering wheel reactions causing accidents.

An interesting question would be if there are Wrangles with a "Death Wobble" issue and with play in steering. If there are some then my whole theory would be wrong. Please let me know.

Again this are only my thoughts why Jeep did not come up with a steering play fix for the JL. These people are not stupid. Forcing people to live with steering play is much cheaper than spending millions to beef up the frames on the JL's. This would be a major and expensive recall.
This theory could be supported if in fact the front part of the Gladiator frame has been redesigned. I don't know.

Lets hope that my theory is wrong. If this theory would be right the only steering play fix would be a JM Wrangler with a beefed up front frame.

Just my 5 cents

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just one correction, the frame is galvanized steel from my understanding. That's why it's so hard to weld.
The steering box is aluminum. Some have theorized that it is more flexible and/or expandable than steel leading to greater lash, especially at higher temperatures.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
So my steering I'm always tugging to the left to keep straight like it's out of alignment. Took it to the dealer and they said the way Texas roads are designed means I'll always have to do that since they slightly decline left to right for drainage. But I'm not really noticing this in my Audi or other cars I'm able to drive. They did an alignment and said it was in spec. Adjusted slightly for me, but it didn't make much of a difference. Steering doesn't feel overly loose, but I'm not sure that's a good thing since being tighter I'm just having use more force to keep it straight. Can't tell if this is a similar issue or a different one. Thanks.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Question, I have steering issues with my 2018 Rubicon JLUR. Has anyone gone out and physically pulled down on their tie rod assembly and drag link and then pushed up on it? have you noticed a clunking due to the up and down play involved? I`m not talking about rotational play, straight up and down clunking without rotating the tie rod assembly or drag link
While my Rubicon has been at the dealer for almost a week I have gone to 2 other local Jeep dealers and checked on 2019 Rubicons with the updated tie rod assemblies and drag links and there is no play at all and after test driving 2 of them they deffinetly drove WAY much better then my non lifted Rubicon with 2200 street miles on it. The PCM has been re-flashed in the past and it still wanders and has a dead spot when my hand is at 12:00 on the steering wheel and I turn from roughly 11:00 to 1:00 the Jeep pretty much stays straight and requires constant steering correction to keep it straight. Death wobble is also a issue and seems to be getting worse as time goes on. They have yet to replace the steering stabilizer I have that has a bad date code. Yes I have posted about this before. Yes Jeep cares is involved but they really need to be educated before they open their mouths, three different stories from three different Jeep cares reps.One funny thing I was told by Jeep Cares is that they can not diagnose or fix a Jeep over the phone but yet they will accept a cell phone picture from a service manager to determine if a Track Bar weld is good or bad.

My service manager is a pro with haven driven 5-6 Jeeps with a steering issue. I know he has a job to do that involves all makes and model cars, trucks and suv`s BUT I have one Rubicon to deal with and all day to deal with it and research it and talk to manufactures of steering components, BFG tire manufacture and Fox shock manufacture and most importantly other Jeep owners who`s safety is at risk due to a faulty steering issue.
I can afford to replace all the Tie Rod assembly, Drag Link, Steering Stabilizer and Track Bar with aftermarket parts myself and have it aligned and from what I have read, been told and know that others have done to resolve the issue there is a really good chance it will be corrected and drive like it should but why should I have to do so? $30k-$60k for a Jeep that I have to fix for my own safety?? I know others that have proceeded with a buy back or Lemon Law depending on their situation. Why can`t Jeep just face the music and make it right? I said it before and I`ll say it again, is it going to take someone getting killed or seriously injured and suing Jeep to finally fix this steering issue? I know it`s my decision to do whats best for me but I wish I never had to make this decision, when I signed the contract to buy my Jeep I did not sign up for this. Sh*t happens, but to this many vehicles?
Once again sorry for the long rant.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So my steering I'm always tugging to the left to keep straight like it's out of alignment. Took it to the dealer and they said the way Texas roads are designed means I'll always have to do that since they slightly decline left to right for drainage. But I'm not really noticing this in my Audi or other cars I'm able to drive. They did an alignment and said it was in spec. Adjusted slightly for me, but it didn't make much of a difference. Steering doesn't feel overly loose, but I'm not sure that's a good thing since being tighter I'm just having use more force to keep it straight. Can't tell if this is a similar issue or a different one. Thanks.
Your dealer is an idiot.

We all know that what causes this problem is that Yexas roads are made of concrete. Or maybe they have white painted lines on them. Or maybe itā€™s because Texas roads are hot in that sun.

Or, maybe your dealer just lied to you to make you go away.

Ask your dealer to take you out in his ford or Chevy or Toyota pickup truck. See if the ā€˜Texas roadsā€ cause the same issues for those vehicles as your wrangler.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
You are 100% correct on calling him a Idiot. He opens his mouth and makes a fool of himself. I was told by him that even though I REQUESTED the alignment to be checked as per the Star Case number and the steering wheel being off center while you drive straight that by, GET THIS, driving it across the parking lot the steering was on and there were not any issues with the steering wheel being off center. Thank God he actually wrote that in the report he gave me the first time it was in for the same issue. Oh the stories I could tell

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I picked up my Jeep after eight loooooong days at the dealer. They checked the steering components and they are tight, etc. They also did an alignmentā€”numbers below. My Jeep is only two weeks old, so I would think that the parts are the latest available.

I just noticed that the toe on the rear tires are off. Does that make a difference?

The steering was still loose and required some corrections (sometimes significant) to be straight. I'm going back tomorrow to ride with the lead tech (he wasn't available this afternoon when I went back).

IMG_6155-X2.jpg

IMG_6158-X2.jpg

Get your caster to 6 +/- degrees. That is what I did and it corrected the loose steering/ tracking-wandering down the freeway. Drives straight now. Ask around to some alignment shops-they may agree as well.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Get your caster to 6 +/- degrees. That is what I did and it corrected the loose steering/ tracking-wandering down the freeway. Drives straight now. Ask around to some alignment shops-they may agree as well.
Thanks. I did read that 6 degrees works best. I believe I need different lower control arms to change the caster? I didnā€™t have time to have my Jeep looked at todayā€”will have to wait until Monday.
Sponsored