Sponsored

Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
https://ezuft.com Haha $450:whatsgoingon: Maybe $125.
I agree on several fronts Ben including:

1) Make a Jeep accessory too pricey and people will buy an alternative (e.g. Bestop Sunrider) or make it themselves.
2) Despite the aircraft/marine grade hardware being used, I would guess that in parts, this device costs 1/8 of its asking price.

But then again, the owner probably feels that his time in developing this, which I'll bet took numerous iterations, and how $0.40 of every dollar might go to liability insurance weighs down at his profit.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The concept of the thread is solid, but the implementation is a challenge.
A rail system could certainly be designed, but comes with issues of its own.
If you affix the panels to the track, you've also created a path for water to follow into the vehicle. If you attach it on the outside, you have exposed ends and/or fasteners which will make wind noise and look ugly.
If you do the box style like the sketch on the previous page shows you avoid the track system. The down side being that the panels would be free to move around in there unless a channel (as suggested) was positioned to guide them in. Doing that though then requires the box to be wider than the panels by however thick the channel is. Since the Freedom panels are as wide as the top, you'd then have a weird overhang on both sides of the hardtop where the box had to extend beyond for the channel. Really, even without a channel, the box would still overhang if you want the panels completely enclosed, but that could be done minimally.
Any method that requires sliding the panels front/back will risk scratching the hardtop or panels.

So now that it sounds like I've crapped all over the idea, I will agree that it's not impossible to make this type of product. I could probably design something that would work, which means someone else can too. The problem is any system that's going to be secure, and able to work from inside the vehicle as described, is not going to be cost effective and will likely require some permanent modifications to the hard top. I don't foresee a marketable solution coming in short of $500+, which is going to have most people looking at the Sunrider or DIY methods.

I guess the point is, OP it's a good idea and can be done. You're not going to find one currently on the market, and if you ever do it will probably be very expensive.
I know the Sunrider has been brought up, and yes it's expensive. Keep an eye on the marketplace here on the forum and get one used. I got a deal on one, and I use it all the time. By far my favorite mod. You can open/close the roof from the driver seat in about 10 seconds. No storage to worry about, and you can still install a roof rack. It's best solution I found, and I'm able to design and make my own rail system, box, etc. if I wanted to. I can't R&D something like that for the price of a used Sunrider.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
How about a large, heavy-duty, corrugated carton with expandable foam inserts to protect and separate the 2 Freedom Panels? You could store it in the bed

Jeep Wrangler JL Is there a storage solution for the Freedom Panels on the roof? Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 2.11.51 PM

Sponsored

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I'd like to share an idea along the lines of this thread that I tried back in 2018 and which, for me, crashed and burned. My goal was to put no holes in the Wrangler and provide similar functionality to that described here.

My hope is that someone can take it further than I could.

Anyway, I suspect that some of you are familiar with T-track common in woodworking.

https://www.rockler.com/17-piece-universal-t-track-kit

1599946462595.png

I thought if could wrap the track, complete with holes, around some of the Freedom top's hinges, with, say velcro...

...or if you prefer the opposite, to wrap the knobs around some of the Freedom top's hinges,

that I could slide the panels up and back, tighten the adjustment screws, and keep them in place above and behind where they normally sit closed, somewhere in the front top of the large hardtop section.

Yes, it was a hack that probably could have been made better if I committed to screwing stuff into the JL and leave permanent holes, or that I worked on harder or was more skilled.

I'd be thrilled if this idea could inspire someone to get further with it, or take it in a slightly differently directly with success where I couldn't.

:)
That is a start! Your mind is thinking make it flat on the hard top. What IF? The rails were enclosed in a cargo carrier (plastic) and the rails were mounted to the sides of the holding box. The freedom panels would have some clips (not attached to panels but waiting reception) that could slide into rails and back into the bock. The box could then be locked and waterproof and removable (tbd)?

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The concept of the thread is solid, but the implementation is a challenge.
A rail system could certainly be designed, but comes with issues of its own.
If you affix the panels to the track, you've also created a path for water to follow into the vehicle. If you attach it on the outside, you have exposed ends and/or fasteners which will make wind noise and look ugly.
If you do the box style like the sketch on the previous page shows you avoid the track system. The down side being that the panels would be free to move around in there unless a channel (as suggested) was positioned to guide them in. Doing that though then requires the box to be wider than the panels by however thick the channel is. Since the Freedom panels are as wide as the top, you'd then have a weird overhang on both sides of the hardtop where the box had to extend beyond for the channel. Really, even without a channel, the box would still overhang if you want the panels completely enclosed, but that could be done minimally.
Any method that requires sliding the panels front/back will risk scratching the hardtop or panels.

So now that it sounds like I've crapped all over the idea, I will agree that it's not impossible to make this type of product. I could probably design something that would work, which means someone else can too. The problem is any system that's going to be secure, and able to work from inside the vehicle as described, is not going to be cost effective and will likely require some permanent modifications to the hard top. I don't foresee a marketable solution coming in short of $500+, which is going to have most people looking at the Sunrider or DIY methods.

I guess the point is, OP it's a good idea and can be done. You're not going to find one currently on the market, and if you ever do it will probably be very expensive.
I know the Sunrider has been brought up, and yes it's expensive. Keep an eye on the marketplace here on the forum and get one used. I got a deal on one, and I use it all the time. By far my favorite mod. You can open/close the roof from the driver seat in about 10 seconds. No storage to worry about, and you can still install a roof rack. It's best solution I found, and I'm able to design and make my own rail system, box, etc. if I wanted to. I can't R&D something like that for the price of a used Sunrider.
Looks like it didn't pass the Shark Tank -concept stage. Thanks for the insight. The biggest hurdle would be dimensional aesthetics. Some good ideas on this thread.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
The minivan rail comment got my mind going.

A solid 1 panel freedom top, on rails, that pops up in the back, and then slides up over the rear portion. Much like a sunroof.

OP
OP
Integron

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The minivan rail comment got my mind going.

A solid 1 panel freedom top, on rails, that pops up in the back, and then slides up over the rear portion. Much like a sunroof.
Sure is room for that exact innovation aftermarket or option.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks like it didn't pass the Shark Tank -concept stage. Thanks for the insight. The biggest hurdle would be dimensional aesthetics. Some good ideas on this thread.
LOL.
Agreed, there are some great ideas. Brain storming with other people usually gets you the best result because one idea/comment can give someone else an idea to expand upon.
This is definitely something that can be done, but the big question is will it be affordable?

Sponsored

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
EZUFT.COM
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Sahara
Occupation
Inventor
I keep thinking it would be nice to simply store the freedom panels on the roof so they are easily pulled forward if it starts to rain or snow. In my mind it would be a rail system the panels could slide back out of the way and lock down (weatherproof is a big consideration. I am thinking this is an innovation that could be accomplished to make the hard tops more usable rather than having to store the Freedom panels in the back cargo area. In addition, I am thinking is it possible to store them in a removable roof rack.
9D1AF147-6B58-4CDE-89E9-9CEB31E829C2.jpeg